Report: BBC host may have abused up to 1,000
January 21, 2014
During his decades-long career on the BBC, host Jimmy Savile may have sexually abused up to 1,000 people, according to an inquiry on the matter slated to be released next month.
The public broadcaster has been compiling a report on Savile, who hosted “Top of Pops” and served as a DJ for BBC.
According to a copy leaked to The Observer in London, Savile was implicated to authorities in 450 cases, and many more are believed to have gone unreported.
Savile died in 2011. Allegations of his sexual misconduct did not emerge until 2012.
Some 138 people are taking civil action against the BBC for their alleged abuse, and the report claims that some BBC executives knew about the complaints against Savile and did nothing to stop him.
This season’s most time-shifted shows
Behind the push for big data in media
Sacramento: TV is solid, radio strong
‘CSI: Cyber,’ playing to an older crowd
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
Now, elsewhere in the Marvel universe
Mort’s mystery man: John Catsimatidis
Rebekah Brooks eyes a return to News Corp.
‘Orange is the New Black’ back this summer
Paper cuts: Buyouts at the Chicago Sun-Times
Strong start for Fox’s ‘Last Man on Earth’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
- Rob Reifenheiser rises to North America managing director at Essence
- James Price becomes SVP of data insights at Outfront Media
- Nick Brien becomes CEO at iCrossing
- Didi Gluck becomes deputy beauty editor at More magazine
- Jeff Dossett becomes chief revenue officer at GOOD Worldwide
- María Lopez-Knowles rises to CMO at Entravision
- Clare Ferguson becomes design director at Marie Claire
- Amy Levin-Epstein becomes executive editor at Serendipity
- Christopher Meloni joins WGN America's 'Underground'
- Elliott Gould joins CBS drama pilot 'Doubt'
- Sarah Chalke joins Fox's '48 Hours 'Til Monday'
- Mark Cuban and Ann Coulter join Syfy's 'Sharknado 3'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager