TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
Cable overnights: A surge for ‘Suits’
Washington Post: Iran detained our reporter
Ahhh, a little light mooding for ‘Sharknado 2′
Study: Good Twitter buzz can really lift a movie
More rumors about ‘Meet the Press’ host
A night of ups and downs for broadcast
Two more summer shows get the axe
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
‘Married,’ funny, yes. Deep? No.
For Fox, extra helpings of chef Ramsay
No ‘Jump of the Century’ after all
Cable overnights: ‘Rizzoli’ rises in 18-49s
A college radio fundraiser gone awry
- CBS Outdoor president and COO Wally Kelly exiting
- Matt Miller becomes ECD at BBDO San Francisco
- Drew Brown becomes SVP of production at AMC
- Denise Vance rises to head of U.S. video and radio at the AP
- Josh Topolsky becomes an online editor at Bloomberg
- David Rubin becomes head of brand at Pinterest
- Amie Deutch becomes publisher at Tasting Table
- Caroline Sheu becomes chief marketing officer at Care.com
- Paul Burden becomes SVP of sales at XAPPmedia
- Maude Apatow guesting on HBO's 'Girls'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford