Tribune finally finds its man: Liguori
January 18, 2013
After weeks of rumors, the troubled Tribune Co. finally made it official yesterday: Peter Liguori is the new chief executive officer, taking over after years of turmoil for the media company, which just recently pulled out of bankruptcy.
He succeeds Eddy Hartenstein, the publisher of the Los Angeles Times, who had been interim CEO for nearly two years.
Liguori is a well-respected former television executive who recent served as chief operating officer at Discovery Communications and was at Fox before that.
He faces a huge number of challenges, and one of his first moves is expected to be engineering a selloff of all or most of Tribune’s newspapers.
The company owns eight dailies, including the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. Its new owners, a number of private equity firms, have suggested that they want to transition their focus to television and new media.
The company went into bankruptcy under former owner Sam Zell, who bought Tribune in 2007. His tenure was a mess, marked by embarrassing stories about top executives and a huge number of job cuts.
Employees complained that Zell and his cohorts didn’t understand newspapers and made silly suggestions.
Tags: bankruptcy, CEO, ceo tribune, Discovery Communications, Eddy Hartenstein, los angeles times, media, new media, newspapers, operating officer, Peter Liguori, sam zell, television, tribune ceo, tribune co., tribune newspapers for sale
The Mad Hatter chats it up at Disneyland
NBC takes Tuesday with ‘The Voice’ finale
Shocker: Boomers aren’t so different from Millennials
CBS makes a clean sweep of the season
Western Conference finals score a slam dunk
The secrets to advertising on Snapchat
So what’s your take on the fall schedules?
For ‘Nashville,’ the abrupt end of the melody
Estrella upfront: Spinoffs and summer talent shows
What’s next in the Bill Cosby criminal case
Surprise: ABC surges past NBC on final Monday
Billboard Music Awards tumble on Twitter
Imagine, cable TV brought to you by Hulu
- Rachel Mercer becomes digital strategy director at Deutsch
- Becka Walter-Vigorito and Silmo Bonomi join VML
- Krysten de Quesada rises to account director at Pinta
- Kt Thayer becomes creative director at Crispin Porter + Bogusky
- María Martínez-Guzmán and Gabriela Tristán rise at Univision
- Keith Summa, George Lansbury and Alexis Madrigal rise at Fusion
- Dana Bowen becomes executive editor at Martha Stewart Living
- Dayne Damme becomes marketing director at Entercom
- Madelin Bosakewich becomes VP of sales at IBT Media
- George Grobar rises to COO at Penske Media Corp.
- Jim Shilale becomes global head of supply at Cuebiq
- Michael Azzolino becomes EVP of creative affairs at ITV Studios
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Freelance broadcast planner/buyer available
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer
Memphis agency seeks a media planner
Needed: Globally conscious sales/marketing rep