Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager