Study: A third of Millennials eschew broadcast
October 11, 2013
Study after study has shown that cord cutting is not yet a big issue for broadcast.
But a new study suggests it could become one in the coming years.
Thirty-four percent of Millennials, those ages 18-34, do not watch broadcast TV and favor online video, according to a new study by The New York Times to be presented at the INMA Audience Summit.
The study found that 20 percent of Generation X does the same, compared to only 10 percent of Baby Boomers.
As these generations age, undoubtedly future ones will be even more dependent on online video.
The study found that, overall, video hosting sites such as YouTube were the most popular providers of online video, with social media second, TV sites third and news sites fourth.
Of note to advertisers: Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they’re likely to watch a pre-roll ad if it includes a timer telling them the ad is relatively short.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit