Radio ad revenue flat in third quarter
November 20, 2012
Third quarter ad revenue data is starting to come in, and the early verdict is this: Things didn't improve from second quarter.
Though radio, the first major medium to report third-quarter data, did not see gains during the three-month period ended in September, it also did not fall.
Year to date radio is up 1 percent, according to new numbers from the Radio Advertising Bureau.
That comes after a disappointing second quarter when ad spending on all media was up only 0.9 percent, according to Kantar Media.
Radio’s only gains during third quarter came from digital, which was up 8 percent. The category has grown 7 percent year to date.
Local spot was once again flat in third quarter, as it has been all year. And off-air advertising was flat in third quarter, though it is up 2 percent year to date.
Several key radio categories, including communications/cellular, financial services, insurance companies and restaurants, all saw decreased activity during third quarter.
Domestic and foreign auto, national grocery, clothing and big-box retailers were all up, as was political.
Comcast, McDonald’s and AT&T were the top individual advertisers during third quarter.
For a more detailed breakdown, click here.
Tags: ad spending, advertisers, advertising, auto, communications, kantar media, local ad spending, local radio advertising, media, political, rab, radio, radio ad spending, radio advertising, Radio Advertising Bureau, spot
A record gain in L+3 for ABC’s ‘Murder’
New dramas hold up on Monday night
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
This week’s broadcast ratings
New way to measure magazine audiences
Why programmatic ad buying is so hot
The lasting wisdom of John Mack Carter
‘Stalker,’ short on chills, fewer thrills
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
One final tribute to the late Joan Rivers
Facebook’s new ad program Atlas is finally here
Study: Apple dominates the mobile market
- Robert Hannan and Mark Mylan rise at Carat USA
- Frances Berwick rises to president of lifestyle networks at NBCU
- Ben Price and Simon Robinson rise at Discovery Communications
- Mari Ghuneim and Daniel Manu join truTV
- Eddie Dalva rises to EVP of content at Viacom Entertainment
- Bennett Fogel rises to EVP and CRO at NCM Media Networks
- Justin Schaflander and Jason Mosher rise at iHeartMedia
- Scott Brady becomes VP of sales and analytics at StartApp
- Bruce Robertson rises to EVP at ITV Studios America
- Kris Van Cleave becomes a correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Claudio 'El Emperador' Suarez becomes an analyst at Fox Deportes
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.
Radio media buyer opening in Orange, California