Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
Cable overnights: Kentucky win lifts ESPN
The scoop on HBO’s over the top service
Instagram adds clickable links to ads
Fuse upfront: Moving beyond music
The hottest social network: Instagram
Study: Who got the most face time during Oscars
Big surge for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
A much better midseason for Fox
For Bill O’Reilly, steady through it all
Real identity of naked Buckingham guy
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
When is a spinoff one too many?
Media buyers to Nielsen: Changes, please
- Katherine Nelson becomes SVP of communications at Syfy
- Pam Thompson becomes executive account director at Food Network Magazine
- Charo Henriquez becomes executive editor at PeopleEnEspanol.com
- Michael D. Gottlieb joins National Journal's Policy Brands Roundtable
- Will Brantley becomes hunting editor at Field & Stream
- Liza Landsman becomes chief customer officer at Jet.com
- Seven rise at digital advertising company Sizmek
- Jason Baadsgaard becomes chief revenue officer at Eyeview
- Michael Hirst signs development deal at A+E Studios
- Four join CBS/TNT's NCAA Tournament coverage
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager