Texans’ OT victory scores for CBS
November 26, 2012
The most exciting football game on turkey day was also the highest-rated.
The early Thanksgiving game between the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans on CBS posted a 15.2 household rating and 36 share, according to Nielsen overnights, the highest-rated game of the day and the network's second-highest-rated game since it re-acquired NFL rights in 1998.
It was a thriller, a 34-31 overtime win for the Texans in a game that both teams had chances to win.
The rest of the Thanksgiving action wasn’t nearly as thrilling, with Fox’s game a blowout until the fourth quarter and NBC’s contest a dominant victory by the New England Patriots.
Fox's contest between the Dallas Cowboys and winning Washington Redskins posted a 14.5 overnight rating, while NBC's night game between the Patriots and New York Jets posted an 11.5.
Elsewhere on Thanksgiving, NBC's coverage of the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" averaged a 6.6 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with Local People Meters, up 10 percent from last year and the highest in the six years the event has been tracked in LPM markets.
Also, the network's airing of the "The National Dog Show" from noon to 2 p.m. that day posted a 5.3 metered-market household rating, up 13 percent from last year and the best since 2005.
Tags: cbs, dallas cowboys, fourth quarter, household, Local People Meters, LPM, Macy, macy's parade, macy's parade ratings, nbc, New England Patriots, nfl, nfl ratings, sports tv, thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day Parade, thanksgiving nfl games, thanksgiving tv, turkey, tv ratings, Washington Redskins
A look at summer’s new hits and misses
Pandora: We’re going advertising-free
Big news: Amazon videos going offline
‘Ninja Warrior’ ties a three-year high
A shift for the ‘Video Music Awards’
Want to reach Hispanics? Try mobile ads.
MTV’s VMAs set a Twitter TV record
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Summer’s top shows among Millennials
The future of agencies: Mining for data
Denver: TV and radio spending are flat
‘Hand of God,’ off to parts unknown
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
- Dan Donovan becomes ECD at McCann New York
- Devin Reiter becomes Crispin Porter + Bogusky managing director in Boulder
- Alvaro Cabrera becomes chief strategy officer at DigitasLBi
- Roy Torres becomes creative director at 22squared
- Sarah McNaughton becomes site director at new Dr. Oz site
- David Woolfson and Michael Benowitz become SVPs at Screenvision
- Lindsay Sloane becomes EVP of production at MGM Television
- 'The View' executive producer Bill Wolff exiting
- Scott Van Pelt hosting midnight edition of 'SportsCenter'
- Alex Morgan and Chris Paul appearing on Disney XD's 'Becoming'
- Tom Selleck starring in new 'Jesse Stone' movie at Hallmark Channel
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois