Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago