Pew: Young people eschewing TV news
October 17, 2012
It’s no secret that fewer young people are reading newspapers. Now it appears they’re eschewing another form of traditional media, the local news.
A new report from the Pew Research Center finds that only 34 percent of people ages 18-29 watched any TV news the previous day, down from 49 percent just six years ago.
The overall percentage of people watching TV news also dropped, though not as sharply as among young people. It went from 57 percent to 55 percent.
Young people saw by far the sharpest drop, with viewers ages 50 and above actually reporting a gain in TV news viewing.
Asked whether they “regularly” view TV news, 28 percent of 18-29s said yes, compared to 42 percent six years ago.
Clearly media habits are shifting. The study found that only 23 percent of all respondents reported reading a newspaper the previous day, compared to 38 percent six years ago and 41 percent a decade ago.
Just 17 percent had read a print magazine, down 7 percentage points from 2006.
Disney Junior planning Latin-inspired princess
‘Empire’ holds steady in fourth week
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
This year’s big Super Bowl ad trends
Here they are: Buzziest Super Bowl ads
‘Duff Till Dawn,’ don’t bother to stay up
So tell us, who will win Sunday’s Super Bowl?
For ‘Parenthood,’ pulling at the heart
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
Meredith buys more health titles
GoDaddy yanks controversial Super Bowl ad
- Bryce McTavish becomes SVP at The Integer Group
- Betsy Fischer Martin becomes contributing editor at More
- Brent Cunningham joins Food & Environment Reporting Network
- Rehan Iqbal and Garen Karnikian rise at True North
- Ari Buchalter and Michael Lamb become co-presidents at MediaMath
- Jacob Chappell becomes VP of sales at SOCi
- Shania Twain starring in ABC concert special
- Jerry Ferrara joins Starz's drama 'Power'
- Nick Jonas joins the cast of Fox's 'Scream Queens'
- Rita Ora performing on ABC's Academy Awards telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York
Assistant digital media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Media planner/buyer position in Baltimore