TWC secures deal for Lakers networks
November 5, 2012
Despite some impressive off-season acquisitions, the Los Angeles Lakers are off to an unimpressive start, with just one win in four games.
But now at least more people in the LA area will be able to see them play.
Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Cox Communications, one of the area’s bigger cable companies, to distribute its new networks, SportsNet and Deportes.
The networks won the rights to this season’s Lakers games, but TWC has had trouble locking in distribution deals because of what cable companies are complaining are unreasonable per-subscriber rates. It wants a reported $3.95.
But yesterday TWC and Cox settled their differences, bringing the number of local systems where SportsNet and Deportes are available to five: Cox, Charter, Bright House, Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-verse.
TWC remains at odds with DISH Network, DirecTV and Comcast.
The two channels will air 70 of the Lakers’ 82 games this season.
Fox rolls to a July sweeps victory
Who listens to the most radio? Hispanics.
Family viewing isn’t dead. It’s on cable.
‘Mr. Robinson,’ off to an early funeral
Tell us your thoughts on radio
For ‘The Game,’ one final play
OMG: Meet Tiger Beat’s new investors
On the horizon, a DVR for the Xbox
‘Wild’ matches second-best rating
Summer’s DVR winners: ‘Pines’ and ‘Dome’
UFC fight pounds the Twitter competition
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Coming, a new way to listen to FM radio
- Jeffrey Gorder, Jane Delworth and Paula Biondich rise at mono
- Jennifer Putnam becomes CCO at Allen & Gerritsen
- Hollie Newton becomes executive creative director at Sunshine
- Katy Loria rises to chief revenue officer at Screenvision
- Marty Sartini Garner rises to senior editor at Flood Magazine
- Tasha Blasi Pannuzzo becomes SVP of marketing at Westwood One
- Oren Liebermann and Matt Rivers join CNN International
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum joins the cast of CBS's 'Supergirl'
- James Cromwell joins HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Falk Hentschel joins CW's 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Vivica A. Fox and Romeo Miller join TV One holiday movies
- Carla Gugino joins Showtime's upcoming 'Roadies'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois