Time winding down for John Huey
November 15, 2012
After six years on the job, it’s apparently Time for John Huey to move on.
The editor in chief of Time Inc. will be gone by year’s end, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly, stepping aside of his own accord as his 65th birthday nears next spring.
It’s unclear if he has any future plans lined up.
Huey led the magazine publisher during a time of transition. Time Inc. cut hundreds of jobs during his tenure as magazine ad revenue fell sharply.
He’s also helped shepherd the company into the digital age despite deep uncertainty as to what that means for the print industry.
He stayed on through three different chief executive officers, including Laura Lang, the former Digitas chief who joined in January.
Huey took over the top editorial spot in 2006, succeeding Norm Pearlstine. Before that he served a five-year stint as editorial director, and he was editor of Fortune before that.
Martha Nelson, currently Huey’s No. 2, is expected to inherit his job. She has worked at People and InStyle.
ABC’s summer play: Riding the NBA
‘Late Show’ finale hits 21-year high
‘The Briefcase,’ fit for a steamer trunk
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Let the long string of reboots begin
A new high after all for ‘Mad Men’
TLC yanks ’19 Kids and Counting’
Overnights: ABC wins first Friday of summer
Solid gains for ‘CBS This Morning’
Time Warner Cable gets a new suitor
‘Modern Family’ falls to a new low
Once again, ABC wins May sweep
This fall’s five big timeslot battles
- Ann Sarnoff rises to president at BBC Worldwide North America
- Susan Malfa becomes EVP of national ad sales at Estrella TV
- Laura Kalehoff becomes director of branded content at Hearst Digital
- Grace-Ann Bafna, Callista Nurimba and Chloe Slench join Onion Inc.
- Ellie Duque becomes publisher at Entertainment Weekly
- Josh Swade becomes executive producer for film and video at Rolling Stone
- Jessica Lussenhop becomes senior writer at BBC News Magazine
- Twenty former 'Survivor' contestants join the new season
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh