Pew: Young people eschewing TV news
October 17, 2012
It’s no secret that fewer young people are reading newspapers. Now it appears they’re eschewing another form of traditional media, the local news.
A new report from the Pew Research Center finds that only 34 percent of people ages 18-29 watched any TV news the previous day, down from 49 percent just six years ago.
The overall percentage of people watching TV news also dropped, though not as sharply as among young people. It went from 57 percent to 55 percent.
Young people saw by far the sharpest drop, with viewers ages 50 and above actually reporting a gain in TV news viewing.
Asked whether they “regularly” view TV news, 28 percent of 18-29s said yes, compared to 42 percent six years ago.
Clearly media habits are shifting. The study found that only 23 percent of all respondents reported reading a newspaper the previous day, compared to 38 percent six years ago and 41 percent a decade ago.
Just 17 percent had read a print magazine, down 7 percentage points from 2006.
A new leader for Rolling Stone
Gallup: We are totally addicted to our phones
TCA roundup: PBS sets ‘Downton’ premiere
NBC’s ‘Today’ builds news demo mojo
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
- Yoni Schwartz becomes SVP of client growth at Target Media
- Monica Hennessey and Brittany Lantry join Rhea + Kaiser
- Judd S. Mohel rises to national accounts manager at EYE Corp Media
- Daniel Jasper and Brian Carney join New York Media
- Courtney Kenefick and Nate Storey becomes associate editors at Surface
- Nathaniel Wilson becomes EVP of sales and marketing at Adventr
- Archie Panjabi guesting on Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Rhys Ifans joins the cast of Epix's 'Berlin Station'
- British TV host Cilla Black dies at age 72
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta