Tribune finally finds its man: Liguori
January 18, 2013
After weeks of rumors, the troubled Tribune Co. finally made it official yesterday: Peter Liguori is the new chief executive officer, taking over after years of turmoil for the media company, which just recently pulled out of bankruptcy.
He succeeds Eddy Hartenstein, the publisher of the Los Angeles Times, who had been interim CEO for nearly two years.
Liguori is a well-respected former television executive who recent served as chief operating officer at Discovery Communications and was at Fox before that.
He faces a huge number of challenges, and one of his first moves is expected to be engineering a selloff of all or most of Tribune’s newspapers.
The company owns eight dailies, including the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. Its new owners, a number of private equity firms, have suggested that they want to transition their focus to television and new media.
The company went into bankruptcy under former owner Sam Zell, who bought Tribune in 2007. His tenure was a mess, marked by embarrassing stories about top executives and a huge number of job cuts.
Employees complained that Zell and his cohorts didn’t understand newspapers and made silly suggestions.
Tags: bankruptcy, CEO, ceo tribune, Discovery Communications, Eddy Hartenstein, los angeles times, media, new media, newspapers, operating officer, Peter Liguori, sam zell, television, tribune ceo, tribune co., tribune newspapers for sale
‘Carmichael Show’ grows in week two
The internet of things, commercialized
A stark outlook for Canadian media
Save this: Fall’s TV premiere dates
‘Pickle and Peanut,’ better than most
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Weekend TV: College football kickoff
Study: Hostile couch potatoes at risk of injury
The scoop on Millennials’ viewing habits
Big surge for ‘Señor de los Cielos’
New from Hulu, commercial-free viewing
Rebekah Brooks back at News Corp. Really.
NFL pushes further into streaming
- Kerri Clark rises to VP at Turner Content Distribution
- Amol Jadhav becomes VP of global expansion at The Weather Co.
- Michelle Harper rises to VP of sales at Cox Media Group
- Tom Betts rises to chief data officer at The Financial Times
- Julie Shapiro becomes executive producer at PRX's Radiotopia
- David Hill and Reginald Hudlin producing ABC's Oscars telecast
- Alex Kingston appearing in BBC America's 'Doctor Who' Christmas special
- Eric Stoltz guesting on CBS's 'Madam Secretary'
- Ross Partridge joins the cast of Netflix's 'Stranger Things'
- Sarah Carter joins CBS's 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Ronny Chieng, Desi Lydic and Roy Wood Jr. join ‘The Daily Show’
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois