Wired editor in chief Chris Anderson leaving
November 5, 2012
Chris Anderson, one of Condé Nast’s defining editors, will no longer be editing.
The longtime editor in chief of Wired is stepping down in order to become chief executive officer of the startup 3D Robotics, a company based in San Diego that manufactures drones.
Anderson co-founded the company three years ago.
Under Anderson’s leadership, Wired won the National Magazine Awards’ general excellence award three times and saw its influence in the magazine world soar.
Anderson wrote three books during his 11-year tenure, though his time wasn’t without controversy. He admitted to lifting from a Wikipedia article in crafting one of those tomes.
Anderson announced his exit on Friday. He will leave by year’s end, and Condé Nast has begun a search for his replacement.
In a statement, he said that working for 3D Robotics fulfilled “an entrepreneurial dream.”
As he tweeted on Friday, “Bittersweet day. Leaving beloved @wired team after 11+ yrs. Joining young @3drobotics team w/ great things ahead.”
Tags: 3d robotics, chief executive officer, chris anderson, chris anderson wired, Cond Nast, conde nast, editor in chief, magazine editors, magazines, National Magazine Awards, san diego, time, wired, wired magazine
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
MLB enters the postseason on the rise
Here it is, big talk on Advertising Week
‘Bad Judge,’ just all around way bad
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
On’Minds,’ new face for an aging show
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ grows in 18-49s
FX and FXX pick up new comedies
A record gain in L+3 for ABC’s ‘Murder’
New dramas hold up on Monday night
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ premiere sizzles on Twitter
This week’s cable ratings
- Robert Hannan and Mark Mylan rise at Carat USA
- Frances Berwick rises to president of lifestyle networks at NBCU
- Ben Price and Simon Robinson rise at Discovery Communications
- Mari Ghuneim and Daniel Manu join truTV
- Eddie Dalva rises to EVP of content at Viacom Entertainment
- Bennett Fogel rises to EVP and CRO at NCM Media Networks
- Justin Schaflander and Jason Mosher rise at iHeartMedia
- Scott Brady becomes VP of sales and analytics at StartApp
- Bruce Robertson rises to EVP at ITV Studios America
- Kris Van Cleave becomes a correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Claudio 'El Emperador' Suarez becomes an analyst at Fox Deportes
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.
Radio media buyer opening in Orange, California