Remembering Metro’s Tony Metcalf
July 19, 2013
The man who headed the editorial efforts at Metro newspapers on two separate occasions has passed away.
Tony Metcalf, who was 50, died Sunday in Darlington, England, shortly after being diagnosed with colon cancer.
Metcalf had been editor in chief of Metro U.S., where he’d worked since 2008.
He’d previously been editor in chief of Metro International from 2000 to 2003, helping to launch more than 20 new editions of the free paper across the world.
Metcalf believed deeply in the ideals behind free papers. He departed Metro in 2003 to launch his own free tabloid in Dubai, where he remained for five years before selling the publication and returning to Metro.
A British native, Metcalf never lost his passion for his beloved Newcastle United despite his many years in the United States. He’s survived by his wife and two children.
Bruce Jenner interview draws 16.9 million
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ grows with plot twist
Why the Empire State Building is red
Comcast confirms: TWC deal is dead
Nielsen: Cord cutting’s no big deal
Washington, D.C.: TV remains strong
‘Happyish,’ happyish in spite of itself
Rachel, this rep’s driving me bonkers
So, what network will win May sweeps?
Weekend TV: Sweeps stunts & sports
Cable overnights: MTV’s ‘Catfish’ surges
Ovation upfront: Eying consistency
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on Wednesday
- Patty Jones, Michelle Kitchen and Melanie Johnston rise at DDB Canada
- Jamie Horowitz becomes president at Fox Sports National Networks
- Three rise to SVPs of advertising at The New York Times
- Ariff Sidi becomes SVP of digital products at Fox
- Tuwisha Rogers becomes VP of brand leadership at One Solution
- Bill Siwicki becomes VP of mobile strategy at GPShopper
- Edward D. Ciofani becomes CEO at WhereverTV Broadcasting
- Franz Drameh joins the cast of CW's 'Arrow' and "Flash' spinoff
- Ray Romano hosting David Letterman primetime special
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle