Top tech podcasts: Talking about Gimlet’s ‘Reply All’
November 21, 2016
Each week, Media Life profiles a different genre of podcast and brings you that week’s top 10.
There are many podcasts that stand alone – they’re offshoots of a magazine or a business or just a few random people who decide they want to yak at length about a certain subject.
But, increasingly, there are also multiple podcasts that belong to one company. Their sole purpose is producing these shows, and they often have a variety of them they can advertise all together across social media and such.
The hope is someone will tune in to one podcast, enjoy it, and check out what else the site has to offer.
One such network is Gimlet, which currently offers 10 podcasts. It’s been in business for two years, and the subjects of its podcasts range from organized crime in Providence, Rhode Island, to a “best-of” show that compiles the week’s best podcast moments from around the web.
Another of Gimlet’s podcasts is “Reply All,” which regularly ranks among the top technology podcasts.
The show, hosted by Alex Goldman, is all about the internet. But other random topics tangentially related to the internet, such as famous dogs, trained rats, time travel, phone scammers with sad love lives and more, also pop up each week.
The most recent episode focuses the host taking phone calls from anyone who wants to talk for 48 hours straight, and it ranked No. 2 among all technology podcasts Sunday, according to iTunes.
Top 10 Technology Podcasts (Nov. 20)
Courtesy of iTunes
1. “TED Radio Hour” (NPR)
2. “Reply All” (Gimlet)
3. “Note to Self” (WNYC Studios)
4. “TEDTalks” (TEDTalks)
5. “World’s Funniest Ringtones” (Hahaas Comedy Ringtones)
6. “Decrypted” (Bloomberg News)
7. “Codebreaker” (Marketplace)
8. “This Week in Tech” (TWiT)
9. “The Tech Guy” (TWiT)
10. “TechStuff” (HowStuffWorks.com)
ABC and CBS tie for first on Friday night
Michelle Obama boosts NBC’s ‘Tonight Show’
Richard Beckman hops to a new media venture
Hacker hijinks: Station stuck with anti-Trump song
Trump inauguration draws 30.6 million viewers
CBS takes Thursday night with ‘Big Bang Theory’
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
New York leads the Ellie nominations, once again
CBS’s ‘Hunted’: Little hope of sustaining its big bow
Best of the week: On the origins of fake news
In this digital age, the allure of alternative OOH
Digital radio: A primer for media planners and buyers
Weekend TV: ‘Beaches’ for a new generation
- John Deschner becomes chief innovation officer at TBWA
- Tiffany Egan becomes Australia managing director at DWA
- Robert Langer becomes EVP and CFO at Disney|ABC Television
- Jim Fielding becomes president of consumer products at Fox
- Betty Chen and Tyler Massey join IM Global Television
- Nadine Santos rises to director of programming at Music Choice
- Jane Lynch joins the cast of Discovery Channel's 'Manifesto'
- Kristen Stewart hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York