Royalty rates rising for Sirius XM Radio
December 17, 2012
There’s been a lot of noise lately over royalty rates being charged to Pandora and other online radio stations, much of it generated by the internet network itself.
Expect the dull roar surrounding the royalty debate to get a bit louder over the next few days following a decision Friday by the Copyright Royalty Board, which said that music royalties paid by the satellite radio company Sirius XM Radio will go from 8 percent to 9 percent of the company’s gross revenue next year.
It will then increase by 0.5 percent annually through 2017, peaking at 11 percent.
The issue had been raging as a court battle the past two years before the CRB made its decision. It marked the first rate readjustment since 2007, when Sirius and XM were separate companies.
The rate markup comes as satellite radio shows signs of growth and maturity. Subscribers now number 23 million, and the venture has become profitable after a brief period of near-bankruptcy following the 2008 merger.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago