Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
The secrets to advertising on Snapchat
What’s next in the Bill Cosby criminal case
CBS makes a clean sweep of the season
Surprise: ABC surges past NBC on final Monday
Billboard Music Awards tumble on Twitter
Imagine, cable TV brought to you by Hulu
Big trends of the Spanish-language upfronts
Maybe 100 percent viewability isn’t the goal
Expect disruption with new overtime rules
So what’s your take on the fall schedules?
Cold comfort: Oh what an NHL playoffs
Coming, the boom in social media video advertising
JWT wants that infamous lawsuit dismissed
- Rachel Mercer becomes digital strategy director at Deutsch
- Becka Walter-Vigorito and Silmo Bonomi join VML
- Krysten de Quesada rises to account director at Pinta
- Kt Thayer becomes creative director at Crispin Porter + Bogusky
- María Martínez-Guzmán and Gabriela Tristán rise at Univision
- Keith Summa, George Lansbury and Alexis Madrigal rise at Fusion
- Dana Bowen becomes executive editor at Martha Stewart Living
- Dayne Damme becomes marketing director at Entercom
- Madelin Bosakewich becomes VP of sales at IBT Media
- George Grobar rises to COO at Penske Media Corp.
- Jim Shilale becomes global head of supply at Cuebiq
- Michael Azzolino becomes EVP of creative affairs at ITV Studios
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Freelance broadcast planner/buyer available
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer
Memphis agency seeks a media planner
Needed: Globally conscious sales/marketing rep