Study: Phablets will grow sixfold by 2018
January 24, 2014
By 2018, the number of phablets in circulation will have increased by sixfold.
What’s a phablet, you ask? It’s a combination of a smartphone and a tablet, essentially a phone with a display of 5.6 inches or bigger.
Juniper Research, a market research company, predicts that the number of phablets will go from 20 million last year to 120 million four years from now.
South Korea and China are especially enthusiastic adopters of the devices, with South Koreans preferring the format for gaming and China enjoying the content streaming benefits.
Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows systems will power most of these devices, though they will be challenged if Apple decides to get into the bigger-screen business. The iPhone’s screen is still much smaller.
TLC yanks ’19 Kids and Counting’
‘Late Show’ finale hits 21-year high
‘Modern Family’ falls to low in finale
Once again, ABC wins May sweep
This fall’s five big timeslot battles
Oh my! There goes Marilyn’s skirt.
‘Late Show With David Letterman,’ bravo
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Weekend TV: Indy 500 revs up
Cable overnights: NBA stays hot
Fun facts about the Indy 500
Buyouts coming at Wall Street Journal
A record season for Telemundo
- Twelve join California agency David&Goliath
- Ellie Duque becomes publisher at Entertainment Weekly
- CBS Entertainment EVP of comedy Wendi Trilling exiting
- New York Times chief information officer Marc Frons exiting
- Marjorie Miller rises to director of global news at the Associated Press
- Melissa Bell rises to VP of growth and analytics at Vox Media
- Josh Swade becomes executive producer for film and video at Rolling Stone
- Jessica Lussenhop becomes senior writer at BBC News Magazine
- Emily Banks becomes deputy mobile editor at Bloomberg Digital
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh