Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18″ button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
‘Sharknado 2′ becomes a monster hit
Yet another spinoff for newspaper industry
Phoenix: TV is hot and getting hotter
‘Extant’ holds steady in new later timeslot
Cable’s winners and losers in July
Great art everywhere you look around
‘The Quest,’ off to the dungeon, knave
So, what’s the future for print magazines?
Yay! Boo! It’s the CrossFit Games.
Katie Couric signs off from syndication
IAB: Programmatic growing slower abroad
Lawsuit: Facebook responsible for ruined reps
Netflix reaches streaming deal with AT&T
- Carol Lombard becomes VP of integrated production at INNOCEAN USA
- Renee Peterson becomes VP of HR at Hearst Newspapers
- Melissa Drucker rises to SVP of TV sales at BBC America
- Rob Glaser rises to CEO at RealNetworks
- Tim Boell becomes VP of distribution at Outdoor Channel
- Julie Meisner Eagle becomes VP of production at Discovery Life Channel
- Josh Rubin and Allen Weiner join The Daily Dot
- Ilja Goossens becomes VP of business development at LoopMe
- Former football player Brady Quinn joins Fox Sports
- Actress Krysten Ritter guesting NBC's 'The Blacklist'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco