‘Today’ regains top spot with the Games
August 6, 2012
Thanks to the summer Olympics, NBC's "Today" has snapped "Good Morning America's" five-week winning streak among total viewers.
"Today" had its most-watched week in months for the week ended Aug. 5, outdrawing "GMA" every day.
Viewership peaked on Thursday with 5.94 million total viewers, according to Nielsen fast affiliate ratings. Final numbers won't be out until later this week, but indications are that NBC will have no problem winning as it topped "GMA" every day.
The network was clearly boosted by the Olympics presence, with the previous night's biggest stars appearing on "Today" each morning, including the gold medal-winning women's gymnastics team and swimming star Missy Franklin.
The ratings increase appears to be due to more people watching in the morning rather than people tuning out of ABC's "GMA."
"GMA's" viewership was actually quite stable from the previous week, with its biggest single drop just 12 percent.
"Today" and "GMA" have been locked in a fight for leadership since April, when "GMA" snapped "Today's" 17-year win streak among total viewers.
"GMA" ended "Today's" similarly long win streak among adults 25-54 just two weeks ago.
Super Bowl surprise: ‘Good Wife’ is ending
Tell us, which Super Bowl ads did you like?
The Super Bowl by the numbers
Republican debate draws good crowd
‘Shark Tank’ pushes ABC to another Friday win
‘CBS This Morning’ hits viewership milestone
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- Jason Patric joins the cast of Fox's 'Wayward Pines'
- Zelda Williams, Alberto Frezza and Eli Goree join Freeform's 'Dead of Summer'
- Catherine Hardwicke joins USA's upcoming 'Eyewitness'
- Ice-T and Coco hosting Oxygen Valentine's Day marathon
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager