Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
ABC wins fourth Thursday of sweeps
CBS remains on Dish Network, for now
Fox fills out its midseason schedule
A first look at the NewFronts schedule
Aereo is broke-o: Files for Chapter 11
And now, the new show scorecard
Hartford: TV is overrun with retail
‘Hello Ladies: The Movie,’ a bit better
Rachel, I’ve had enough of the bird
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: A win for the Spurs, and ESPN
‘Breaking Bad’ spinoff debuting in February
- Dan Connolly rises to CEO at LEVEL Studios
- Nick Neubeck becomes editorial creative director at Hearst Digital
- Anthony DeMaio rises to publisher at Slate
- Bill Duryea and Michael Kruse join Politico
- Jay Hultgren becomes senior director of sales at Tapad
- Brian Smith becomes COO at ThinkVine
- Merrin Dungey joins ABC's 'Once Upon a Time'
- Jennifer Hudson performing on CBS's 'A Home for the Holidays'
- Director Mike Nichols dies at age 83
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planning coordinator wanted in Miami
Digital media planner job in Salt Lake City
Media planner/buyer job in Madison, WI
Needed: Media buyer in Baton Rouge
Digital media planner jon in Norwalk, Connecticut