Time Person of the Year: Barack Obama
December 19, 2012
Time had dozens of contenders for Person of the Year, as it does every December.
Apple CEO Tim Cook, who succeeded the late Steve Jobs and kept the company on track following the late founder’s vision.
Malala Yousafzai, the schoolgirl shot in the head by the Taliban because she dared to want to learn.
The discoverers of the “God Particle,” a concept so complex that most of us don’t really understand it.
But in the end Time picked the most obvious choice: Barack Obama, who was elected to a second term as president despite the snail-like pace of the economic recovery.
Time editors announced the choice this morning on NBC’s “Today.”
In explaining the choice, Time wrote in its introduction: “There has been much talk of the coalition of the ascendant — young people, minorities, Hispanics, college-educated women — and in winning re-election, Obama showed that these fast-growing groups are not only the future but also the present.”
Friday overnights: NBC’s ‘Constantine’ rebounds
Another syndicated talk show gets the axe
‘The Sisterhood: Becoming Nuns,’ yes
ABC wins fourth Thursday of sweeps
CBS remains on Dish Network, for now
Fox fills out its midseason schedule
A first look at the NewFronts schedule
Aereo is broke-o: Files for Chapter 11
And now, the new show scorecard
Hartford: TV is overrun with retail
‘Hello Ladies: The Movie,’ a bit better
Rachel, I’ve had enough of the bird
Best tube bets this weekend
- Sarah Barnett becomes president and GM at BBC America
- Sal Petruzzi rises to SVP of communications at Turner
- Arianne Nardo becomes executive editor at Robb Report Home & Style
- William Shatner joins Syfy's 'Haven'
- Michael Hyatt and Yara Martinez join HBO's 'True Detective'
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson hosting ABC's 'Backstage with Disney on Broadway'
- Scott Brown returning to Fox News Channel
- James Franco hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Merrin Dungey joins ABC’s ‘Once Upon a Time’
- Jennifer Hudson performing on CBS’s ‘A Home for the Holidays’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planning coordinator wanted in Miami
Digital media planner job in Salt Lake City
Media planner/buyer job in Madison, WI
Needed: Media buyer in Baton Rouge
Digital media planner jon in Norwalk, Connecticut