The word: Yahoo acquiring Tumblr
May 20, 2013
Nearly a year after her hiring, Yahoo chief executive officer Marissa Meyer is ready to make her first major acquisition, and it’s an interesting one.
Yahoo has put in a $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr, a blogging site, in a deal that’s expected to be announced today. It was first reported by AllThingsD.
Tumblr has 117 million users, and it would help give Yahoo the foot in social media that it craves to stay relevant long after portals became passé.
According to comScore, Tumblr had 37 million visitors in April, about the same as another social media site, LinkedIn. Its users skew young, something that Yahoo likes.
Tumblr only added advertising last year, yet another social media site that’s been slow to monetize its great user appeal. But certainly that’s an area where Yahoo’s established sales force could help.
Tumblr’s growing mobile user base (12 million so far) also fits in with Mayer’s big push into mobile media, which she has said will be Yahoo’s focus going forward.
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
Won’t you help Jon Stewart buy CNN?
Huge management shakeup at Conde Nast
Lukewarm debut for NBC’s ‘Food Fighters’
This summer’s winners and losers
The future for Forbes and other business titles
Swing and a miss for the British Open
‘Manhattan,’ not a bomb but little spark
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
For Lifetime, heels kicking up high
Cable overnights: ‘Hip Hop’ jumps on VH1
How many subscribers did Aereo have, anyway?
Right now at Comic-Con: PETA’s latest work
- Shoshana Winter becomes executive planning director at mcgarrybowen
- Danna Castiglia rises to VP of business development at CBS News
- Tim Pastore becomes programming president at National Geographic Channel
- Bill Cox and Walter Naar join Grit and Escape
- Nick Catucci becomes features editor at Billboard
- Paul Cushman becomes chief revenue officer at Dstillery
- Michelle Fairley joins the cast of ABC's 'Resurrection'
- Shemar Moore returning to CBS's 'Young and the Restless'
- Lucy Lawless joins ABC's 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- Cast of 'Orange is the New Black' guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford