Tribune finally finds its man: Liguori
January 18, 2013
After weeks of rumors, the troubled Tribune Co. finally made it official yesterday: Peter Liguori is the new chief executive officer, taking over after years of turmoil for the media company, which just recently pulled out of bankruptcy.
He succeeds Eddy Hartenstein, the publisher of the Los Angeles Times, who had been interim CEO for nearly two years.
Liguori is a well-respected former television executive who recent served as chief operating officer at Discovery Communications and was at Fox before that.
He faces a huge number of challenges, and one of his first moves is expected to be engineering a selloff of all or most of Tribune’s newspapers.
The company owns eight dailies, including the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. Its new owners, a number of private equity firms, have suggested that they want to transition their focus to television and new media.
The company went into bankruptcy under former owner Sam Zell, who bought Tribune in 2007. His tenure was a mess, marked by embarrassing stories about top executives and a huge number of job cuts.
Employees complained that Zell and his cohorts didn’t understand newspapers and made silly suggestions.
Tags: bankruptcy, CEO, ceo tribune, Discovery Communications, Eddy Hartenstein, los angeles times, media, new media, newspapers, operating officer, Peter Liguori, sam zell, television, tribune ceo, tribune co., tribune newspapers for sale
Facebook hits 1 million advertisers
FX picks up Grammer and Lawrence comedy
Readers: Fox has the weakest schedule
Forecast: Solid UK ad spending growth
Study: Rich people shop online more
Remembering James Gandolfini (Tony)
Globe will begin printing Herald daily
NBA Finals heading for a huge finale
So, what’s your take on magazines these days?
‘Hannibal,’ an acquired taste, perhaps
Strong finale for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
Game 3 sets a record for NBC Sports Network
- Brian Powley rises to global president at iCrossing
- Steven Berns becomes CFO at Tribune Co.
- Terry Moran becomes chief foreign correspondent at ABC News
- Ben Gerst becomes SVP of development at Fox Sports Digital
- Ryan O'Hara becomes president of content at MSG
- Nancy Cohen becomes SVP of ad sales at UP
- TV writer Lisa de Moraes joins Deadline Hollywood
- Alex Price rises to director of Southeast sales at MundoFox
- Sue Renaldo becomes director of operations at Talent Partners
- John Hurt joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Liv Tyler joins HBO's 'The Leftovers'
- Fox News contributor Tobin Smith exits
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Director of digital ad operations in New York
Digital media planner job in London
Digital media director in San Diego
Broadcast investment supervisor in Toronto
Freelance broadcast buyer available