Online shopping booms as Christmas nears
December 17, 2012
Online spending continues to boom as the holiday shopping season nears its end.
Some $33.8 billion has been spent on the web from Nov. 1 to Dec. 14, according to the latest data from comScore, up 13 percent over last year.
Last week shoppers really hit their computers, smartphones and tablets. On four days of the workweek spending was more than $1 billion, with the biggest day coming on so-called Green Monday, when $1.275 billion was spent.
Seven of the top 10 spending days in internet history have come this year, including the top four this holiday season.
Free Shipping Day, which takes place today, is expected to send sales to another peak as people struggle to get their items before Christmas Day next week.
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
More fallout from botched UVA rape story
Four hot trends in online advertising
Back to school guide: By the numbers
Free ice cream when temperatures soar
‘Significant Mother,’ notify next of kin
Tell us your thoughts on radio
TV’s odd infatuation with hoarders
Cable overnights: ‘Catch’ snags first
An old favorite returning to ‘GMA’?
Upfront update: ABC remains in stalemate
‘Zoo’ roars up to match a series high
Strong finale for ‘Tierra de Reyes’
- Bruce Kiernan and Zsuzsa Szemere rise at MEC
- Erin Mechanic becomes development producer at Spike TV
- Andy Weissberg and Erin Wanner rise at Animal Planet
- Jarrod Dicker becomes director of ad product at The Washington Post
- Cristian Farias becomes Supreme Court reporter at The Huffington Post
- Tim Starks becomes cyber security reporter at Politico
- Sam Kass becomes senior food analyst at NBC News
- Five ‘Daily Show’ executive producers staying with the show
- Troian Bellisario returning to USA's 'Suits'
- Tig Notaro starring in Amazon sitcom
- Dora Madison becomes a series regular on NBC's 'Chicago Fire'
- Queen Latifah and Mary J. Blige join NBC's 'The Wiz'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta