Oprah: I went through tough times last year
August 16, 2013
You might think Oprah Winfrey has it pretty good – a cable network, a magazine, besties with the president and his wife, and, oh yeah, billions of dollars.
But last summer things didn’t feel so great for the media mogul.
She says she experienced symptoms of a nervous breakdown last summer after taking over as chief executive officer of her then-struggling cable venture, which had a bumpy launch in 2011.
She discussed the feelings with People and on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,” saying that she felt overwhelmed by the bad press OWN was receiving.
She told People that she realized she needed to step back a bit or hit a full-blown crisis and that the moment, “forced me not to just talk the talk. Failure is a great teacher. I knew this intellectually. But it’s another thing if you’re living it.”
Discovery, which owns OWN, said the network is now on pace to make a profit in 2013.
NBC’s ‘Best Time Ever': Possibly
‘Job or No Job,’ well, it is the summer
Tell us your thoughts on radio
For ‘Bachelor’ rejects, on to paradise
A new leader for Rolling Stone
Gallup: We are totally addicted to our phones
TCA roundup: PBS sets ‘Downton’ premiere
NBC’s ‘Today’ builds news demo mojo
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
- Yoni Schwartz becomes SVP of client growth at Target Media
- Monica Hennessey and Brittany Lantry join Rhea + Kaiser
- Judd S. Mohel rises to national accounts manager at EYE Corp Media
- Daniel Jasper and Brian Carney join New York Media
- Courtney Kenefick and Nate Storey becomes associate editors at Surface
- Nathaniel Wilson becomes EVP of sales and marketing at Adventr
- Archie Panjabi guesting on Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Rhys Ifans joins the cast of Epix's 'Berlin Station'
- British TV host Cilla Black dies at age 72
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta