Obama pic sets record for retweets
November 8, 2012
Viewership for this year’s presidential election results may have been down on television, but it set some records online.
Barack Obama’s tweet announcing that he had won re-election became the most-retweeted tweet in the history of Twitter.
Issued at 11:16 p.m. Eastern time, just minutes after most of the networks had declared him the winner, Obama’s tweet said simply “four more years” and linked to a photo of him embracing wife Michelle Obama.
The photo was retweeted more than 781,000 times as of this morning.
And the same picture posted on Facebook became the most-liked photo in the site’s eight-year history, drawing more than 3.9 million “likes” as of this morning.
Twitter clearly saw an election boost. The site reported 30,000 tweets per second at the height of the election results tabulating on Tuesday night, and it served up 31 million election-related tweets on the day.
Cable overnights: Big turnout for Bieber roast
CBS leads Daytime Emmy Awards noms
Time to winnow the bubble shows
Discovery upfront: Big bump in originals
Ratings arise for Easter programming
ABC rises Monday as other networks fall
Twitter gets busy with two awards shows
Indianapolis Star’s front-page editorial: ‘Fix this now’
‘American Odyssey,’ lost in the dark
Inside tips on buying mobile billboards
‘The Daily Show’ finds its new host
‘Walking Dead’ lumbers off with a record
‘A.D.: The Bible Continues,’ a stretch
- Mike Geiger becomes chief digital officer at David&Goliath
- Eric Segal and Gareth Goodall rise to managing partners at Anomaly
- Rafael Rizuto and Eduardo Marques become ECDs at 180LA
- Damien Marchi becomes global head of content at Havas Media
- Kevin Garrity becomes CEO at Gen Media Partners
- Nick Gilhool becomes VP of casting at Discovery Channel
- Alex Treadway becomes VP of leadership sales at The Washington Post
- Paula Goldstein Di Principe becomes fashion director at Refinery29
- Andrew Dumont becomes VP of marketing at Bitly
- Coleman Insights VP Chris Ackerman retires
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Out-of-home specialist available for all markets
Media planner/buyer job in Raleigh
Temp media buyer wanted in Hollywood
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ