Royalty rates rising for Sirius XM Radio
December 17, 2012
There’s been a lot of noise lately over royalty rates being charged to Pandora and other online radio stations, much of it generated by the internet network itself.
Expect the dull roar surrounding the royalty debate to get a bit louder over the next few days following a decision Friday by the Copyright Royalty Board, which said that music royalties paid by the satellite radio company Sirius XM Radio will go from 8 percent to 9 percent of the company’s gross revenue next year.
It will then increase by 0.5 percent annually through 2017, peaking at 11 percent.
The issue had been raging as a court battle the past two years before the CRB made its decision. It marked the first rate readjustment since 2007, when Sirius and XM were separate companies.
The rate markup comes as satellite radio shows signs of growth and maturity. Subscribers now number 23 million, and the venture has become profitable after a brief period of near-bankruptcy following the 2008 merger.
Huge surge for Sweet Sixteen games
Latest forecast for the upfront: Not good
Jon Swallen on the media economy
‘The Dovekeepers,’ a long four hours
Rachel, the interview did not go well
Tell us, what’s the state of late-night TV?
Best bets on TV this weekend 3.27.15
Cable overnights: ‘Catfish’ hooks a win
Social’s share of display ads is on the rise
Apple eyes a foray into streaming music
Alas, it’s farewell to ‘Downton Abbey’
A lackluster return for ‘American Idol’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
- Kristi DesJarlais becomes SVP and GM at Saxum
- Jason Wyrick rises to VP of digital platforms at Starz
- Brad Dunn becomes chief digital officer at Athlon Media Group/Parade
- Jazmine Hughes becomes associate digital editor at NY Times Magazine
- Steele Marcoux becomes editor at Coastal Living
- Erantzeri Corona becomes VP of marketing at MoviePass
- Zendaya hosting the Radio Disney Music Awards
- Rex Linn joins the cast of ABC's 'Nashville'
- Chris McDonald replaces James Caan in Fox's 'Fantasy Life'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ
Job opening: Next president of TAB
Digital media buyer job in Salt Lake City
TV media buyer wanted in New York