Starz impeaches Grammer’s ‘Boss’
November 21, 2012
“Boss” lost its reelection campaign.
Starz has canceled the critically acclaimed drama after two very low-rated seasons, though there’s a small chance the series will wrap up with a two-hour movie.
Starz had such high hopes for “Boss” that it awarded the show a second-season order before it had even debuted its first season in fall of 2011.
But viewership never lived up to the show’s creative promise. Season two bowed to only 317,000 viewers, according to Nielsen, down from 659,000 for its premiere.
Though the show added more viewers through repeat airings and on-demand viewing, that still wasn’t enough to convince Starz of its long-term potential.
But the show did bring some critical cachet to Starz, with star Kelsey Grammer earning a Golden Globe nomination for his starring role as the mayor of Chicago who is dealing with a debilitating disease.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
NBC wins penultimate night of sweeps
Final tally: 43 shows get the axe
NBC gallops to Preakness ratings gains
Obie Awards: 42 winners, including 11 golds
ESPN laying off 6 percent of workforce
Bounce upfront: Five new series
Top comedies lead in DVR growth
For ABC, a season-ending surge
Cable’s 10 must-see summer shows
‘Family S.O.S.,’ largely ‘asseptable’
‘Modern Family,’ going out on top
So, how will the upfront shake out?
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI
Associate media director in New York
Digital media planner opening in Boston