Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
Uber to drivers: Please listen to Pandora
ABC’s premiere strategy: Rolling through October
NBC springs back ahead of ABC on Monday night
Set to soar: Programmatic TV advertising
The media we consume: What’s hot, what’s not
Upfront begins its chug to the finish line
The coming great shift in mobile advertising
America’s most patriotic brands: Jeep and Disney
Tell us, what’s your take on ad agency kickbacks?
For ‘Zoo,’ maintaining that animal instinct
Shocker: Global newspaper readership rises
Correction: Those 126 papers closed over a decade
Strong start for ABC’s Sunday game show block
- Matthieu Habra becomes head of Havas' new network Adcity
- Nils Leonard, Lucy Jameson and Natalie Graeme leave Grey London
- Roy Huhta becomes chief product officer at West Cary Group
- Sheryl Grigsby becomes GM at True Blue Media
- Starz CEO Chris Albrecht adds network president to his duties
- Keith Bradsher becomes Shanghai bureau chief at NY Times
- Nancy O’Dell hosting CBS's 'Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular'
- Matthew Goode joins WGN America's 'Roadside Picnic'
- Freida Pinto joins the cast of Showtime's 'Guerrilla'
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: May 2016
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Associate media director position in LA
Media assistant opening in Northern Virginia
Freelance broadcast planner/buyer available
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer