Starz impeaches Grammer’s ‘Boss’
November 21, 2012
“Boss” lost its reelection campaign.
Starz has canceled the critically acclaimed drama after two very low-rated seasons, though there’s a small chance the series will wrap up with a two-hour movie.
Starz had such high hopes for “Boss” that it awarded the show a second-season order before it had even debuted its first season in fall of 2011.
But viewership never lived up to the show’s creative promise. Season two bowed to only 317,000 viewers, according to Nielsen, down from 659,000 for its premiere.
Though the show added more viewers through repeat airings and on-demand viewing, that still wasn’t enough to convince Starz of its long-term potential.
But the show did bring some critical cachet to Starz, with star Kelsey Grammer earning a Golden Globe nomination for his starring role as the mayor of Chicago who is dealing with a debilitating disease.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit