Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
Rachel, I don’t think my boss likes me
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: A surge for ‘Suits’
Washington Post: Iran detained our reporter
Ahhh, a little light mooding for ‘Sharknado 2′
Study: Good Twitter buzz can really lift a movie
More rumors about ‘Meet the Press’ host
A night of ups and downs for broadcast
Two more summer shows get the axe
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
‘Married,’ funny, yes. Deep? No.
For Fox, extra helpings of chef Ramsay
- CBS Outdoor president and COO Wally Kelly exiting
- Matt Miller becomes ECD at BBDO San Francisco
- Drew Brown becomes SVP of production at AMC
- Denise Vance rises to head of U.S. video and radio at the AP
- Josh Topolsky becomes an online editor at Bloomberg
- David Rubin becomes head of brand at Pinterest
- Amie Deutch becomes publisher at Tasting Table
- Caroline Sheu becomes chief marketing officer at Care.com
- Paul Burden becomes SVP of sales at XAPPmedia
- Maude Apatow guesting on HBO's 'Girls'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford