Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
This year’s big Super Bowl ad trends
Here they are: Buzziest Super Bowl ads
‘Duff Till Dawn,’ don’t bother to stay up
So tell us, who will win Sunday’s Super Bowl?
For ‘Parenthood,’ pulling at the heart
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
Meredith buys more health titles
GoDaddy yanks controversial Super Bowl ad
CBS’s ‘CSI’ surges to season high Tuesday
State of the Union soars on Twitter
- Bryce McTavish becomes SVP at The Integer Group
- Betsy Fischer Martin becomes contributing editor at More
- Brent Cunningham joins Food & Environment Reporting Network
- Rehan Iqbal and Garen Karnikian rise at True North
- Ari Buchalter and Michael Lamb become co-presidents at MediaMath
- Jacob Chappell becomes VP of sales at SOCi
- Shania Twain starring in ABC concert special
- Jerry Ferrara joins Starz's drama 'Power'
- Nick Jonas joins the cast of Fox's 'Scream Queens'
- Rita Ora performing on ABC's Academy Awards telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York
Assistant digital media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Media planner/buyer position in Baltimore