Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
‘The Goldbergs’ surges to a six-week high
Alas, New Day won’t see another one
The ever-elusive promise of podcasting
What to watch for at the Newfronts: Day four
Digital Content Newfronts blog: Day three update
Psst! The truth about Cinco de Mayo
Tell us, what’s the state of magazines right now?
Watching as the Millennials come of age
Cable overnights: Another slam dunk for basketball
Tribune to Gannett: No thanks, we’re good
Dish Network: Let us come fix your iPhone
Owners: We’re iffy on the Apple Watch
Just how many satellite radio subscribers are there?
- Four join the digital agency Digital Pulp
- Jennifer Bradley becomes media relations director at MassMedia
- Elizabeth Boykewich rises to SVP of casting at Freeform
- Calandria Meadows becomes VP of social media at Bounce TV
- Brian Madigan becomes director of video at Real Simple
- Adam Jenkins becomes executive producer at Labs
- Adam Bernstein directing Spike TV's 'The Mist'
- Ryan Murphy working on FX limited series 'Feud'
- Natalie Morales becomes co-host on 'Access Hollywood'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer
Memphis agency seeks a media planner
Needed: Globally conscious sales/marketing rep
San Diego opening for a digital marketing account manager