Political ad spending on TV hits $2.11B
November 2, 2012
Politicians and special-interest groups are emptying their pockets in the days before the election.
Total political ad spending on television has hit $2.11 billion, according to the latest figures from Wells Fargo, up 13.1 percent from the previous week.
All figures run through Oct. 21.
Some $1.91 billion has been spent on local television, up from $1.67 billion the week before.
Though residents of swing states probably feel as though nearly every ad is related to the presidential election at this point, Congressional ads have actually account for most local spending, 40.8 percent.
Presidential spending has accounted for 35.3 percent, ballot measures 20.4 percent, and “other” 3.5 percent.
Wells Fargo has predicted that more than $3 billion will be spent on local TV ads alone during this election.
For TV, hitching on to new technology
Green Monday lives up to its name online
Goodbye, Bio channel, and hello to FYI
Cable overnights: ‘Sons’ closes season strong
For magazines, moving beyond print and digital
The five best Christmas specials
Why the bright outlook for local advertising
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
An early look at the Heisman favorite
Study: Millennials aren’t glued to smartphones
‘Victoria’s Secret’ struts to third-biggest crowd
Time’s person of the year: Pope Francis
CBS: Our streaming audience has soared
- Myles Kellam becomes director of client development at LevLane
- Elizabeth Tumulty rises to president of affiliate relations at CBS
- Bear Fisher becomes SVP of marketing at NBCUniversal
- Vernon Loeb becomes managing editor at The Houston Chronicle
- Jennie Morris and Jerry Blake join cable network Pivot
- Jeff Sottolano becomes director of programming at CBS Radio
- Four join online ad technology company Rubicon Project
- Bette Midler producing and starring in HBO's 'Mae West'
- Megan Mullally guesting on NBC's 'Sean Saves the World'
- Kevin Pollak joins CBS's comedy 'Mom'
- Dann Florek leaving NBC's 'Law & Order: SVU'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner opening in New York
Senior media buyer and planner in Denver
Programmatic media director in Chicago
Senior media planner position in Calgaray
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan