Study: Most online time spent on Facebook
March 12, 2013
It’s not just your imagination – you are spending more time on Facebook than anywhere else on the web, or at least the collective “you” is.
A new report from comScore networks, analyzing Americans’ surfing patterns, found that 10.8 percent of all online time in December was spent on the social networking site, surpassing No. 2 Google at 10 percent.
Facebook had 150.3 million desktop visitors and 97.7 million mobile visitors. Eighty-three percent of all social networking time is spent on Facebook.
Much of the time spent on Google is devoted to its online video subsidiary, YouTube, which continues to dominate with 188 billion videos streamed last year. By comparison, No. 2 Hulu streamed 8.9 billion.
The No. 3 web property, for all its many troubles, remains Yahoo, which accounted for 7 percent of online time. Microsoft (4.9 percent) and AOL (2.5 percent) also made the top five.
ESPN was the only specialty site to finish in the top 10, ranking 10th at 0.6 percent of time spent online.
Cable’s winners and losers in July
Great art everywhere you look around
‘The Quest,’ off to the dungeon, knave
So, what’s the future for print magazines?
Yay! Boo! It’s the CrossFit Games.
Katie Couric signs off from syndication
IAB: Programmatic growing slower abroad
Lawsuit: Facebook responsible for ruined reps
Netflix reaches streaming deal with AT&T
The big problem at ‘Big Bang:’ Salaries
A healthy surge for new ‘Food Fighters’
Summer’s top programming moves
Big shakeup in cable news rankings
- Harvey Goldhersz and Phil Cowdell rise at GroupM
- José Miranda becomes regional director for analytics at MEC
- Rafi Kugler becomes director of recruiting at barrettSF
- Two join and one rises at WorkPlace Media
- Cheri Ehrlich Eisen becomes senior HR director at Fusion
- Lindsay Zoladz becomes pop music critic at New York magazine
- Four join the staff at Good Housekeeping magazine
- Sam Sifton rises to food editor at The New York Times
- Margery Eagan becomes spirituality columnist at Crux
- Five become general managers at Learfield Sports
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco