Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18″ button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
OMG: Meet Tiger Beat’s new investors
On the horizon, a DVR for the Xbox
Who listens to the most radio? Hispanics.
‘Wild’ matches second-best rating
Summer’s DVR winners: ‘Pines’ and ‘Dome’
UFC fight pounds the Twitter competition
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Coming, a new way to listen to FM radio
Study: Think digital video, think mobile
Whoa, wild animals lit brightly at night
‘Life in Pieces,’ lacking instructions
Jamming with country’s top acts
AT&T makes its first DirecTV play
- Jeffrey Gorder, Jane Delworth and Paula Biondich rise at mono
- Jennifer Putnam becomes CCO at Allen & Gerritsen
- Hollie Newton becomes executive creative director at Sunshine
- Katy Loria rises to chief revenue officer at Screenvision
- Marty Sartini Garner rises to senior editor at Flood Magazine
- Tasha Blasi Pannuzzo becomes SVP of marketing at Westwood One
- Oren Liebermann and Matt Rivers join CNN International
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum joins the cast of CBS's 'Supergirl'
- James Cromwell joins HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Falk Hentschel joins CW's 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Vivica A. Fox and Romeo Miller join TV One holiday movies
- Carla Gugino joins Showtime's upcoming 'Roadies'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois