Political ad spending on TV hits $2.11B
November 2, 2012
Politicians and special-interest groups are emptying their pockets in the days before the election.
Total political ad spending on television has hit $2.11 billion, according to the latest figures from Wells Fargo, up 13.1 percent from the previous week.
All figures run through Oct. 21.
Some $1.91 billion has been spent on local television, up from $1.67 billion the week before.
Though residents of swing states probably feel as though nearly every ad is related to the presidential election at this point, Congressional ads have actually account for most local spending, 40.8 percent.
Presidential spending has accounted for 35.3 percent, ballot measures 20.4 percent, and “other” 3.5 percent.
Wells Fargo has predicted that more than $3 billion will be spent on local TV ads alone during this election.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager