‘X Factor’ close to finding its new judges
May 20, 2013
Simon Cowell is apparently hoping for some cross-over appeal with his new pair of judges on “The X Factor.”
The Fox show, which returns for season three this fall, is reportedly close to signing on Paulina Rubio, a hugely popular Mexican singer, for one of the singing competition’s open judge spots vacated by Britney Spears and L.A. Reid.
Rubio has sold some 30 million albums worldwide and could bring a larger audience of Hispanic viewers to the Fox show.
Cowell is also reportedly pursuing Kelly Rowland, best known as a former member of Destiny’s Child, for the fourth open judging slot. Rowland has sold 24 million albums as a solo artist.
Cowell and Demi Lovato, who joined the panel last season, are the only returning judges on the show, which has posted decent but not great ratings in its first two years.
Cowell had hoped that adding media magnet Spears to the show last fall would provide a jolt in ratings, but instead “Factor’s” numbers fell from its initial year.
Facebook becomes No. 2 digital ad seller
Tell us, what were the year’s big media stories?
Katie Couric’s talk show ending
NFL: We may delay the Super Bowl
For TV, hitching on to new technology
For social media, embracing mobile
For newspapers, the hard task of change
Fox: We’ll wrap your gifts. Will you watch our shows?
For out of home, increasing interaction
For radio, the year of online listening
For magazines, moving beyond print and digital
Walmart tops list of best holiday ads
Seven predictions for media in 2014
- Thomas Crampton rises to managing director at Social@Ogilvy
- Marshall Ingwerson rises to editor at Christian Science Monitor
- Caterina Bartoli rises to EVP of media at The Media Kitchen
- Alexander Mahernia rises to North America CCO at Rosetta
- Bill Bergmann, Janet Dickinson and Joe Zamora rise at Starz
- Magnus Kastner becomes Northern Europe EVP at Viacom
- Henry B. Haitz III becomes Connecticut president at Hearst
- Jeanne Whalen joins the health and science bureau at Wall Street Journal
- Randy Minor becomes design director at Elle magazine
- Marcia Cross joins Fox's comedy pilot 'Fatrick'
- Josh Peck guesting on CBS's 'The Big Bang Theory'
- Judy Davis joins Fox's '24: Live Another Day'
- Actress Kristen Johnston diagnosed with rare form of lupus
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Freelance media planner opening in Chicago
Social media strategist job in Washington D.C.
Media buyer position in Colorado Springs
Senior media planner opening in New York
Senior media buyer and planner in Denver