Study finds yet more evidence of cord cutting
June 25, 2013
The number of cord cutters continues to grow.
A new study finds that 19.3 percent of all households get their over-the-air broadcast TV signals via digital services, up from 17.8 percent the previous year.
That’s according to GfK Media & Entertainment, which estimates the number of U.S. TV homes without pay television at 22.4 million.
The number skews a bit higher than previous studies, which estimated the percentage of non-pay-TV households at around 10 percent.
Broadcast-only TV households, which total roughly 59.7 million, are up 40 percent over the past four years.
The study notes that most cord cutters use a digital on-demand service, like Netflix or Hulu, to get their TV shows.
These homes skew younger, with 28 percent boasting a head of household between ages 18-34, and they’re more likely to be minorities, accounting for 41 percent of all broadcast-only homes.
Few accompany ABC on its ‘Quest’
‘Sharknado 2′ becomes a monster hit
Phoenix: TV is hot and getting hotter
‘Partners,’ tired joke after tired joke
Rachel, my good friend is such a liar
So, what’s the future for print magazines?
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC renews new comedy ‘Undateable’
Big changes at Fox Business Network
Authorities: Woman pulls gun on Comcast worker
Love Snapchat? How Northeastern of you.
Yet another spinoff for newspaper industry
‘Extant’ holds steady in new later timeslot
- Carol Lombard becomes VP of integrated production at INNOCEAN USA
- Renee Peterson becomes VP of HR at Hearst Newspapers
- Melissa Drucker rises to SVP of TV sales at BBC America
- Rob Glaser rises to CEO at RealNetworks
- Tim Boell becomes VP of distribution at Outdoor Channel
- Julie Meisner Eagle becomes VP of production at Discovery Life Channel
- Josh Rubin and Allen Weiner join The Daily Dot
- Ilja Goossens becomes VP of business development at LoopMe
- Former football player Brady Quinn joins Fox Sports
- Actress Krysten Ritter guesting NBC's 'The Blacklist'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco