Study finds yet more evidence of cord cutting
June 25, 2013
The number of cord cutters continues to grow.
A new study finds that 19.3 percent of all households get their over-the-air broadcast TV signals via digital services, up from 17.8 percent the previous year.
That’s according to GfK Media & Entertainment, which estimates the number of U.S. TV homes without pay television at 22.4 million.
The number skews a bit higher than previous studies, which estimated the percentage of non-pay-TV households at around 10 percent.
Broadcast-only TV households, which total roughly 59.7 million, are up 40 percent over the past four years.
The study notes that most cord cutters use a digital on-demand service, like Netflix or Hulu, to get their TV shows.
These homes skew younger, with 28 percent boasting a head of household between ages 18-34, and they’re more likely to be minorities, accounting for 41 percent of all broadcast-only homes.
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
Study: Tube time really adds up over the years
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
- Andrea Gustafson becomes design director at Havas Worldwide
- Tim Dingersen and Morgan Leykam join Reason2Be
- Danielle Maged becomes EVP of partnerships at Fox Networks
- Margaret de Streel rises to international editor at Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Gregg Sulzberger rises to associate editor at The NY Times
- Alex Berkett becomes SVP of corporate development at Viacom
- David O’Connell rises to EVP of production management at NBCU
- John Cook becomes acting executive editor at Gawker
- Vicky Ward and David Bouley join Town & Country
- Scott Nelson becomes head of Viber North America
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta