Starz impeaches Grammer’s ‘Boss’
November 21, 2012
“Boss” lost its reelection campaign.
Starz has canceled the critically acclaimed drama after two very low-rated seasons, though there’s a small chance the series will wrap up with a two-hour movie.
Starz had such high hopes for “Boss” that it awarded the show a second-season order before it had even debuted its first season in fall of 2011.
But viewership never lived up to the show’s creative promise. Season two bowed to only 317,000 viewers, according to Nielsen, down from 659,000 for its premiere.
Though the show added more viewers through repeat airings and on-demand viewing, that still wasn’t enough to convince Starz of its long-term potential.
But the show did bring some critical cachet to Starz, with star Kelsey Grammer earning a Golden Globe nomination for his starring role as the mayor of Chicago who is dealing with a debilitating disease.
Cable overnights: ‘Catfish’ hooks a win
Latest forecast for the upfront: Not good
Jon Swallen on the media economy
Social’s share of display ads is on the rise
Apple eyes a foray into streaming music
Alas, it’s farewell to ‘Downton Abbey’
A lackluster return for ‘American Idol’
‘The Dovekeepers,’ a long four hours
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Some key insights into global media
Detroit: TV and radio are cruising
March Madness for digital billboards
‘Weird Loners,’ actually, just TV weird
- Kristi DesJarlais becomes SVP and GM at Saxum
- Jason Wyrick rises to VP of digital platforms at Starz
- Brad Dunn becomes chief digital officer at Athlon Media Group/Parade
- Jazmine Hughes becomes associate digital editor at NY Times Magazine
- Steele Marcoux becomes editor at Coastal Living
- Erantzeri Corona becomes VP of marketing at MoviePass
- Zendaya hosting the Radio Disney Music Awards
- Rex Linn joins the cast of ABC's 'Nashville'
- Chris McDonald replaces James Caan in Fox's 'Fantasy Life'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ
Job opening: Next president of TAB
Digital media buyer job in Salt Lake City
TV media buyer wanted in New York