‘Today’ regains top spot among morning shows
February 19, 2014
NBC’s “Today” snapped “Good Morning America’s” 77-week winning streak among total viewers during its first full week of Olympics coverage.
“Today” finished first among the morning shows in both viewers and adults 25-54 during the week ended Feb. 16, boosted by its presence at the Sochi Games. NBC is the exclusive broadcaster of the Olympics.
But it was surprisingly close between the two shows.
“Today” averaged 6.221 million total viewers, according to Nielsen, its most-watched week since the royal wedding took place in April 2011. “GMA” was right behind with 6.01 million.
Interestingly, both networks were actually up over the previous week, indicating that “Today” didn’t really draw people away from “GMA.” It likely just drew in more people interested in the Olympics.
That’s quite a change from the last Winter Games, when “Today” had a lead of 1.884 million during the first week.
Among 25-54s, “Today” averaged 2.545 million viewers, 185,000 ahead of “GMA.”
Those marked “Today’s” biggest leads over its rivals since the second week of the London Games in 2012.
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
Meredith buys more health titles
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
GoDaddy yanks controversial Super Bowl ad
CBS’s ‘CSI’ surges to season high Tuesday
State of the Union soars on Twitter
It’s now suddenly tight among 18-49s
NBC’s big Super Bowl bet on ‘Blacklist’
How cable plans to counter Super Bowl
‘Fortitude,’ murder in a faraway place
Russian spies and their family ties
- Bryce McTavish becomes SVP at The Integer Group
- Betsy Fischer Martin becomes contributing editor at More
- Brent Cunningham joins Food & Environment Reporting Network
- Rehan Iqbal and Garen Karnikian rise at True North
- Ari Buchalter and Michael Lamb become co-presidents at MediaMath
- Jacob Chappell becomes VP of sales at SOCi
- Shania Twain starring in ABC concert special
- Jerry Ferrara joins Starz's drama 'Power'
- Nick Jonas joins the cast of Fox's 'Scream Queens'
- Rita Ora performing on ABC's Academy Awards telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York
Assistant digital media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Media planner/buyer position in Baltimore