Starz impeaches Grammer’s ‘Boss’
November 21, 2012
“Boss” lost its reelection campaign.
Starz has canceled the critically acclaimed drama after two very low-rated seasons, though there’s a small chance the series will wrap up with a two-hour movie.
Starz had such high hopes for “Boss” that it awarded the show a second-season order before it had even debuted its first season in fall of 2011.
But viewership never lived up to the show’s creative promise. Season two bowed to only 317,000 viewers, according to Nielsen, down from 659,000 for its premiere.
Though the show added more viewers through repeat airings and on-demand viewing, that still wasn’t enough to convince Starz of its long-term potential.
But the show did bring some critical cachet to Starz, with star Kelsey Grammer earning a Golden Globe nomination for his starring role as the mayor of Chicago who is dealing with a debilitating disease.
Why the bright outlook for local advertising
For magazines, moving beyond print and digital
‘Victoria’s Secret’ struts to third-biggest crowd
Time’s person of the year: Pope Francis
CBS: Our streaming audience has soared
Hot on cable: Shows about shows
Five lessons from ‘The Sound of Music’
Audience shrinks for part two of ‘Bonnie’
The word: Discovery eyeing Scripps
San Francisco: Sports is super hot
‘Rodeo Girls,’ way low in the saddle
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
For ‘Duck Dynasty,’ a real holiday tweet
- Myles Kellam becomes director of client development at LevLane
- Elizabeth Tumulty rises to president of affiliate relations at CBS
- Bear Fisher becomes SVP of marketing at NBCUniversal
- Vernon Loeb becomes managing editor at The Houston Chronicle
- Jennie Morris and Jerry Blake join cable network Pivot
- Jeff Sottolano becomes director of programming at CBS Radio
- Four join online ad technology company Rubicon Project
- Bette Midler producing and starring in HBO's 'Mae West'
- Megan Mullally guesting on NBC's 'Sean Saves the World'
- Kevin Pollak joins CBS's comedy 'Mom'
- Dann Florek leaving NBC's 'Law & Order: SVU'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner opening in New York
Senior media buyer and planner in Denver
Programmatic media director in Chicago
Senior media planner position in Calgaray
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan