Online shopping booms as Christmas nears
December 17, 2012
Online spending continues to boom as the holiday shopping season nears its end.
Some $33.8 billion has been spent on the web from Nov. 1 to Dec. 14, according to the latest data from comScore, up 13 percent over last year.
Last week shoppers really hit their computers, smartphones and tablets. On four days of the workweek spending was more than $1 billion, with the biggest day coming on so-called Green Monday, when $1.275 billion was spent.
Seven of the top 10 spending days in internet history have come this year, including the top four this holiday season.
Free Shipping Day, which takes place today, is expected to send sales to another peak as people struggle to get their items before Christmas Day next week.
Nikki Finke may have a new purpose in 2015
Tell us, what was the big story of 2014?
Facebook: ‘Thrones’ was the year’s top show
Final tally: 190 new magazines launched in 2014
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
Sony: We’ll be releasing ‘The Interview.’ Really.
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
An up and down year for broadcast
The buzziest new cable shows of 2015
Our OOH outlook: More connectivity
Our newspaper outlook: Not good
Our magazine outlook: More upheaval
The ad outlook for 2015: Pretty decent
- Helen Prokos becomes group creative director at Publicis Hawkeye
- James Florez becomes Dallas GM at Allison+Partners
- Robyn Hurd, Michael Oesterlin and Lorenzo Bertolotti join A+E
- Nate Lanxon becomes senior editor at Bloomberg Media
- Marian Bull becomes associate digital editor at Saveur
- Byron Pitts becomes co-anchor at ABC's 'Nightline'
- Annie Wersching joins CW's 'The Vampire Diaries'
- Daniel Wu joins the cast of AMC's 'Badlands'
- Ashley Tisdale guesting on ABC Family's 'Young & Hungry'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver