Texans’ OT victory scores for CBS
November 26, 2012
The most exciting football game on turkey day was also the highest-rated.
The early Thanksgiving game between the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans on CBS posted a 15.2 household rating and 36 share, according to Nielsen overnights, the highest-rated game of the day and the network's second-highest-rated game since it re-acquired NFL rights in 1998.
It was a thriller, a 34-31 overtime win for the Texans in a game that both teams had chances to win.
The rest of the Thanksgiving action wasn’t nearly as thrilling, with Fox’s game a blowout until the fourth quarter and NBC’s contest a dominant victory by the New England Patriots.
Fox's contest between the Dallas Cowboys and winning Washington Redskins posted a 14.5 overnight rating, while NBC's night game between the Patriots and New York Jets posted an 11.5.
Elsewhere on Thanksgiving, NBC's coverage of the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" averaged a 6.6 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with Local People Meters, up 10 percent from last year and the highest in the six years the event has been tracked in LPM markets.
Also, the network's airing of the "The National Dog Show" from noon to 2 p.m. that day posted a 5.3 metered-market household rating, up 13 percent from last year and the best since 2005.
Tags: cbs, dallas cowboys, fourth quarter, household, Local People Meters, LPM, Macy, macy's parade, macy's parade ratings, nbc, New England Patriots, nfl, nfl ratings, sports tv, thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day Parade, thanksgiving nfl games, thanksgiving tv, turkey, tv ratings, Washington Redskins
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
Weekend TV: The Super Bowl edition
Cable overnights: Another Warriors victory
So-so turnout for ‘Madoff’ miniseries
Sumner Redstone steps down at Viacom, too
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Denver: Bonkers for Broncs’ big game
What’s hot and not for Super Bowl ads
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- James Bennet becomes president at ASME
- Andrew Edwards becomes director of digital intelligence at Cardinal Path
- Marc Ferrentino becomes EVP of strategy at Yext
- Matt LeBlanc becomes co-host on BBC's 'Top Gear'
- Isabella Rossellini joins the cast of Hulu's 'Shut Eye'
- Seal joins the cast of Fox’s ‘The Passion’
- Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart join FX’s ‘Legion’
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager