Study: Most online time spent on Facebook
March 12, 2013
It’s not just your imagination – you are spending more time on Facebook than anywhere else on the web, or at least the collective “you” is.
A new report from comScore networks, analyzing Americans’ surfing patterns, found that 10.8 percent of all online time in December was spent on the social networking site, surpassing No. 2 Google at 10 percent.
Facebook had 150.3 million desktop visitors and 97.7 million mobile visitors. Eighty-three percent of all social networking time is spent on Facebook.
Much of the time spent on Google is devoted to its online video subsidiary, YouTube, which continues to dominate with 188 billion videos streamed last year. By comparison, No. 2 Hulu streamed 8.9 billion.
The No. 3 web property, for all its many troubles, remains Yahoo, which accounted for 7 percent of online time. Microsoft (4.9 percent) and AOL (2.5 percent) also made the top five.
ESPN was the only specialty site to finish in the top 10, ranking 10th at 0.6 percent of time spent online.
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
Second-best Emmys in eight years
Sans controversy, VMAs take a slide
‘Girlfriend Intervention,’ black on white
A consolation trophy for Minnie Driver
A bigger iPad may be on the way
Cable overnights: ‘Love & Hip Hop’ stays strong
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit