Time Person of the Year: Barack Obama
December 19, 2012
Time had dozens of contenders for Person of the Year, as it does every December.
Apple CEO Tim Cook, who succeeded the late Steve Jobs and kept the company on track following the late founder’s vision.
Malala Yousafzai, the schoolgirl shot in the head by the Taliban because she dared to want to learn.
The discoverers of the “God Particle,” a concept so complex that most of us don’t really understand it.
But in the end Time picked the most obvious choice: Barack Obama, who was elected to a second term as president despite the snail-like pace of the economic recovery.
Time editors announced the choice this morning on NBC’s “Today.”
In explaining the choice, Time wrote in its introduction: “There has been much talk of the coalition of the ascendant — young people, minorities, Hispanics, college-educated women — and in winning re-election, Obama showed that these fast-growing groups are not only the future but also the present.”
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ grows with plot twist
Why the Empire State Building is red
Comcast confirms: TWC deal is dead
Nielsen: Cord cutting’s no big deal
Washington, D.C.: TV remains strong
‘Happyish,’ happyish in spite of itself
Rachel, this rep’s driving me bonkers
So, what network will win May sweeps?
Weekend TV: Sweeps stunts & sports
Cable overnights: MTV’s ‘Catfish’ surges
Ovation upfront: Eying consistency
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on Wednesday
Scripps upfront: More familiar faces
- Patty Jones, Michelle Kitchen and Melanie Johnston rise at DDB Canada
- Jamie Horowitz becomes president at Fox Sports National Networks
- Three rise to SVPs of advertising at The New York Times
- Ariff Sidi becomes SVP of digital products at Fox
- Tuwisha Rogers becomes VP of brand leadership at One Solution
- Bill Siwicki becomes VP of mobile strategy at GPShopper
- Edward D. Ciofani becomes CEO at WhereverTV Broadcasting
- Franz Drameh joins the cast of CW's 'Arrow' and "Flash' spinoff
- Ray Romano hosting David Letterman primetime special
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle