Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18” button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
Where the real TV growth is: Down the dial
Rip-roaring week for cable, led by the zombies
Surprise: The hottest SVOD network is not Netflix
Meet the crew who can save you on Mount Everest
Sad men: Agency morale falls off a cliff
On the horizon, layoffs at WSJ and Barron’s
‘Man With a Plan’ off to a decent start on CBS
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Here they are, this TV season’s biggest DVR gainers
For YouTube, a looming battle over music rights
NBA tips off with a rise in CPMs and tighter inventory
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
It’s here: Media Life’s new sports newsletter
- Jenine Vadillo and Jessica Robb join MeringCarson
- Whit Haskel rises to Fox Sports SVP of brand marketing
- Rosemary Winters joins KMGi as EVP of growth and business development
- Mahesh Samat heading up Walt Disney Company in India
- Juan Devis becomes chief creative officer at KCETLink Media Group
- Rachel Webber becomes EVP of digital product at National Geographic Partners
- Justin Warner hosting ‘ChefShock’ on Twitch livestreaming platform
- Leyla Santiago joins CNN as correspondent in Mexico City
- Pentatonix playing opener for NBC’s ‘Thursday Night Football’
- ‘Simpsons’ producer Kevin Curran dies at age 59
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This month’s digital traffic data: August 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Search and analytics manager job in Columbus
Stamford agency needs a mass media manager
Media traffic specialist position in Stamford
Wanted: Cross channel media reporting analyst
Media research analyst opening in Stamford