Radio ad revenue flat in third quarter
November 20, 2012
Third quarter ad revenue data is starting to come in, and the early verdict is this: Things didn't improve from second quarter.
Though radio, the first major medium to report third-quarter data, did not see gains during the three-month period ended in September, it also did not fall.
Year to date radio is up 1 percent, according to new numbers from the Radio Advertising Bureau.
That comes after a disappointing second quarter when ad spending on all media was up only 0.9 percent, according to Kantar Media.
Radio’s only gains during third quarter came from digital, which was up 8 percent. The category has grown 7 percent year to date.
Local spot was once again flat in third quarter, as it has been all year. And off-air advertising was flat in third quarter, though it is up 2 percent year to date.
Several key radio categories, including communications/cellular, financial services, insurance companies and restaurants, all saw decreased activity during third quarter.
Domestic and foreign auto, national grocery, clothing and big-box retailers were all up, as was political.
Comcast, McDonald’s and AT&T were the top individual advertisers during third quarter.
For a more detailed breakdown, click here.
Tags: ad spending, advertisers, advertising, auto, communications, kantar media, local ad spending, local radio advertising, media, political, rab, radio, radio ad spending, radio advertising, Radio Advertising Bureau, spot
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
Weekend TV: The Super Bowl edition
Cable overnights: Another Warriors victory
So-so turnout for ‘Madoff’ miniseries
Sumner Redstone steps down at Viacom, too
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Denver: Bonkers for Broncs’ big game
What’s hot and not for Super Bowl ads
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- James Bennet becomes president at ASME
- Andrew Edwards becomes director of digital intelligence at Cardinal Path
- Marc Ferrentino becomes EVP of strategy at Yext
- Matt LeBlanc becomes co-host on BBC's 'Top Gear'
- Isabella Rossellini joins the cast of Hulu's 'Shut Eye'
- Seal joins the cast of Fox’s ‘The Passion’
- Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart join FX’s ‘Legion’
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager