The word: Yahoo acquiring Tumblr
May 20, 2013
Nearly a year after her hiring, Yahoo chief executive officer Marissa Meyer is ready to make her first major acquisition, and it’s an interesting one.
Yahoo has put in a $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr, a blogging site, in a deal that’s expected to be announced today. It was first reported by AllThingsD.
Tumblr has 117 million users, and it would help give Yahoo the foot in social media that it craves to stay relevant long after portals became passé.
According to comScore, Tumblr had 37 million visitors in April, about the same as another social media site, LinkedIn. Its users skew young, something that Yahoo likes.
Tumblr only added advertising last year, yet another social media site that’s been slow to monetize its great user appeal. But certainly that’s an area where Yahoo’s established sales force could help.
Tumblr’s growing mobile user base (12 million so far) also fits in with Mayer’s big push into mobile media, which she has said will be Yahoo’s focus going forward.
‘Blindspot’ bumps up in week four
Whoa: No more naked ladies in Playboy
Magazines’ new play: Money-back guarantee
‘American Horror Story’ screams on Twitter
Fall TV’s winners and losers (so far)
L+7 surprises from premiere week
‘Casual,’ that about captures it
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
For ‘Best Time Ever,’ a tougher time
WashPost reporter convicted in Iran
OK return for NBC’s sitcom ‘Undateable’
Scripted shows fall vs. strong competition
‘NBC Nightly News’ bests ABC’s strong start
- Toygar Bazarkaya and Matt Howell join Havas Worldwide
- Kathryn McFarlane rises to creative director at Team One
- Steve Elliott becomes VP of branded entertainment at Comedy Central
- BBC director of television Danny Cohen exiting
- Preston Hillman becomes principal data scientist at PushSpring
- Matt Melnick becomes SVP of global sales at Tracx
- Ben Sprecher becomes chief product officer at Catalina
- Cole Wright becomes host of NFL Network's 'NFL HQ'
- Taye Diggs guesting on Fox's 'Rosewood'
- Rihanna performing on CBS's 'Victoria's Secret Fashion Show'
- Paul Reubens guesting on Fox's 'Gotham'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven