Television’s most social show: ‘SpongeBob’
December 20, 2012
And the most social show on television is … “SpongeBob SquarePants?”
Yes, the little yellow sponge topped an impressive list of shows during 2012 to become the most-talked-about program on social media, which begs the question: Are 5-year-olds logging onto Twitter?
Nickelodeon’s cartoon received 21.77 million mentions, according to a year-end list released by Trendrr, which tracks social activity across Twitter, Facebook, GetGlue and Viggle.
That was significantly ahead of the No. 2 show, Fox’s “The X Factor,” which got 16.6 million mentions.
“SpongeBob” does have one advantage over broadcast shows, and that’s the frequency that it’s on the air. Nick plays at least four episodes of the program every day on its flagship channel, and it’s on many more across its other networks.
So at just about any time of day, a “SpongeBob” cartoon might catch a person’s attention, while “Factor” is limited to twice per week.
NBC’s “The Voice” (11.14 million), ABC Family’s “Pretty Little Liars” (10.38 million) and Oxygen’s “Bad Girls Club” (9.42 million) rounded out the top five.
Fox’s “American Idol,” “VH1’s “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta,” the syndicated “Ellen DeGeneres Show,” NBC’s “Today” and AMC’s “The Walking Dead” ranked sixth through 10th.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia