Shut it, Cindy: ‘Brady Bunch’ star booted from radio gig
December 11, 2016
“Brady Bunch,” the wholesome 1970s comedy about a blended family, aired decades before the advent of social media, but if Facebook had been around back then, you can bet the Brady kids would have learned some stern lessons about cyberbullying and minding your online P’s and Q’s from momma and papa Brady.
Alas, those lessons may have come in handy this past week for Susan Olsen, the actress who played little Cindy Brady on the show.
LA Talk Radio fired Olsen from her job co-hosting “Two Chicks Talkin’ Politics” this week after being alerted to offensive comments the host allegedly made in a confrontation with another actor, Leon Acord-Whiting.
Acord-Whiting, who is openly gay, appeared on “Chicks” last week and posted on Facebook his distaste for opinions given by Olsen, a conservative who supports Donald Trump. He said Olsen was “irresponsible” and had been spreading misinformation.
Olsen responded with what appeared to be a slur against the actor. She messaged him, and he took a screengrab of the message, in which she called him the f-word twice.
Olsen’s liberal co-host on the program, Sheena Metal, defended her friend, but LA Talk Radio had little choice but to fire Olsen after her comments went viral.
New York leads the Ellie nominations, once again
CBS’s ‘Hunted’: Little hope of sustaining its big bow
Best of the week: On the origins of fake news
In this digital age, the allure of alternative OOH
Digital radio: A primer for media planners and buyers
Weekend TV: ‘Beaches’ for a new generation
Cable overnights: Good start for ‘Six’ on History
Warriors-Cavs sets three-year high on TNT
The rundown on media coverage of the inauguration
New sitcom ‘Speechless’ tops a slow Wednesday
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
This week’s broadcast ratings
- Michael Lieberman becomes CSO at Kinetic Worldwide
- Ryan Haskins becomes director of media at Figliulo&Partners
- Deborah Furey becomes SVP of strategy at Wunderman Health
- Martin McDonald becomes VP of strategic sales at V Digital Services
- Bob Johns becomes chief revenue officer at Big Outdoor
- Chris Brooks rises to EVP of distribution at CW
- Salil Mehta becomes president at FoxNext
- David Perpich becomes president and GM at The Wirecutter
- Jessica Sebor and Aaron Hersh rise at Competitor Group
- Jeff Hackett joins and Mike Owen rises at AdColony
- James Frain joins CBS All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York