‘X Factor’ close to finding its new judges
May 20, 2013
Simon Cowell is apparently hoping for some cross-over appeal with his new pair of judges on “The X Factor.”
The Fox show, which returns for season three this fall, is reportedly close to signing on Paulina Rubio, a hugely popular Mexican singer, for one of the singing competition’s open judge spots vacated by Britney Spears and L.A. Reid.
Rubio has sold some 30 million albums worldwide and could bring a larger audience of Hispanic viewers to the Fox show.
Cowell is also reportedly pursuing Kelly Rowland, best known as a former member of Destiny’s Child, for the fourth open judging slot. Rowland has sold 24 million albums as a solo artist.
Cowell and Demi Lovato, who joined the panel last season, are the only returning judges on the show, which has posted decent but not great ratings in its first two years.
Cowell had hoped that adding media magnet Spears to the show last fall would provide a jolt in ratings, but instead “Factor’s” numbers fell from its initial year.
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
Cable overnights: NBA playoffs stay strong
Nielsen: Half of older people have smartphones
CBS’s ‘Mother’ finale shoots up with DVRs
- Jason Lee becomes senior director of digital at MEC
- Kristen Baldwin rises to deputy editor at Entertainment Weekly
- Nancy Cohen becomes SVP of sales and sponsorship at BabyFirst
- VH1 VPs Brad Abramson and Kari McFarland among cuts at the network
- Reuters finance and news media writer Felix Salmon exits
- Steven Petrow becomes advice columnist at The Washington Post
- Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Richard Turley exits
- Susan Kittenplan becomes executive editor of media initiatives at Yahoo
- Keith Cramer becomes VP of business development at MediaAlpha
- Tom Quinn becomes general manager at YieldexDirect for Advertisers
- Craig Zadan and Neil Meron producing ABC's Oscars telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia