Oprah: I went through tough times last year
August 16, 2013
You might think Oprah Winfrey has it pretty good – a cable network, a magazine, besties with the president and his wife, and, oh yeah, billions of dollars.
But last summer things didn’t feel so great for the media mogul.
She says she experienced symptoms of a nervous breakdown last summer after taking over as chief executive officer of her then-struggling cable venture, which had a bumpy launch in 2011.
She discussed the feelings with People and on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,” saying that she felt overwhelmed by the bad press OWN was receiving.
She told People that she realized she needed to step back a bit or hit a full-blown crisis and that the moment, “forced me not to just talk the talk. Failure is a great teacher. I knew this intellectually. But it’s another thing if you’re living it.”
Discovery, which owns OWN, said the network is now on pace to make a profit in 2013.
Big audience for ‘Bonnie,’ but no record
For a month only, SpongeBob MailPants
Football lifts Fox’s animated lineup
Ad spending in 2014: Still a slow go
The word: Mansueto eyeing Forbes
Friday overnights: NBC continues win streak
For newspapers, the hard task of change
Here they come: The 2014 ad spending forecasts
Saturday overnights: Fox scores with Big Ten
‘GMA’ posts best November ever
ABC cuts order for hot drama ‘Scandal’
‘The Great Christmas Light Fight,’ fun
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
- John Pucci rises to chief creative officer at Hawthorne Direct
- Bass Phillips rises to executive creative director at nFusion
- Gayle Allen becomes VP of marketing solutions at ReelzChannel
- Blair Johnson rises to digital EVP at Cygnus Business Media
- Christina Bellantoni becomes editor in chief at Roll Call
- Darcy Antonellis becomes CEO at Vubiquity
- New Yorker editor David Remnick joins NBC's Olympics coverage
- Regina King joins FX's drama 'The Strain'
- Sarah Palin hosting Sportsman Channel's 'Amazing America'
- Former Napster COO Milton Olin Jr. dies at age 65
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Programmatic media director in Chicago
Senior media planner position in Calgaray
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn