TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Welcome to Central Perk, 20 years later
‘Tim & Eric’s Bedtime Stories,’ sip a few
Tell us, which new fall TV shows will survive?
For buff dating, some boffo ratings
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Needed ASAP: Media buyer in Fort Worth
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner