Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit