Pew: Young people eschewing TV news
October 17, 2012
It’s no secret that fewer young people are reading newspapers. Now it appears they’re eschewing another form of traditional media, the local news.
A new report from the Pew Research Center finds that only 34 percent of people ages 18-29 watched any TV news the previous day, down from 49 percent just six years ago.
The overall percentage of people watching TV news also dropped, though not as sharply as among young people. It went from 57 percent to 55 percent.
Young people saw by far the sharpest drop, with viewers ages 50 and above actually reporting a gain in TV news viewing.
Asked whether they “regularly” view TV news, 28 percent of 18-29s said yes, compared to 42 percent six years ago.
Clearly media habits are shifting. The study found that only 23 percent of all respondents reported reading a newspaper the previous day, compared to 38 percent six years ago and 41 percent a decade ago.
Just 17 percent had read a print magazine, down 7 percentage points from 2006.
Women’s World Cup’s real winner: Nike
Record ratings for women’s big win
Hispanic ad dollars are up, defying trend
So cool: An underwater radio station
‘Dates,’ love stories of first meetings
So, what’s your take on summer TV?
Yes, Amy Schumer is unavoidable now
A bombshell in the case against Cosby
Study: Netflix threatens traditional TV
Big DVR jump for ‘America’s Got Talent’
On the rise: Digital music streaming
ABC and CBS shows fall vs. soccer
New place for ads: The masthead
- David Matathia becomes CSO at Fitzgerald & Co.
- Matt Forde rises to EVP of production at BBC Worldwide North America
- Lori Hall becomes SVP of marketing at TV One
- Keith Summa rises to SVP of content innovation at Univision News
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan joins the cast of CBS's 'The Good Wife'
- Gabriel Soto joins Univision's 'Yo no Creo en los Hombres'
- Jessica Lucas joins Fox's 'Gotham'
- Marisa Tomei joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire'
- Betty White hosting Discovery Family's 'Pawgust' stunt
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta
Media planner position in Minneapolis
Media buyer position in Sacramento