Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
ABC and NBC on top as summer sets
Wanna be in an ad? Quick, do a selfie!
ISIS claims to have killed another journalist
NBC’s ‘Ninja’ slithers to best rating in a month
Fred Ryan becomes publisher of Washington Post
Slow start for political spending in 2014
New Orleans: TV news is really hot
ABC’s ‘Forever:’ More like a few weeks
‘My Friends Call Me Johnny,’ old dude
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
And now, the news from David Muir
Apple: We’re investigating iCloud vulnerability
A&E cancels top scripted show ‘Longmire’
- Bert Hamaoui becomes group media director at MeringCarson in San Diego
- TNT and TBS programming chief Michael Wright leaving Turner
- Rona Fairhead becomes chairman of the BBC Trust
- Jim Louderback leaving Discovery Digital Networks
- Joan Rivers remains in serious condition
- Chelsea Clinton exits NBC News
- Enver Gjokaj and Chad Michael Murray join ABC’s ‘Agent Carter’
- Syfy cancels Wil Wheaton’s show
- ‘The Following’ showrunner Jennifer Johnson exits
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Junior media planner job in the Washington area
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC