Study: A third of Millennials eschew broadcast
October 11, 2013
Study after study has shown that cord cutting is not yet a big issue for broadcast.
But a new study suggests it could become one in the coming years.
Thirty-four percent of Millennials, those ages 18-34, do not watch broadcast TV and favor online video, according to a new study by The New York Times to be presented at the INMA Audience Summit.
The study found that 20 percent of Generation X does the same, compared to only 10 percent of Baby Boomers.
As these generations age, undoubtedly future ones will be even more dependent on online video.
The study found that, overall, video hosting sites such as YouTube were the most popular providers of online video, with social media second, TV sites third and news sites fourth.
Of note to advertisers: Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they’re likely to watch a pre-roll ad if it includes a timer telling them the ad is relatively short.
Measuring OOH: What buyers want to see
Another syndicated talk show is axed
‘The Sisterhood: Becoming Nuns,’ yes
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
For ‘Gotham,’ a bit of comic(s) relief
Friday overnights: ‘Constantine’ rebounds
ABC wins fourth Thursday of sweeps
CBS remains on Dish Network, for now
Fox fills out its midseason schedule
A first look at the NewFronts schedule
Aereo is broke-o: Files for Chapter 11
And now, the new show scorecard
Hartford: TV is overrun with retail
- Sarah Barnett becomes president and GM at BBC America
- Sal Petruzzi rises to SVP of communications at Turner
- Arianne Nardo becomes executive editor at Robb Report Home & Style
- William Shatner joins Syfy's 'Haven'
- Michael Hyatt and Yara Martinez join HBO's 'True Detective'
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson hosting ABC's 'Backstage with Disney on Broadway'
- Scott Brown returning to Fox News Channel
- James Franco hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Merrin Dungey joins ABC’s ‘Once Upon a Time’
- Jennifer Hudson performing on CBS’s ‘A Home for the Holidays’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planning coordinator wanted in Miami
Digital media planner job in Salt Lake City
Media planner/buyer job in Madison, WI
Needed: Media buyer in Baton Rouge
Digital media planner jon in Norwalk, Connecticut