Study finds yet more evidence of cord cutting
June 25, 2013
The number of cord cutters continues to grow.
A new study finds that 19.3 percent of all households get their over-the-air broadcast TV signals via digital services, up from 17.8 percent the previous year.
That’s according to GfK Media & Entertainment, which estimates the number of U.S. TV homes without pay television at 22.4 million.
The number skews a bit higher than previous studies, which estimated the percentage of non-pay-TV households at around 10 percent.
Broadcast-only TV households, which total roughly 59.7 million, are up 40 percent over the past four years.
The study notes that most cord cutters use a digital on-demand service, like Netflix or Hulu, to get their TV shows.
These homes skew younger, with 28 percent boasting a head of household between ages 18-34, and they’re more likely to be minorities, accounting for 41 percent of all broadcast-only homes.
Cable overnights: Kentucky win lifts ESPN
The scoop on HBO’s over the top service
Instagram adds clickable links to ads
Fuse upfront: Moving beyond music
The hottest social network: Instagram
Study: Who got the most face time during Oscars
Big surge for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
A much better midseason for Fox
For Bill O’Reilly, steady through it all
Real identity of naked Buckingham guy
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
When is a spinoff one too many?
Media buyers to Nielsen: Changes, please
- Katherine Nelson becomes SVP of communications at Syfy
- Pam Thompson becomes executive account director at Food Network Magazine
- Charo Henriquez becomes executive editor at PeopleEnEspanol.com
- Michael D. Gottlieb joins National Journal's Policy Brands Roundtable
- Will Brantley becomes hunting editor at Field & Stream
- Liza Landsman becomes chief customer officer at Jet.com
- Seven rise at digital advertising company Sizmek
- Jason Baadsgaard becomes chief revenue officer at Eyeview
- Michael Hirst signs development deal at A+E Studios
- Four join CBS/TNT's NCAA Tournament coverage
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager