Time winding down for John Huey
November 15, 2012
After six years on the job, it’s apparently Time for John Huey to move on.
The editor in chief of Time Inc. will be gone by year’s end, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly, stepping aside of his own accord as his 65th birthday nears next spring.
It’s unclear if he has any future plans lined up.
Huey led the magazine publisher during a time of transition. Time Inc. cut hundreds of jobs during his tenure as magazine ad revenue fell sharply.
He’s also helped shepherd the company into the digital age despite deep uncertainty as to what that means for the print industry.
He stayed on through three different chief executive officers, including Laura Lang, the former Digitas chief who joined in January.
Huey took over the top editorial spot in 2006, succeeding Norm Pearlstine. Before that he served a five-year stint as editorial director, and he was editor of Fortune before that.
Martha Nelson, currently Huey’s No. 2, is expected to inherit his job. She has worked at People and InStyle.
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done.
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
Ben Bradlee, in other people’s words
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago