Study: A third of Millennials eschew broadcast
October 11, 2013
Study after study has shown that cord cutting is not yet a big issue for broadcast.
But a new study suggests it could become one in the coming years.
Thirty-four percent of Millennials, those ages 18-34, do not watch broadcast TV and favor online video, according to a new study by The New York Times to be presented at the INMA Audience Summit.
The study found that 20 percent of Generation X does the same, compared to only 10 percent of Baby Boomers.
As these generations age, undoubtedly future ones will be even more dependent on online video.
The study found that, overall, video hosting sites such as YouTube were the most popular providers of online video, with social media second, TV sites third and news sites fourth.
Of note to advertisers: Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they’re likely to watch a pre-roll ad if it includes a timer telling them the ad is relatively short.
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
Study: Tube time really adds up over the years
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
- Andrea Gustafson becomes design director at Havas Worldwide
- Tim Dingersen and Morgan Leykam join Reason2Be
- Danielle Maged becomes EVP of partnerships at Fox Networks
- Margaret de Streel rises to international editor at Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Gregg Sulzberger rises to associate editor at The NY Times
- Alex Berkett becomes SVP of corporate development at Viacom
- David O’Connell rises to EVP of production management at NBCU
- John Cook becomes acting executive editor at Gawker
- Vicky Ward and David Bouley join Town & Country
- Scott Nelson becomes head of Viber North America
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta