Top TV and movie podcasts: ‘Westworld’ rules
November 28, 2016
HBO’s first-year drama “Westworld” certainly has people talking, and that can only be a good thing for the cable network.
Four “Westworld”-related shows are among the top 10 TV and movie podcast on iTunes as of Nov. 28, easily more than any other TV program.
This likely signifies two things. First, the program has a reputation for having many different theories and layers, as well as multiple timelines, which gives people plenty to talk about. Also, people are clearly interested in the show enough to want to hear others discuss their own thoughts and theories.
Topping the list is “Decoding Westworld,” hosted by Cut.com head of programming David Chen and Vanity Fair senior writer Joanna Robinson. Each week the duo looks at the best and worst moments of each episode.
Coming in at No. 4 is the “Shat on TV Podcast,” in which Roger Roper, Dick Ebert and Gene Lions deliver humorous quick takes on the series.
In “Watching Westworld” from Bald Move, hosts Jim and A.Ron talk about everything show-related, including the show’s multiple timelines (there are now four at last count). That podcast is at No. 6 on the TV and movie list.
Finally, coming in at No. 10 is a “Westworld” podcast from “The Coffee Klatch Crew,” which produces podcasts on other TV shows including “Mr. Robot” and “Game of Thrones.”
“Westworld” certainly has had a successful first season, and if the number of top-performing podcasts are any indication, it should be around for some time.
Top 10 TV and Movie Podcasts
Courtesy of iTunes
1. “Decoding Westworld” David Chen and Joanna Robinson
2. “Insecuritea: The Insecure Aftershow” Loud Speakers Network –
3. “Pop Culture Happy Hour” NPR
4. “Roger Roeper & Dick Ebert” Shat on TV Podcasts
5. “Til Death Do Us Blart” Tim Batt, Guy Montgomery, The McElroy Brothers
6. “Watching Westworld” Bald Move
7. “You Must Remember This” Karina Longworth / Panoply
8. “FRONTLINE: Audiocast | PBS” Frontline
9. “The Watch” The Ringer
10. “Westworld” Coffee Klatch Crew Podcast
New York leads the Ellie nominations, once again
CBS’s ‘Hunted’: Little hope of sustaining its big bow
Best of the week: On the origins of fake news
In this digital age, the allure of alternative OOH
Digital radio: A primer for media planners and buyers
Weekend TV: ‘Beaches’ for a new generation
Cable overnights: Good start for ‘Six’ on History
Warriors-Cavs sets three-year high on TNT
The rundown on media coverage of the inauguration
New sitcom ‘Speechless’ tops a slow Wednesday
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
This week’s broadcast ratings
- Michael Lieberman becomes CSO at Kinetic Worldwide
- Ryan Haskins becomes director of media at Figliulo&Partners
- Deborah Furey becomes SVP of strategy at Wunderman Health
- Martin McDonald becomes VP of strategic sales at V Digital Services
- Bob Johns becomes chief revenue officer at Big Outdoor
- Chris Brooks rises to EVP of distribution at CW
- Salil Mehta becomes president at FoxNext
- David Perpich becomes president and GM at The Wirecutter
- Jessica Sebor and Aaron Hersh rise at Competitor Group
- Jeff Hackett joins and Mike Owen rises at AdColony
- James Frain joins CBS All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York