Study: Most online time spent on Facebook
March 12, 2013
It’s not just your imagination – you are spending more time on Facebook than anywhere else on the web, or at least the collective “you” is.
A new report from comScore networks, analyzing Americans’ surfing patterns, found that 10.8 percent of all online time in December was spent on the social networking site, surpassing No. 2 Google at 10 percent.
Facebook had 150.3 million desktop visitors and 97.7 million mobile visitors. Eighty-three percent of all social networking time is spent on Facebook.
Much of the time spent on Google is devoted to its online video subsidiary, YouTube, which continues to dominate with 188 billion videos streamed last year. By comparison, No. 2 Hulu streamed 8.9 billion.
The No. 3 web property, for all its many troubles, remains Yahoo, which accounted for 7 percent of online time. Microsoft (4.9 percent) and AOL (2.5 percent) also made the top five.
ESPN was the only specialty site to finish in the top 10, ranking 10th at 0.6 percent of time spent online.
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ grows with plot twist
Why the Empire State Building is red
Comcast confirms: TWC deal is dead
Nielsen: Cord cutting’s no big deal
Washington, D.C.: TV remains strong
‘Happyish,’ happyish in spite of itself
Rachel, this rep’s driving me bonkers
So, what network will win May sweeps?
Weekend TV: Sweeps stunts & sports
Cable overnights: MTV’s ‘Catfish’ surges
Ovation upfront: Eying consistency
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on Wednesday
Scripps upfront: More familiar faces
- Patty Jones, Michelle Kitchen and Melanie Johnston rise at DDB Canada
- Jamie Horowitz becomes president at Fox Sports National Networks
- Three rise to SVPs of advertising at The New York Times
- Ariff Sidi becomes SVP of digital products at Fox
- Tuwisha Rogers becomes VP of brand leadership at One Solution
- Bill Siwicki becomes VP of mobile strategy at GPShopper
- Edward D. Ciofani becomes CEO at WhereverTV Broadcasting
- Franz Drameh joins the cast of CW's 'Arrow' and "Flash' spinoff
- Ray Romano hosting David Letterman primetime special
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle