‘World News’ posts biggest 25-54 lead in six years
July 9, 2014
David Muir’s looking like a pretty capable heir apparent to Diane Sawyer, who is leaving “ABC World News” at the end of the summer.
Subbing in for Sawyer during the July 4 holiday week, Muir pulled very good numbers.
“World News” averaged 1.88 million viewers in the news demo 25-54 during the week ended July 6, according to Nielsen, No. 1 for the week ahead of “NBC Nightly News” at 1.73 million and “CBS Evening News” at 1.32 million.
That was ABC’s largest lead over NBC in the demo since February 2008, and the newscast has finished No. 1 among 25-54s in seven of the past 13 weeks.
That said, NBC did continue to hold a slight edge among total viewers last week, averaging 7.51 million to ABC’s 7.44 million. CBS was third for the week with 5.75 million.
Because of the holiday, the Friday broadcast was not counted toward weekly ratings. Only Monday through Thursday were used.
Summer’s winners and losers so far
Wack job: A Donald Trump rantalogue
Lighter crowd for ‘Teen Beach Movie 2′
‘Food Paradise International,’ remote on
So tell us, how are upfront negotiations going?
And now, ‘Extant’ version 2.0
Upfront update: Now Fox is done
Trump to Univision: I want $500 million
Lester Holt starts strong as ‘Nightly News’ anchor
Sunday’s ‘BET Awards’ slips on Twitter
NBC’s ‘Ninja’ and ‘Island’ grow
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Upfront update: CBS nears finish line
- David 'Doc' O'Connor becomes CEO at Madison Square Garden Co.
- Ali Salama rises to publisher at Bloomberg Pursuits
- Nigel M. Smith becomes U.S. entertainment writer at The Guardian
- Peter Oborne becomes political columnist at The Daily Mail
- Kaelyn Forde becomes executive editor of news at Refinery29
- Patrick McGraw becomes SVP and GM at Marketing Management Analytics
- Peter Roland becomes Toronto VP and GM at Mode Media
- Patrizio Spagnoletto becomes CMO at SteelHouse
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta
Media planner position in Minneapolis
Media buyer position in Sacramento