Surprise! Ambushers top Olympic sponsors.
July 19, 2012
Every two years the International Olympic Committee pledges to crack down on ambush marketers. And yet every two years it seems those ambushers still get the better of many official sponsors.
A new analysis from the Global Language Monitor, a web media trend tracking company, finds that of the top 50 brands affiliated with the upcoming London Games, only 17 of them are official sponsors.
GLM measured the strength of the brand affiliation for each official Olympic sponsor against those of their primary non-affiliated competitors.
The top 12 marketers are all non-affiliated, in that they have no official tie to the Olympics, much as they've tried to make it seem otherwise.
Royal Philips, CVC Capital and Exxon Mobil top the list. GLM notes that Royal Philips is besting official sponsor General Electric by a 20:1 margin.
"Ambushing by 'non-affiliated marketers' is more than Michael Phelps pitching sandwiches," says the GLM study, referring to Subway's long-running ads with the Olympic medalist. "It is a years-long effort to create a pseudo-sponsorship to leverage the good-well generated by having the Olympics with one's brand."
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
NBC locks up another summer victory
That final-season surge for ‘Sons’
‘Mysteries of Laura,’ the allure of Debra
For ‘Extant,’ the blastoff that didn’t
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner
Opening for a chief experiential officer