Study finds yet more evidence of cord cutting
June 25, 2013
The number of cord cutters continues to grow.
A new study finds that 19.3 percent of all households get their over-the-air broadcast TV signals via digital services, up from 17.8 percent the previous year.
That’s according to GfK Media & Entertainment, which estimates the number of U.S. TV homes without pay television at 22.4 million.
The number skews a bit higher than previous studies, which estimated the percentage of non-pay-TV households at around 10 percent.
Broadcast-only TV households, which total roughly 59.7 million, are up 40 percent over the past four years.
The study notes that most cord cutters use a digital on-demand service, like Netflix or Hulu, to get their TV shows.
These homes skew younger, with 28 percent boasting a head of household between ages 18-34, and they’re more likely to be minorities, accounting for 41 percent of all broadcast-only homes.
A night of declines for broadcast
Early takeaways from the TV season
Fact, is, people still trust advertising
‘Dr. Ken,’ a malady with no known cure
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Rachel, I said awful things to a client
Weekend TV: A slew of premieres
Josh Tyrangiel exiting Businessweek
TiVo’s new DVR skips whole ad breaks
Google: We’re guaranteeing viewability
‘Empire’ week two: Down but still strong
Nielsen: Total audience ratings by year’s end
New from YouTube, shop from ads
- Brad Dancer rises to EVP of programming at National Geographic Channels
- Susie Fitzgerald rises to scripted EVP at AMC/SundanceTV
- Jon Slusser rises to SVP of sports and specials at Spike TV
- Stephen Pope rises to editor in chief at Flying magazine
- David Chavern becomes president and CEO at the NAA
- Jason Shugars becomes SVP of partnerships at ROKT
- CNBC names six moderators for Oct. 28 GOP debate
- Peter Gadiot joins USA's 'Queen of the South'
- David Schwimmer joins UK comedy 'Morning Has Broken'
- Kelli Williams and Rob Morrow join ABC Family's 'The Fosters'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven