Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
Another Thursday night of football preemptions
The new king of late night indeed
Sports’ sudden superstar: Mo’ne Davis
Dallas: Cowboys kick up TV spending
‘Intruders,’ eerie at a measured pace
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
TNT nabs rights to ‘Hunger Games’ and ‘Divergent’
Cable overnights: FNC snaps CNN win streak
Amazon’s drones are coming! (In India, not U.S.)
Now on music sharing site SoundCloud, advertising
Lawsuit claims People is biased against blacks
‘Big Brother’ lifts CBS to Wednesday win
- Neil Munn rises to global CEO at BBH
- Kim Heneghan joins and Kim Castro rises at U.S. News & World Report
- Patty Adams Martinez, Busra Erkara and Mickey Stanley join Nylon
- Kevin Frazier becomes co-host at 'Entertainment Tonight'
- Rachel Brosnahan joins CBS's 'The Dovekeepers'
- Eva Longoria guesting on Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Megan Mullally and Natalie Morales guesting on 'Parks and Recreation'
- Tony Shalhoub joins the cast of Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Emmy-winning animator Liz Holzman dies at age 61
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas