Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
ABC and NBC reality shows match season highs
Just how old are NY Times readers, anyway?
Digital video advertising thrives on larger screens
MTV’s VMAs shine bright on social media
Imagining the television landscape of the future
Troubling truths about native advertising
ABC’s ‘Speechless’: Show with something to say
The next wave: America’s Hispanics and the New America
Tell us, how’s Donald Trump’s campaign going?
It’s Pablo Escobar, an odd pop culture phenom
The most controversial Instagram post from Rio
Nielsen shocker: U.S. TV households actually grew
Study: Perhaps parents shouldn’t trust TV ratings
- Pete Gosselin and Jay Hunt join Havas Worldwide
- Aaron Dus becomes VP of strategy at Engine West
- Steve Passwaiter rises to VP and GM at Kantar Media's CMAG
- Tina Shah rises to SVP of business affairs at Turner Sports
- Marc Peyser joins, Lauren Gelman and Lorraine Burton rise at Reader's Digest
- Gemma Garcia becomes executive producer of 'Noticiero Telemundo'
- David Boyd directing and producing Spike TV's 'The Mist'
- Kevin James hosting CBS's 'CBS Fall Preview'
- Laurie Hernandez and Ryan Lochte join 'Dancing with the Stars'
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: June 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
Media planner/strategist job in Dallas/Fort Worth
Media planner opening in Chicago
Associate media planner wanted in Brooklyn
Senior media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Needed: Print media buyer in Chicago