Zucker eyeing Curry to spice up primetime
December 12, 2012
Who knows if any of the rumors surrounding Jeff Zucker’s upcoming reboot of CNN are true, but they sure are interesting.
The latest, the third this week to appear in The New York Post, is especially juicy. Page Six claims that Zucker is pursing Ann Curry, the former “Today” co-host who was ousted over the summer, to take over CNN’s 8 p.m. timeslot.
There’s a certain symmetry to Curry and Zucker’s stories. Both are “Today” veterans and both were forced out of their positions involuntarily; then-NBCUniversal president Zucker was dismissed after Comcast bought the company almost two years ago.
Curry’s background is in hard news, which has always been CNN’s strength, and she’s arguably being under-utilized now on NBC, where she hosts “Dateline” and continues to do international reporting.
Of course, Curry’s addition would mean current 8 p.m. timeslot holder “Anderson Cooper 360” would either be canceled or relocated. Though Page Six claims it would be axed, the more likely scenario would be for “Cooper” to move to 10 p.m., its former timeslot and a more fitting one for a straight news show.
CNN's primetime ratings dipped to a 20-year low earlier this year. Certainly all the attention over Curry's exit at NBC would provide some ratings momentum for any show she stars in.
Neither CNN nor NBC directly refuted the claim. CNN told The Post any speculation over Zucker’s plans right now is “silly,” while NBC News said that Curry remains under contract.
‘Carmichael Show’ grows in week two
The internet of things, commercialized
A stark outlook for Canadian media
Save this: Fall’s TV premiere dates
‘Pickle and Peanut,’ better than most
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Weekend TV: College football kickoff
Study: Hostile couch potatoes at risk of injury
The scoop on Millennials’ viewing habits
Big surge for ‘Señor de los Cielos’
New from Hulu, commercial-free viewing
Rebekah Brooks back at News Corp. Really.
NFL pushes further into streaming
- Kerri Clark rises to VP at Turner Content Distribution
- Amol Jadhav becomes VP of global expansion at The Weather Co.
- Michelle Harper rises to VP of sales at Cox Media Group
- Tom Betts rises to chief data officer at The Financial Times
- Julie Shapiro becomes executive producer at PRX's Radiotopia
- David Hill and Reginald Hudlin producing ABC's Oscars telecast
- Alex Kingston appearing in BBC America's 'Doctor Who' Christmas special
- Eric Stoltz guesting on CBS's 'Madam Secretary'
- Ross Partridge joins the cast of Netflix's 'Stranger Things'
- Sarah Carter joins CBS's 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Ronny Chieng, Desi Lydic and Roy Wood Jr. join ‘The Daily Show’
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois