The word: Yahoo acquiring Tumblr
May 20, 2013
Nearly a year after her hiring, Yahoo chief executive officer Marissa Meyer is ready to make her first major acquisition, and it’s an interesting one.
Yahoo has put in a $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr, a blogging site, in a deal that’s expected to be announced today. It was first reported by AllThingsD.
Tumblr has 117 million users, and it would help give Yahoo the foot in social media that it craves to stay relevant long after portals became passé.
According to comScore, Tumblr had 37 million visitors in April, about the same as another social media site, LinkedIn. Its users skew young, something that Yahoo likes.
Tumblr only added advertising last year, yet another social media site that’s been slow to monetize its great user appeal. But certainly that’s an area where Yahoo’s established sales force could help.
Tumblr’s growing mobile user base (12 million so far) also fits in with Mayer’s big push into mobile media, which she has said will be Yahoo’s focus going forward.
AFC Championship brings in Hispanic viewers
‘Quantico’ gets a lift in its new Monday slot
This year, a more diverse group of Oscar nominees
NFL playoff games dominate on social media
In age of cord cutting, these cable networks are growing
Voice-first devices: Not quite delivering on the hype
More layoffs at Bergen Record and other Jersey papers
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
Mixed results for the AFC and NFC title games
Coming at you: Media Life’s digital radio series
For PBS, a timely look at the environmental movement
CBS finds its Emmy host: Stephen Colbert
NBC’s ‘The Blacklist’ soars with DVR playback
- Haydn Townsend becomes group CEO at Wunderman
- Samantha DiPippo becomes VP of development at Crown Media
- Lindsay Nelson rises to CMO at Vox Media
- Lea Goldman and Tiffanie Darke become editors in chief at A+E Networks
- Nigel Farage becomes a contributor at Fox News Channel
- Alec Baldwin hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Ray Diaz joins the cast of TV Land's 'Lopez'
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner joins ABC's 'Ten Days in the Valley'
- 'Entertainment Tonight' producer Bonnie Tiegel dies
- Former Village Voice columnist Wayne Barrett dies at 71
- Former journalist William A. Hilliard dies at age 89
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York