Pew: Young people eschewing TV news
October 17, 2012
It’s no secret that fewer young people are reading newspapers. Now it appears they’re eschewing another form of traditional media, the local news.
A new report from the Pew Research Center finds that only 34 percent of people ages 18-29 watched any TV news the previous day, down from 49 percent just six years ago.
The overall percentage of people watching TV news also dropped, though not as sharply as among young people. It went from 57 percent to 55 percent.
Young people saw by far the sharpest drop, with viewers ages 50 and above actually reporting a gain in TV news viewing.
Asked whether they “regularly” view TV news, 28 percent of 18-29s said yes, compared to 42 percent six years ago.
Clearly media habits are shifting. The study found that only 23 percent of all respondents reported reading a newspaper the previous day, compared to 38 percent six years ago and 41 percent a decade ago.
Just 17 percent had read a print magazine, down 7 percentage points from 2006.
NBC and ABC fall against sports
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
TV ad clutter is worse than ever
Ranking the new shows, top to bottom
‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,’ surprisingly good
Rachel, I hear promise after promise
Tell us what you want from OOH ratings
Weekend TV: The zombies return
Cable overnights: Another MLB record
Fusion lays off 30 two years after launch
Even with decline, ‘Empire’ dominates
Cute: Halloween fun on Realtor.com
Survey: Morale is low at agencies
- David Kolbusz becomes CCO at Droga5 London
- Andrew Dauska becomes managing director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Lisa Zakarin becomes managing director at Publicis Hawkeye
- Kevin Dolak, Seung Lee and Helen Russell join Newsweek
- Karen DeFriez becomes affiliate sales manager at Westwood One
- Dick Costolo joins HBO's 'Silicon Valley' as a consultant
- Lou Diamond Phillips guesting on NBC's 'Blindspot'
- Melanie Liburd joins HBO's 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Sopranos' actor Frank Albanese dies at age 84
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven