Time winding down for John Huey
November 15, 2012
After six years on the job, it’s apparently Time for John Huey to move on.
The editor in chief of Time Inc. will be gone by year’s end, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly, stepping aside of his own accord as his 65th birthday nears next spring.
It’s unclear if he has any future plans lined up.
Huey led the magazine publisher during a time of transition. Time Inc. cut hundreds of jobs during his tenure as magazine ad revenue fell sharply.
He’s also helped shepherd the company into the digital age despite deep uncertainty as to what that means for the print industry.
He stayed on through three different chief executive officers, including Laura Lang, the former Digitas chief who joined in January.
Huey took over the top editorial spot in 2006, succeeding Norm Pearlstine. Before that he served a five-year stint as editorial director, and he was editor of Fortune before that.
Martha Nelson, currently Huey’s No. 2, is expected to inherit his job. She has worked at People and InStyle.
Nikki Finke may have a new purpose in 2015
Tell us, what was the big story of 2014?
Facebook: ‘Thrones’ was the year’s top show
Final tally: 190 new magazines launched in 2014
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
Sony: We’ll be releasing ‘The Interview.’ Really.
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
An up and down year for broadcast
The buzziest new cable shows of 2015
Our OOH outlook: More connectivity
Our newspaper outlook: Not good
Our magazine outlook: More upheaval
The ad outlook for 2015: Pretty decent
- Helen Prokos becomes group creative director at Publicis Hawkeye
- James Florez becomes Dallas GM at Allison+Partners
- Robyn Hurd, Michael Oesterlin and Lorenzo Bertolotti join A+E
- Nate Lanxon becomes senior editor at Bloomberg Media
- Marian Bull becomes associate digital editor at Saveur
- Byron Pitts becomes co-anchor at ABC's 'Nightline'
- Annie Wersching joins CW's 'The Vampire Diaries'
- Daniel Wu joins the cast of AMC's 'Badlands'
- Ashley Tisdale guesting on ABC Family's 'Young & Hungry'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver