TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
A strong sendoff for NBC’s ‘Parenthood’
Readers: It will be a record Super Bowl
The rest of the best of the Super Bowl
‘Kids Baking Championship,’ what fun
Rachel, the stress from work is too much
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘Americans’ dips slightly
New from Snapchat, meet Discover
Survey: Native advertising will soar this year
Coming soon: Nick without the cable bill
Disney Junior planning Latin-inspired princess
‘Empire’ holds steady in fourth week
- Jeremy Gibney and Rob Esmundo join San Francisco agency Eleven
- Paul Pastor becomes EVP of network strategy at Discovery Channel
- Amy Hyland and Justin Nesci rise at Nickelodeon
- Pete Rumpel becomes chief sales officer at ABI Research
- Lincoln Lopez becomes VP and GM of social media at Univision
- Jim Lawson becomes regional manager at iHeartMedia
- John Reiss rises to executive producer at NBC's 'Meet the Press'
- Roberto Ruiz becomes news anchor at Azteca America
- Tyler James Williams joins CBS's 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Looking to fill a media planner job in Chicago
Senior media connections planner/buyer in Columbus
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York