Royalty rates rising for Sirius XM Radio
December 17, 2012
There’s been a lot of noise lately over royalty rates being charged to Pandora and other online radio stations, much of it generated by the internet network itself.
Expect the dull roar surrounding the royalty debate to get a bit louder over the next few days following a decision Friday by the Copyright Royalty Board, which said that music royalties paid by the satellite radio company Sirius XM Radio will go from 8 percent to 9 percent of the company’s gross revenue next year.
It will then increase by 0.5 percent annually through 2017, peaking at 11 percent.
The issue had been raging as a court battle the past two years before the CRB made its decision. It marked the first rate readjustment since 2007, when Sirius and XM were separate companies.
The rate markup comes as satellite radio shows signs of growth and maturity. Subscribers now number 23 million, and the venture has become profitable after a brief period of near-bankruptcy following the 2008 merger.
TLC yanks ’19 Kids and Counting’
‘Late Show’ finale hits 21-year high
‘Modern Family’ falls to low in finale
Once again, ABC wins May sweep
This fall’s five big timeslot battles
Oh my! There goes Marilyn’s skirt.
‘Late Show With David Letterman,’ bravo
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Weekend TV: Indy 500 revs up
Cable overnights: NBA stays hot
Fun facts about the Indy 500
Buyouts coming at Wall Street Journal
A record season for Telemundo
- Twelve join California agency David&Goliath
- Ellie Duque becomes publisher at Entertainment Weekly
- CBS Entertainment EVP of comedy Wendi Trilling exiting
- New York Times chief information officer Marc Frons exiting
- Marjorie Miller rises to director of global news at the Associated Press
- Melissa Bell rises to VP of growth and analytics at Vox Media
- Josh Swade becomes executive producer for film and video at Rolling Stone
- Jessica Lussenhop becomes senior writer at BBC News Magazine
- Emily Banks becomes deputy mobile editor at Bloomberg Digital
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh