Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
TCA roundup: PBS sets ‘Downton’ premiere
NBC’s ‘Today’ builds news demo mojo
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
- Yoni Schwartz becomes SVP of client growth at Target Media
- Monica Hennessey and Brittany Lantry join Rhea + Kaiser
- Judd S. Mohel rises to national accounts manager at EYE Corp Media
- Daniel Jasper and Brian Carney join New York Media
- Courtney Kenefick and Nate Storey becomes associate editors at Surface
- Nathaniel Wilson becomes EVP of sales and marketing at Adventr
- Archie Panjabi guesting on Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Rhys Ifans joins the cast of Epix's 'Berlin Station'
- British TV host Cilla Black dies at age 72
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta