‘X Factor’ close to finding its new judges
May 20, 2013
Simon Cowell is apparently hoping for some cross-over appeal with his new pair of judges on “The X Factor.”
The Fox show, which returns for season three this fall, is reportedly close to signing on Paulina Rubio, a hugely popular Mexican singer, for one of the singing competition’s open judge spots vacated by Britney Spears and L.A. Reid.
Rubio has sold some 30 million albums worldwide and could bring a larger audience of Hispanic viewers to the Fox show.
Cowell is also reportedly pursuing Kelly Rowland, best known as a former member of Destiny’s Child, for the fourth open judging slot. Rowland has sold 24 million albums as a solo artist.
Cowell and Demi Lovato, who joined the panel last season, are the only returning judges on the show, which has posted decent but not great ratings in its first two years.
Cowell had hoped that adding media magnet Spears to the show last fall would provide a jolt in ratings, but instead “Factor’s” numbers fell from its initial year.
Summer’s top programming moves
Big shakeup in cable news rankings
ABC’s ‘Black-ish:’ A troubled show
‘Sharknado 2: The Second One,’ ouch
So, what’s the future for print magazines?
Two film directors shooting the breeze
Alas, no comeback for ‘Kirstie’
USA’s ‘WWE Raw’ runs wild on Twitter
ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith for comments
Cable overnights: ‘Hip Hop’ falls but still leads
AOL teams with Havas for programmatic buying
ABC wins Monday with ‘Bachelorette’ finale
This week’s cable ratings
- Nick Sonderup and Andy Grant join ad agency Translation
- Francis Ma rises to VP of content at Brafton
- Andrew Sriubas and Clive Punter joined CBS Outdoor
- Javier Avitia rises to EVP of legal affairs at CBS Studios
- Rachel Smolkin becomes political executive editor at CNN
- Madeleine Haeringer rises to international news EP at NBC
- Eric Noe becomes editor in chief at TakePart.com
- Derek Thompson becomes chief strategy officer at PlaceIQ
- Tom Butler becomes chief revenue officer at Affectiva
- Mike Colter returning to CBS's 'The Good Wife'
- Lea Michele guesting on FX's 'Sons of Anarchy'
- WEEI host Kirk Minihane suspended over Erin Andrews comments
- National Public Radio’s Margot Adler dies at age 68
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer wanted in Cleveland
Digital media planner position in Austin