Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18″ button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ surges to record finale
Fox wins a Wednesday littered with reruns
Philly: Auto driving big TV dollars
Defining the big issues in digital video
A stunt that goes over the rainbow
‘Salem,’ this witches’ brew boils over
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Best tube bets this weekend
Tuesday cable overnights: Solid start for ‘Fargo’
NBCU: We’re ramping up digital content
‘Divorce Court’ up 24 percent this season
Pivot upfront: Four new shows on the way
ABC’s ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ grows in later timeslot
- Sarah Amatuzio becomes VP and creative director at Alcone
- Tim Nolan becomes group creative director at Huge
- Jonathan Kim rises to digital engineering director at Media Kitchen
- Anand Kini rises to EVP of strategy at NBCUniversal
- Meaghan B. Murphy becomes executive editor at Good Housekeeping
- Mary Jeanne Cavanagh becomes EVP of ad sales at BabyFirst
- Steve McEvoy becomes VP of advertising sales at PageScience
- Howard Schneider becomes Federal Reserve reporter at Reuters
- Former 'The View' co-hosts returning to honor Barbara Walters
- Brad Paisley guesting on CBS's 'Two and a Half Men'
- MSNBC personality Lawrence O'Donnell injured in car accident
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media planner/buyer opening in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer opening in Austin
Online media buyer position in Provo, Utah
Digital media planner/buyer job in Minneapolis
Senior media planner job in Dallas/Fort Worth