Texans’ OT victory scores for CBS
November 26, 2012
The most exciting football game on turkey day was also the highest-rated.
The early Thanksgiving game between the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans on CBS posted a 15.2 household rating and 36 share, according to Nielsen overnights, the highest-rated game of the day and the network's second-highest-rated game since it re-acquired NFL rights in 1998.
It was a thriller, a 34-31 overtime win for the Texans in a game that both teams had chances to win.
The rest of the Thanksgiving action wasn’t nearly as thrilling, with Fox’s game a blowout until the fourth quarter and NBC’s contest a dominant victory by the New England Patriots.
Fox's contest between the Dallas Cowboys and winning Washington Redskins posted a 14.5 overnight rating, while NBC's night game between the Patriots and New York Jets posted an 11.5.
Elsewhere on Thanksgiving, NBC's coverage of the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" averaged a 6.6 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with Local People Meters, up 10 percent from last year and the highest in the six years the event has been tracked in LPM markets.
Also, the network's airing of the "The National Dog Show" from noon to 2 p.m. that day posted a 5.3 metered-market household rating, up 13 percent from last year and the best since 2005.
Tags: cbs, dallas cowboys, fourth quarter, household, Local People Meters, LPM, Macy, macy's parade, macy's parade ratings, nbc, New England Patriots, nfl, nfl ratings, sports tv, thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day Parade, thanksgiving nfl games, thanksgiving tv, turkey, tv ratings, Washington Redskins
CBS’s ACM Awards take a dive on Twitter
ABC tops NBC newscast for third week
CBS’s ‘Scorpion’ grows in season finale
Coming, a boom in smartwatch ads
‘Saving My Tomorrow,’ save a half hour
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Suddenly, TV spending looks stronger
The new normal: Multiscreen viewing
New York Times wins three Pulitzers
‘The Prancing Elites Project,’ lotsa heart
So, what network will win May sweeps?
The season’s biggest trend: Diversity
Behind ‘Sabado Gigante’s’ cancellation
- Kevin Foreman becomes digital creative director at Moroch Partners
- Joyce Jenereaux rises to publisher at The Detroit Free Press
- David Chivers becomes president and publisher at The Des Moines Register
- Matt Ericson rises to associate editor at The New York Times
- Scott Hopeck rises to New York market president at iHeartMedia
- Nada Stirratt becomes CEO at Verve Mobile
- ESPN EVP of sales and marketing Sean Bratches exiting
- Susan Kesser becomes VP of media relations at FX
- Pete Rose becomes a guest studio analyst at Fox Sports
- Dominic Cooper joins the cast of AMC's 'Preacher'
- Sterling K. Brown joins FX's 'American Crime Story'
- Longtime CBS Radio personality Scott Mason dies
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle