The word: Yahoo acquiring Tumblr
May 20, 2013
Nearly a year after her hiring, Yahoo chief executive officer Marissa Meyer is ready to make her first major acquisition, and it’s an interesting one.
Yahoo has put in a $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr, a blogging site, in a deal that’s expected to be announced today. It was first reported by AllThingsD.
Tumblr has 117 million users, and it would help give Yahoo the foot in social media that it craves to stay relevant long after portals became passé.
According to comScore, Tumblr had 37 million visitors in April, about the same as another social media site, LinkedIn. Its users skew young, something that Yahoo likes.
Tumblr only added advertising last year, yet another social media site that’s been slow to monetize its great user appeal. But certainly that’s an area where Yahoo’s established sales force could help.
Tumblr’s growing mobile user base (12 million so far) also fits in with Mayer’s big push into mobile media, which she has said will be Yahoo’s focus going forward.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit