Texans’ OT victory scores for CBS
November 26, 2012
The most exciting football game on turkey day was also the highest-rated.
The early Thanksgiving game between the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans on CBS posted a 15.2 household rating and 36 share, according to Nielsen overnights, the highest-rated game of the day and the network's second-highest-rated game since it re-acquired NFL rights in 1998.
It was a thriller, a 34-31 overtime win for the Texans in a game that both teams had chances to win.
The rest of the Thanksgiving action wasn’t nearly as thrilling, with Fox’s game a blowout until the fourth quarter and NBC’s contest a dominant victory by the New England Patriots.
Fox's contest between the Dallas Cowboys and winning Washington Redskins posted a 14.5 overnight rating, while NBC's night game between the Patriots and New York Jets posted an 11.5.
Elsewhere on Thanksgiving, NBC's coverage of the "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" averaged a 6.6 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with Local People Meters, up 10 percent from last year and the highest in the six years the event has been tracked in LPM markets.
Also, the network's airing of the "The National Dog Show" from noon to 2 p.m. that day posted a 5.3 metered-market household rating, up 13 percent from last year and the best since 2005.
Tags: cbs, dallas cowboys, fourth quarter, household, Local People Meters, LPM, Macy, macy's parade, macy's parade ratings, nbc, New England Patriots, nfl, nfl ratings, sports tv, thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day Parade, thanksgiving nfl games, thanksgiving tv, turkey, tv ratings, Washington Redskins
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.