Starz impeaches Grammer’s ‘Boss’
November 21, 2012
“Boss” lost its reelection campaign.
Starz has canceled the critically acclaimed drama after two very low-rated seasons, though there’s a small chance the series will wrap up with a two-hour movie.
Starz had such high hopes for “Boss” that it awarded the show a second-season order before it had even debuted its first season in fall of 2011.
But viewership never lived up to the show’s creative promise. Season two bowed to only 317,000 viewers, according to Nielsen, down from 659,000 for its premiere.
Though the show added more viewers through repeat airings and on-demand viewing, that still wasn’t enough to convince Starz of its long-term potential.
But the show did bring some critical cachet to Starz, with star Kelsey Grammer earning a Golden Globe nomination for his starring role as the mayor of Chicago who is dealing with a debilitating disease.
Watch out, CBS cuts gap with NBC
ACM Awards take a dive on Twitter
ABC tops NBC newscast for third week
CBS’s ‘Scorpion’ grows in season finale
Coming, a boom in smartwatch ads
‘Saving My Tomorrow,’ save a half hour
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Suddenly, TV spending looks stronger
The new normal: Multiscreen viewing
New York Times wins three Pulitzers
‘The Prancing Elites Project,’ lotsa heart
So, what network will win May sweeps?
The season’s biggest trend: Diversity
- Luis Martinez becomes design director at 2C Creative
- Matt Gamewell rises to VP of national sales at Learfield Sports
- Charlotte Greensit becomes managing editor at The Intercept
- Christine Buhagiar rises to European region director at Agence France-Presse
- Linda Little rises to market president at iHeartMedia
- Axie Navas rises to senior gear editor at Outside magazine
- Amer Yaqub and Rebecca Frankel rise at Foreign Policy
- Christine Cattano rises to executive producer at Framestore
- Craig T. Nelson joins Netflix's 'Grace and Frankie'
- Mitch Pileggi returning for Fox's 'X-Files' reboot
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle