Ofcom to Playboy: You’ve been naughty
January 18, 2013
Playboy has found itself in hot water in the UK, and no, that’s not a kinky new sex position.
The magazine publisher has been fined 100,000 pounds by the British communications regulator Ofcom, which says the Playboy-owned web sites Playboy TV and Demand Adult didn’t have enough controls to check if visitors were at least 18 years old.
The Demand Adult site took visitors to a page featuring explicit material when they clicked a button that said “Enter I am over 18,” with more content available by simply using a debit card.
The Playboy TV site wasn’t as explicit after users clicked the “I am 18” button, but it also offered more material with the use of a debit card.
Ofcom determined that neither methods could be considered an effective system for age verification and fined Playboy 65,000 pounds for Demand Adult and 35,000 pounds for Playboy TV.
According to Ofcom, asking for credit card information is much more effective than asking for debit cards, because credit cards aren’t available to those under 18.
How Bill Paxton’s death will impact ‘Training Day’
Finally, a new broadcast show has been canceled
‘How to Get Away With Murder’ equals a season high
Satellite’s now an afterthought in the era of digital radio
NASCAR spins its wheels as season gets underway
Best of the week: Ranking black American influencers
Paper cuts: Axe swings at The Financial Times
It’s time to get over the gimcrack of Times Square
Weekend TV: It’s Oscar time in la la land
People really didn’t like media coverage of the election
Cable overnights: ‘Alaskan Bush People’ rises in finale
ABC wins Wednesday with night’s top four shows
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
- Eight join at FCB Chicago
- Seth Kusiak rises to VP of infrastructure and security services at Advertising Specialty Institute
- John Podesta joins The Washington Post as contributing columnist
- Kim Lamoreaux joins DeForest Times-Tribune
- Lauren Burack rises to SVP of brand and consumer marketing at IFC
- Matthew Broderick starring in ‘Katrina: American Crime Story’
- Brad Garrett joins CBS drama pilot ‘The Get’
- Lea Michele joins ABC comedy pilot
- Lauren Graham joins Fox comedy ‘Linda From HR’
- Former Fox News Channel host Alan Colmes dies at 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York