TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
ABC wins first night of November sweeps
Game 7 smacks a home run for Fox
A buyer’s primer on out of home measurement
‘Olive Kitteridge,’ fine tale brilliantly told
Rachel, talk to me about networking
The new frontier: Digital out of home
Best tube bets this weekend
So, who will win the November sweeps?
The complete TV schedule for election night
‘Sleepy Hollow’ scares up some buzz with Lyft
NBC Universal renews Meredith Vieira’s show
Native advertising gives NY Times a lift
NBC keeps on riding the Breeder’s Cup
- Jessie McGuire becomes U.S. strategy director at Elmwood
- Greg McAlinden becomes creative director at ODD
- Nick Ascheim rises and Shaun Hekking joins at BBC Worldwide
- Jonathan Hills becomes VP of digital media at Bravo Media
- Debbie Reichig becomes SVP of sales research at Twentieth TV
- Isaac Payam Ahdout becomes SVP of engineering at Tapad
- Fred Melamed joins Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Lily Rabe appearing on FX's 'American Horror Story'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' cast guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
- Joel McHale remaining host of E!’s ‘The Soup’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer wanted in Las Vegas
Junior media buyer opening in Venice, California
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin