Study: A third of Millennials eschew broadcast
October 11, 2013
Study after study has shown that cord cutting is not yet a big issue for broadcast.
But a new study suggests it could become one in the coming years.
Thirty-four percent of Millennials, those ages 18-34, do not watch broadcast TV and favor online video, according to a new study by The New York Times to be presented at the INMA Audience Summit.
The study found that 20 percent of Generation X does the same, compared to only 10 percent of Baby Boomers.
As these generations age, undoubtedly future ones will be even more dependent on online video.
The study found that, overall, video hosting sites such as YouTube were the most popular providers of online video, with social media second, TV sites third and news sites fourth.
Of note to advertisers: Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they’re likely to watch a pre-roll ad if it includes a timer telling them the ad is relatively short.
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois