Oprah: I went through tough times last year
August 16, 2013
You might think Oprah Winfrey has it pretty good – a cable network, a magazine, besties with the president and his wife, and, oh yeah, billions of dollars.
But last summer things didn’t feel so great for the media mogul.
She says she experienced symptoms of a nervous breakdown last summer after taking over as chief executive officer of her then-struggling cable venture, which had a bumpy launch in 2011.
She discussed the feelings with People and on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live,” saying that she felt overwhelmed by the bad press OWN was receiving.
She told People that she realized she needed to step back a bit or hit a full-blown crisis and that the moment, “forced me not to just talk the talk. Failure is a great teacher. I knew this intellectually. But it’s another thing if you’re living it.”
Discovery, which owns OWN, said the network is now on pace to make a profit in 2013.
Jon Swallen on the media economy
Social’s share of display ads is on the rise
Apple eyes a foray into streaming music
Alas, it’s farewell to ‘Downton Abbey’
A lackluster return for ‘American Idol’
‘The Dovekeepers,’ a long four hours
Some key insights into global media
Detroit: TV and radio are cruising
March Madness for digital billboards
‘Weird Loners,’ actually, just TV weird
Tell us, what’s the state of late-night TV?
For ‘Bones,’ the real mystery lingers
Nielsen: Netflix numbers are coming soon
- David Povill and Dave Cuccinello join 180LA
- Amanda Hill becomes international CCO at A+E Networks
- Mike Rosen expands duties at NBCUniversal
- Dave Nyzcepir, Bill Lucia and Timothy Clark join Route Fifty
- William Janus becomes president and publisher at The Daily Times
- Joseph Calchi becomes president and publisher at The Courier-Post
- Daddy Yankee and J Balvin performing at Telemundo's Latin Billboards
- Adam Brody joins untitled CBS comedy pilot
- Ray Stevenson joins the cast of Starz' 'Black Sails'
- Emily Bergl guesting on ABC's 'Scandal'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ
Job opening: Next president of TAB
Digital media buyer job in Salt Lake City
TV media buyer wanted in New York
Media buyer position to fill in Henderson, NV