Study finds yet more evidence of cord cutting
June 25, 2013
The number of cord cutters continues to grow.
A new study finds that 19.3 percent of all households get their over-the-air broadcast TV signals via digital services, up from 17.8 percent the previous year.
That’s according to GfK Media & Entertainment, which estimates the number of U.S. TV homes without pay television at 22.4 million.
The number skews a bit higher than previous studies, which estimated the percentage of non-pay-TV households at around 10 percent.
Broadcast-only TV households, which total roughly 59.7 million, are up 40 percent over the past four years.
The study notes that most cord cutters use a digital on-demand service, like Netflix or Hulu, to get their TV shows.
These homes skew younger, with 28 percent boasting a head of household between ages 18-34, and they’re more likely to be minorities, accounting for 41 percent of all broadcast-only homes.
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
This year’s big Super Bowl ad trends
Here they are: Buzziest Super Bowl ads
‘Duff Till Dawn,’ don’t bother to stay up
So tell us, who will win Sunday’s Super Bowl?
For ‘Parenthood,’ pulling at the heart
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
Meredith buys more health titles
GoDaddy yanks controversial Super Bowl ad
CBS’s ‘CSI’ surges to season high Tuesday
State of the Union soars on Twitter
- Bryce McTavish becomes SVP at The Integer Group
- Betsy Fischer Martin becomes contributing editor at More
- Brent Cunningham joins Food & Environment Reporting Network
- Rehan Iqbal and Garen Karnikian rise at True North
- Ari Buchalter and Michael Lamb become co-presidents at MediaMath
- Jacob Chappell becomes VP of sales at SOCi
- Shania Twain starring in ABC concert special
- Jerry Ferrara joins Starz's drama 'Power'
- Nick Jonas joins the cast of Fox's 'Scream Queens'
- Rita Ora performing on ABC's Academy Awards telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York
Assistant digital media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Media planner/buyer position in Baltimore