Study: Teens still prefer communicating in person
June 27, 2012
Despite the fact that 90 percent of teens are now on social networks, their favorite form of communication remains talking in person.
That's according to a report from Common Sense Media’s Program for the Study of Children and Media, which found that 90 percent of teens have used some sort of social media and 75 percent have a profile on a social networking site.
Still, 49 percent of the teens surveyed said their favorite way to communicate with friends is by talking in person, well ahead of texting (33 percent) and social media (7 percent).
Among those who prefer to chat face-to-face rather than through a computer, 38 percent say it's because it's more fun and 29 percent say they can better understand what people mean.
That said, social media use among half of teens is a daily activity. Fifty-one percent of teens check their social networking site of choice at least once a day, according to the survey.
To download highlights of the study, click here.
Super Bowl surprise: ‘Good Wife’ is ending
Tell us, which Super Bowl ads did you like?
The Super Bowl by the numbers
Republican debate draws good crowd
‘Shark Tank’ pushes ABC to another Friday win
‘CBS This Morning’ hits viewership milestone
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- Jason Patric joins the cast of Fox's 'Wayward Pines'
- Zelda Williams, Alberto Frezza and Eli Goree join Freeform's 'Dead of Summer'
- Catherine Hardwicke joins USA's upcoming 'Eyewitness'
- Ice-T and Coco hosting Oxygen Valentine's Day marathon
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager