Radio ad spending remains flat in first quarter
May 20, 2013
First-quarter ad spending numbers are beginning to trickle in, and it looks as though the year got off to a slow start.
Radio ad spending was even to last year during the three-month period ended in March, according to numbers released Friday by the Radio Advertising Bureau.
Total spending was $3.5 billion, and the biggest category, spot, was actually down 2 percent, to $3 billion.
But the other two categories saw decent gains to offset that decline. Digital once again rose, this time by 9 percent, to $179 million, while off-air radio was up 5 percent to $338 million.
Automotive spending was down 20 percent during first quarter, but communications/cellular and financial services both saw gains, up 36 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
The RAB notes that following a sluggish January and February, spending did see a notable uptick in March, perhaps reflecting the greater consumer confidence as the year went on.
Second-week declines for ABC comedies
Study: SMBs spend $501.4B on digital marketing
Wow: Netflix lands Adam Sandler movie deal
Where’s the hope for magazines? Mobile.
The season’s top new shows, so far
‘Gracepoint,’ solid remake of Brit drama
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
Finally, the CW’s fall lineup kicks off
Cable overnights: Postseason MLB draws a crowd
Adios, ‘Utopia:’ Fox yanks show’s Tuesday edition
DirecTV hangs on to NFL Sunday Ticket
PBS and CBS lead News & Documentary Emmys
Paper cuts: The New York Times chops jobs
- C. Brett Marottoli rises to VP of program acquisitions at Starz
- E! president Suzanne Kolb exits the network
- Sandy Alouete rises to SVP of talent and music programming at VH1
- Jack Foley becomes VP of business development at Westwood One
- Marie Joshi becomes director of strategic partnerships at Adaptly
- Liane Pierce becomes VP of client services at Yieldbot
- Stephanie Pilon becomes head of UK sales at adjust
- Ryan Hansen guesting on CW's upcoming 'iZombie'
- Soap opera writer Sam Hall dies at age 93
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer job in Los Angeles
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.