‘World News’ posts biggest 25-54 lead in six years
July 9, 2014
David Muir’s looking like a pretty capable heir apparent to Diane Sawyer, who is leaving “ABC World News” at the end of the summer.
Subbing in for Sawyer during the July 4 holiday week, Muir pulled very good numbers.
“World News” averaged 1.88 million viewers in the news demo 25-54 during the week ended July 6, according to Nielsen, No. 1 for the week ahead of “NBC Nightly News” at 1.73 million and “CBS Evening News” at 1.32 million.
That was ABC’s largest lead over NBC in the demo since February 2008, and the newscast has finished No. 1 among 25-54s in seven of the past 13 weeks.
That said, NBC did continue to hold a slight edge among total viewers last week, averaging 7.51 million to ABC’s 7.44 million. CBS was third for the week with 5.75 million.
Because of the holiday, the Friday broadcast was not counted toward weekly ratings. Only Monday through Thursday were used.
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Cover up: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
Study: Tube time really adds up over the years
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
More fallout from botched UVA rape story
Four hot trends in online advertising
- Andrea Gustafson becomes design director at Havas Worldwide
- Tim Dingersen and Morgan Leykam join Reason2Be
- Danielle Maged becomes EVP of partnerships at Fox Networks
- Margaret de Streel rises to international editor at Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Gregg Sulzberger rises to associate editor at The NY Times
- Alex Berkett becomes SVP of corporate development at Viacom
- David O’Connell rises to EVP of production management at NBCU
- John Cook becomes acting executive editor at Gawker
- Vicky Ward and David Bouley join Town & Country
- Scott Nelson becomes head of Viber North America
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta