Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager