The word: Yahoo acquiring Tumblr
May 20, 2013
Nearly a year after her hiring, Yahoo chief executive officer Marissa Meyer is ready to make her first major acquisition, and it’s an interesting one.
Yahoo has put in a $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr, a blogging site, in a deal that’s expected to be announced today. It was first reported by AllThingsD.
Tumblr has 117 million users, and it would help give Yahoo the foot in social media that it craves to stay relevant long after portals became passé.
According to comScore, Tumblr had 37 million visitors in April, about the same as another social media site, LinkedIn. Its users skew young, something that Yahoo likes.
Tumblr only added advertising last year, yet another social media site that’s been slow to monetize its great user appeal. But certainly that’s an area where Yahoo’s established sales force could help.
Tumblr’s growing mobile user base (12 million so far) also fits in with Mayer’s big push into mobile media, which she has said will be Yahoo’s focus going forward.
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois