‘World News’ posts biggest 25-54 lead in six years
July 9, 2014
David Muir’s looking like a pretty capable heir apparent to Diane Sawyer, who is leaving “ABC World News” at the end of the summer.
Subbing in for Sawyer during the July 4 holiday week, Muir pulled very good numbers.
“World News” averaged 1.88 million viewers in the news demo 25-54 during the week ended July 6, according to Nielsen, No. 1 for the week ahead of “NBC Nightly News” at 1.73 million and “CBS Evening News” at 1.32 million.
That was ABC’s largest lead over NBC in the demo since February 2008, and the newscast has finished No. 1 among 25-54s in seven of the past 13 weeks.
That said, NBC did continue to hold a slight edge among total viewers last week, averaging 7.51 million to ABC’s 7.44 million. CBS was third for the week with 5.75 million.
Because of the holiday, the Friday broadcast was not counted toward weekly ratings. Only Monday through Thursday were used.
Merely an okay audience for Trump’s big speech
NBC sweeps Republican convention coverage
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Roger Ailes resigns, and Rupert Murdoch steps in
Readers: Fox News will be fine without Ailes
Finding the right Spanish-English media balance
On the way, a new way to measure radio
Rachel, I just can’t get anywhere here
Weekend TV: AMC wraps ‘Hell on Wheels’
Cable overnights: ‘Mr. Robot’ slips in second week
How Nielsen is beefing up its ad viewability options
NBC tops Fox and CBS combined on Wednesday
British Open scores for new carrier NBC
- Jeff Davidoff becomes president at Walton Isaacson
- Renato Fernandez and Doug Menezes rise at TBWA
- Isaac Mizrahi becomes chair-elect at AHAA
- John Solaro and Roger Tsai join Disney|ABC Television Group
- Sarah Geismer becomes VP of comedy at 20th Century Fox TV
- Diego Rodriguez becomes chief security officer at Univision
- Chris Mancivalano becomes associate marketing director at People en Español
- Meghan Bentley becomes VP of business development at Tapad
- Damian Hurley joins the cast of E!'s 'The Royals'
- Malik Yoba joins ABC's 'Designated Survivor'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: May 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
Needed: Print media buyer in Chicago
Digital media buyer wanted in El Segundo
Media buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media planner wanted in Salt Lake City
Direct mail media planner job in Minneapolis