Oprah: I went through tough times last year
August 16, 2013
You might think Oprah Winfrey has it pretty good – a cable network, a magazine, besties with the president and his wife, and, oh yeah, billions of dollars.
But last summer things didn’t feel so great for the media mogul.
She says she experienced symptoms of a nervous breakdown last summer after taking over as chief executive officer of her then-struggling cable venture, which had a bumpy launch in 2011.
She discussed the feelings with People and on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,” saying that she felt overwhelmed by the bad press OWN was receiving.
She told People that she realized she needed to step back a bit or hit a full-blown crisis and that the moment, “forced me not to just talk the talk. Failure is a great teacher. I knew this intellectually. But it’s another thing if you’re living it.”
Discovery, which owns OWN, said the network is now on pace to make a profit in 2013.
‘How to Get Away With Murder’ equals a season high
Satellite’s now an afterthought in the era of digital radio
NASCAR spins its wheels as season gets underway
Best of the week: Ranking black American influencers
Paper cuts: Axe swings at The Financial Times
It’s time to get over the gimcrack of Times Square
Weekend TV: It’s Oscar time in la la land
People really didn’t like media coverage of the election
Cable overnights: ‘Alaskan Bush People’ rises in finale
ABC wins Wednesday with night’s top four shows
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
Who’s leading the February sweep? It’s complicated.
So-so start for HBO’s much-hyped latest new series
- Eight join at FCB Chicago
- Seth Kusiak rises to VP of infrastructure and security services at Advertising Specialty Institute
- John Podesta joins The Washington Post as contributing columnist
- Kim Lamoreaux joins DeForest Times-Tribune
- Lauren Burack rises to SVP of brand and consumer marketing at IFC
- Matthew Broderick starring in ‘Katrina: American Crime Story’
- Brad Garrett joins CBS drama pilot ‘The Get’
- Lea Michele joins ABC comedy pilot
- Lauren Graham joins Fox comedy ‘Linda From HR’
- Former Fox News Channel host Alan Colmes dies at 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York