The election by the numbers on Facebook
November 9, 2012
Two days after the presidential election there were still three states buzzing more on Facebook about Republican nominee Mitt Romney than President Barack Obama.
As of early Thursday afternoon Romney was still getting more Facebook mentions than Obama in West Virginia, Wyoming and Utah, although nationwide the president was getting mentioned roughly four times more often than Romney, 1.01 million to Romney's 273,000.
That's according to the Facebook CNN-Election Insights page, which breaks down the social Facebook conversation by state, gender, age and day.
Not surprisingly, the overall conversation has slowed since Tuesday's election, with mentions of Obama down 73 percent Wednesday and those of Romney down 77 percent versus the previous day.
Facebook and social media as a whole played its largest role yet for a presidential election. A photo of the first couple embracing that was posted by the president's Twitter account minutes after he was reelected set a record for retweets, and it was also the most-liked photo in the history of Facebook.
Also, a thank you note posted on Facebook by Mitt Romney's team was shared nearly 27,000 times and liked by nearly 700,000 users.
Lester Holt starts strong as ‘Nightly News’ anchor
Sunday’s ‘BET Awards’ slips on Twitter
NBC’s ‘Ninja’ and ‘Island’ grow
Wack job: A Donald Trump rantalogue
Upfront update: CBS nears finish line
NBC to Donald Trump: You’re fired
Peek into Jerry Seinfield’s apartment
‘Zoo,’ best when the claws are out
So tell us, how are upfront negotiations going?
Soccer showdown: U.S. vs. Germany
Readers get it wrong on Trump and NBC
PETA boos use of animals on ‘Zoo’
CW’s ‘iZombie’ shows life with DVR viewing
- Karen Mahabir becomes managing editor for news at Huffington Post
- Rand Getlin and James Palmer join NFL Media
- Jim Hopson becomes interim publisher at The Columbus Dispatch
- Faith Stafford becomes senior associate art director at Entertainment Weekly
- Ahiza Garcia becomes breaking news reporter at CNNMoney
- Damian Ghigliotty rises to finance editor at Commercial Observer
- Adam Tuttle becomes managing director of media at SPYR
- Former 'Saved by the Bell' actor Dustin Diamond sentenced to prison
- Billy Magnussen joins FX drama pilot 'Snowfall'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta
Media planner position in Minneapolis
Media buyer position in Sacramento