Royalty rates rising for Sirius XM Radio
December 17, 2012
There’s been a lot of noise lately over royalty rates being charged to Pandora and other online radio stations, much of it generated by the internet network itself.
Expect the dull roar surrounding the royalty debate to get a bit louder over the next few days following a decision Friday by the Copyright Royalty Board, which said that music royalties paid by the satellite radio company Sirius XM Radio will go from 8 percent to 9 percent of the company’s gross revenue next year.
It will then increase by 0.5 percent annually through 2017, peaking at 11 percent.
The issue had been raging as a court battle the past two years before the CRB made its decision. It marked the first rate readjustment since 2007, when Sirius and XM were separate companies.
The rate markup comes as satellite radio shows signs of growth and maturity. Subscribers now number 23 million, and the venture has become profitable after a brief period of near-bankruptcy following the 2008 merger.
Make it four in a row for ‘World News’
The lowdown on Mayweather-Pacquiao
CBS’s ‘Stalker’ grows in move to Monday
Maker: Expect a lot of Disney tie-ins
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
These days, people prefer streaming
Buzzfeed: We’re video distributors now
How to target Millennials in print
‘Swab Stories,’ better left to daytime TV
Will NBC bring Brian Williams back?
The big sads for ‘One Big Happy’
Smartwatch ads could face backlash
ESPN taking Verizon to court
- Jim Houck becomes ECD at Lowe Campbell Ewald
- Zola Mashariki becomes head of programming at BET
- Kim Nussbaum and Don Burk rise at The McClatchy Co.
- Alex Rogers becomes a Congressional reporter at National Journal
- Brad Herman becomes chief business development officer at Verve
- Blake Burrus becomes EVP of customer success at ThinkVine
- Ed Henry covering Hillary Clinton for Fox News Channel
- Jake Tapper becomes host of CNN's 'State of the Union'
- Dora Madison Burge joins NBC's 'Chicago Fire'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
Associate comms director opening in Boston
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC