Study: Teens still prefer communicating in person
June 27, 2012
Despite the fact that 90 percent of teens are now on social networks, their favorite form of communication remains talking in person.
That's according to a report from Common Sense Media’s Program for the Study of Children and Media, which found that 90 percent of teens have used some sort of social media and 75 percent have a profile on a social networking site.
Still, 49 percent of the teens surveyed said their favorite way to communicate with friends is by talking in person, well ahead of texting (33 percent) and social media (7 percent).
Among those who prefer to chat face-to-face rather than through a computer, 38 percent say it's because it's more fun and 29 percent say they can better understand what people mean.
That said, social media use among half of teens is a daily activity. Fifty-one percent of teens check their social networking site of choice at least once a day, according to the survey.
To download highlights of the study, click here.
Latest forecast for the upfront: Not good
Jon Swallen on the media economy
‘The Dovekeepers,’ a long four hours
Rachel, the interview did not go well
Tell us, what’s the state of late-night TV?
Best bets on TV this weekend 3.27.15
Cable overnights: ‘Catfish’ hooks a win
Social’s share of display ads is on the rise
Apple eyes a foray into streaming music
Alas, it’s farewell to ‘Downton Abbey’
A lackluster return for ‘American Idol’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Some key insights into global media
- Kristi DesJarlais becomes SVP and GM at Saxum
- Jason Wyrick rises to VP of digital platforms at Starz
- Brad Dunn becomes chief digital officer at Athlon Media Group/Parade
- Jazmine Hughes becomes associate digital editor at NY Times Magazine
- Steele Marcoux becomes editor at Coastal Living
- Erantzeri Corona becomes VP of marketing at MoviePass
- Zendaya hosting the Radio Disney Music Awards
- Rex Linn joins the cast of ABC's 'Nashville'
- Chris McDonald replaces James Caan in Fox's 'Fantasy Life'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ
Job opening: Next president of TAB
Digital media buyer job in Salt Lake City
TV media buyer wanted in New York