Oscars spark 14.7 million tweets
March 3, 2014
Yesterday’s Academy Awards were way too long and way too self-congratulatory, from Matthew McConaughey’s “I’m my own hero” speech to the stretched-out tributes to Ellen DeGeneres trolling for pizza money.
But the ceremony, which wrapped up just before midnight, was a big hit on social media.
Twitter reports that more than 14.7 million Oscar-related tweets were sent during the show, from 8:30 p.m. to 12 a.m.
DeGeneres did a cute bit where she took a selfie with some of Hollywood’s biggest stars, including Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt. She encouraged people to retweet it, hoping it would become the most-retweeted photo ever.
And she hit her goal. As of this morning it had been retweeted more than 2.5 million times.
She gained more than 1 million followers throughout the ceremony, taking her above 26 million.
The night’s most-tweeted-about nominees were Jennifer Lawrence, Pitt, “Gravity” director Alfonso Cuaron and best actress winner Cate Blanchett, while “Gravity” and “Frozen” were the most-tweeted-about movies.
TV ratings for the show will be out later today.
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
Won’t you help Jon Stewart buy CNN?
Huge management shakeup at Conde Nast
Lukewarm debut for NBC’s ‘Food Fighters’
This summer’s winners and losers
The future for Forbes and other business titles
Swing and a miss for the British Open
‘Manhattan,’ not a bomb but little spark
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
For Lifetime, heels kicking up high
Cable overnights: ‘Hip Hop’ jumps on VH1
How many subscribers did Aereo have, anyway?
Right now at Comic-Con: PETA’s latest work
- Shoshana Winter becomes executive planning director at mcgarrybowen
- Danna Castiglia rises to VP of business development at CBS News
- Tim Pastore becomes programming president at National Geographic Channel
- Bill Cox and Walter Naar join Grit and Escape
- Nick Catucci becomes features editor at Billboard
- Paul Cushman becomes chief revenue officer at Dstillery
- Michelle Fairley joins the cast of ABC's 'Resurrection'
- Shemar Moore returning to CBS's 'Young and the Restless'
- Lucy Lawless joins ABC's 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- Cast of 'Orange is the New Black' guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford