Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18″ button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
For May sweeps, a three-way tie
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on sweeps’ final night
OMG, teens are so over Facebook
CBS snaps Fox’s eight-year win streak
Twitter increases security measures
Discovery launches online video network
CBS adds another comedy for next season
‘The Office’ series finale a social media hit
‘Hit the Floor,’ no, grab the remote
Rachel, I’m irked. My friend got a raise.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Des Moines
Opening for a director of sponshorship research
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI