Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
‘Stars’ posts best finale in four seasons
Yet another sweeps victory for NBC
OOH measurement: Where it’s headed
On cable news, wall-to-wall Ferguson
‘Santa Hunters,’ hunt for something else
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this holiday weekend
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ takes a hit
Study: Hispanics ahead of the curve for digital
What are your predictions for 2015?
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ wows ‘em on Twitter
Part one of ‘Stars’ finale matches season high
Happy Thanksgiving: What readers are thankful for
- Timothy Mutrie becomes chief strategy officer at Jacob Tyler
- Mark Koelfgen rises to CCO at McGarryBowen
- Paul Shearer becomes Middle East CCO at Ogilvy & Mather
- Matthew Abate becomes ECD at Atmosphere Proximity
- Amy Goldberg and Dan Myers join Starz
- Patti Dennis rises to VP of talent development at Gannett
- Lori Loughlin and Bailee Madison join Hallmark's 'Northpole 2'
- Lenora Crichlow and Spencer Grammer join NBC's 'Mr. Robinson'
- Actor George Eads leaving CBS's 'CSI'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Savvy media buyer needed in Chattanooga
Media planning coordinator wanted in Miami
Digital media planner job in Salt Lake City
Media planner/buyer job in Madison, WI
Needed: Media buyer in Baton Rouge