Oprah: I went through tough times last year
August 16, 2013
You might think Oprah Winfrey has it pretty good – a cable network, a magazine, besties with the president and his wife, and, oh yeah, billions of dollars.
But last summer things didn’t feel so great for the media mogul.
She says she experienced symptoms of a nervous breakdown last summer after taking over as chief executive officer of her then-struggling cable venture, which had a bumpy launch in 2011.
She discussed the feelings with People and on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,” saying that she felt overwhelmed by the bad press OWN was receiving.
She told People that she realized she needed to step back a bit or hit a full-blown crisis and that the moment, “forced me not to just talk the talk. Failure is a great teacher. I knew this intellectually. But it’s another thing if you’re living it.”
Discovery, which owns OWN, said the network is now on pace to make a profit in 2013.
Lukewarm debut for NBC’s ‘Food Fighters’
This summer’s winners and losers
The future for Forbes and other business titles
Swing and a miss for the British Open
‘Manhattan,’ not a bomb but little spark
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
For Lifetime, heels kicking up high
Cable overnights: ‘Hip Hop’ jumps on VH1
How many subscribers did Aereo have, anyway?
Right now at Comic-Con: PETA’s latest work
Study: Relevancy matters for sponsored stories
Fortune finds a new editor: Alan Murray
Fox wins Monday with two servings of Ramsay
- Jeff Brooks becomes chief commercial officer at Assembly
- Scott Monty becomes EVP of strategy at SHIFT Communications
- Amanda Hughes-Watkins and Crystal Ginn join Kettle
- Nick Kaplan becomes creative director at Barton F. Graf
- Andy Wright becomes publisher at The New York Times Magazine
- Tia Maggini becomes VP of original movies at Lifetime
- Megan Murphy rises to Washington bureau chief at The Financial Times
- Mark Green becomes SVP of product strategy at Simulmedia
- Brian Hallisay joins the cast of ABC's 'Revenge'
- Ed Helms, Ed Harris and Hilary Swank eyeing drama ‘One Percent’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford