Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
CBS’s challenge: Life after football
With mobile devices, we’re all different
Las Vegas: Political pulls in TV dollars
The new frontier: Digital out of home
‘The McCarthys,’ honed to a dull edge
For ‘Mom,’ a chance for a new start
So, who will win the November sweeps?
Game 6 surges to best viewership of World Series
Cable overnights: Duggar wedding lifts ’19 Kids’
‘Women of the Bible’ coming to Lifetime
‘MNF’ hits a season high on ESPN Deportes
‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ up with help from ‘Avengers’
Cosmo uses shirtless men to get out the vote
- Kelly Smith-Dotson becomes CMO at Viad
- NY Times EVP of digital products Denise Warren exits
- Jessica Coen becomes contributing editor at Marie Claire
- Paul Smalera becomes ideas editor at Quartz
- Jeff Bercovici becomes San Francisco bureau chief at Inc.
- Katie Taplett becomes VP and GM at Defense News
- Writer Matt Taibbi exits First Look Media
- Jill Schwartz becomes head of development at High Noon Entertainment
- Hayley Kiyoko joins CBS's 'CSI: Cyber'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer wanted in Las Vegas
Junior media buyer opening in Venice, California
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin