TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
Second-best Emmys in eight years
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit