Study: Most online time spent on Facebook
March 12, 2013
It’s not just your imagination – you are spending more time on Facebook than anywhere else on the web, or at least the collective “you” is.
A new report from comScore networks, analyzing Americans’ surfing patterns, found that 10.8 percent of all online time in December was spent on the social networking site, surpassing No. 2 Google at 10 percent.
Facebook had 150.3 million desktop visitors and 97.7 million mobile visitors. Eighty-three percent of all social networking time is spent on Facebook.
Much of the time spent on Google is devoted to its online video subsidiary, YouTube, which continues to dominate with 188 billion videos streamed last year. By comparison, No. 2 Hulu streamed 8.9 billion.
The No. 3 web property, for all its many troubles, remains Yahoo, which accounted for 7 percent of online time. Microsoft (4.9 percent) and AOL (2.5 percent) also made the top five.
ESPN was the only specialty site to finish in the top 10, ranking 10th at 0.6 percent of time spent online.
Cable overnights: New high for ‘Chrisley’
The word: FCC guts net neutrality rules
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia