Political ad spending on TV hits $2.11B
November 2, 2012
Politicians and special-interest groups are emptying their pockets in the days before the election.
Total political ad spending on television has hit $2.11 billion, according to the latest figures from Wells Fargo, up 13.1 percent from the previous week.
All figures run through Oct. 21.
Some $1.91 billion has been spent on local television, up from $1.67 billion the week before.
Though residents of swing states probably feel as though nearly every ad is related to the presidential election at this point, Congressional ads have actually account for most local spending, 40.8 percent.
Presidential spending has accounted for 35.3 percent, ballot measures 20.4 percent, and “other” 3.5 percent.
Wells Fargo has predicted that more than $3 billion will be spent on local TV ads alone during this election.
Sponsors gallop to the Kentucky Derby
What to watch for at the Newfronts: Day five
Digital Content Newfronts blog: Day four update
Rachel, what do you see coming in media?
Tell us, what’s the state of magazines right now?
Weekend TV: Farewell to Alicia Florrick
Cable overnights: Big numbers for sports playoffs
New from Time Inc., hypertargeting of ads
Ranking the most popular sports OTT networks
Ugh: Voluntary buyouts hit Discovery Communications
‘The Goldbergs’ surges to a six-week high
Alas, New Day won’t see another one
The ever-elusive promise of podcasting
- Four join the digital agency Digital Pulp
- Jennifer Bradley becomes media relations director at MassMedia
- Elizabeth Boykewich rises to SVP of casting at Freeform
- Calandria Meadows becomes VP of social media at Bounce TV
- Brian Madigan becomes director of video at Real Simple
- Adam Jenkins becomes executive producer at Labs
- Adam Bernstein directing Spike TV's 'The Mist'
- Ryan Murphy working on FX limited series 'Feud'
- Natalie Morales becomes co-host on 'Access Hollywood'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer
Memphis agency seeks a media planner
Needed: Globally conscious sales/marketing rep
San Diego opening for a digital marketing account manager