Strong first weekend of sales for new iPads
November 6, 2012
The mini iPad spurred some extra-large sales over the weekend.
Apple’s new device, which is a third smaller and sells for a third less than its original tablet, and its latest edition of the full-sized iPad combined to sell 3 million units in the three days since the Mini’s Friday release.
That’s double the number of iPad 3s that sold during their first day of availability this past March, though Apple declined to say how many of the sales were Minis and how many were iPad 4s.
The release of the fourth-generation iPad prompted some protests from Apple loyalists, who complained that it had come too soon after the third gen iPad. Usually Apple waits a year or more between upgrades.
But this newer edition has a faster processer and a better camera, two selling points that Apple will push hard during the holiday season.
The strong weekend of iPad sales comes as Apple’s dominance in the tablet market continues to wane, with other companies introducing less expensive and equally capable devices.
According to IDC, Apple’s market share of tablets was 50.4 percent in third quarter, down from 59.7 percent at the same time last year.
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
‘America’s Got Talent’ boosts NBC to No. 1
Readers: New faces will win Emmys
Cable remembers Robin Williams
Summer’s least appreciated shows
‘Epic Ink,’ yes, it’s really about tattoos
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
For ‘Suits,’ finding its quirky voice
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ returns strong
A new owner for Fairchild Fashion Media
Islamic State: We’ve beheaded kidnapped journalist
Remembering Don Pardo, the voice of ‘SNL’
- Julie Levin becomes CMO at Publicis Worldwide North America
- Nora Zimmett becomes SVP of live programming at Weather Channel
- Ken Reiner rises to VP of programming at Raycom Media
- Carlos Bardasano and Andrés Mendoza rise at Univision
- Mike Corry rises to senior director of ad sales at Music Choice
- Jayme Beth Frieder becomes senior director of sales at Simulmedia
- Alan Ives becomes VP of North America sales at wywy
- Scott Portugal becomes publisher platform GM at Yieldbot
- Stephanie Himonidis joins Telemundo's 'Yo Soy el Artista'
- Adrianne Palicki guesting on ABC's 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- ABC News anchor Elizabeth Vargas returns to rehab
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas