‘Today’ regains top spot with the Games
August 6, 2012
Thanks to the summer Olympics, NBC's "Today" has snapped "Good Morning America's" five-week winning streak among total viewers.
"Today" had its most-watched week in months for the week ended Aug. 5, outdrawing "GMA" every day.
Viewership peaked on Thursday with 5.94 million total viewers, according to Nielsen fast affiliate ratings. Final numbers won't be out until later this week, but indications are that NBC will have no problem winning as it topped "GMA" every day.
The network was clearly boosted by the Olympics presence, with the previous night's biggest stars appearing on "Today" each morning, including the gold medal-winning women's gymnastics team and swimming star Missy Franklin.
The ratings increase appears to be due to more people watching in the morning rather than people tuning out of ABC's "GMA."
"GMA's" viewership was actually quite stable from the previous week, with its biggest single drop just 12 percent.
"Today" and "GMA" have been locked in a fight for leadership since April, when "GMA" snapped "Today's" 17-year win streak among total viewers.
"GMA" ended "Today's" similarly long win streak among adults 25-54 just two weeks ago.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘Relative Insanity,’ totally inane
For NBC’s Thursday, an early close
Cable overnights: New high for ‘Chrisley’
The word: FCC guts net neutrality rules
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia