Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
Study: Mobile app ads get higher CTR
Netflix pays big bucks for ‘The Blacklist’
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Junior media planner job in the Washington area
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC