Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois