Study: A third of Millennials eschew broadcast
October 11, 2013
Study after study has shown that cord cutting is not yet a big issue for broadcast.
But a new study suggests it could become one in the coming years.
Thirty-four percent of Millennials, those ages 18-34, do not watch broadcast TV and favor online video, according to a new study by The New York Times to be presented at the INMA Audience Summit.
The study found that 20 percent of Generation X does the same, compared to only 10 percent of Baby Boomers.
As these generations age, undoubtedly future ones will be even more dependent on online video.
The study found that, overall, video hosting sites such as YouTube were the most popular providers of online video, with social media second, TV sites third and news sites fourth.
Of note to advertisers: Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they’re likely to watch a pre-roll ad if it includes a timer telling them the ad is relatively short.
Coming soon: Nick without the cable bill
Readers: It will be a record Super Bowl
Disney Junior planning Latin-inspired princess
‘Empire’ holds steady in fourth week
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
This year’s big Super Bowl ad trends
Here they are: Buzziest Super Bowl ads
‘Duff Till Dawn,’ don’t bother to stay up
So tell us, who will win Sunday’s Super Bowl?
For ‘Parenthood,’ pulling at the heart
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
- Jeremy Gibney and Rob Esmudo join San Francisco agency Eleven
- Paul Pastor becomes EVP of network strategy at Discovery Channel
- Amy Hyland and Justin Nesci rise at Nickelodeon
- Pete Rumpel becomes chief sales officer at ABI Research
- Lincoln Lopez becomes VP and GM of social media at Univision
- Jim Lawson becomes regional manager at iHeartMedia
- John Reiss rises to executive producer at NBC's 'Meet the Press'
- Roberto Ruiz becomes news anchor at Azteca America
- Tyler James Williams joins CBS's 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Looking to fill a media planner job in Chicago
Senior media connections planner/buyer in Columbus
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York