TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia