Obama pic sets record for retweets
November 8, 2012
Viewership for this year’s presidential election results may have been down on television, but it set some records online.
Barack Obama’s tweet announcing that he had won re-election became the most-retweeted tweet in the history of Twitter.
Issued at 11:16 p.m. Eastern time, just minutes after most of the networks had declared him the winner, Obama’s tweet said simply “four more years” and linked to a photo of him embracing wife Michelle Obama.
The photo was retweeted more than 781,000 times as of this morning.
And the same picture posted on Facebook became the most-liked photo in the site’s eight-year history, drawing more than 3.9 million “likes” as of this morning.
Twitter clearly saw an election boost. The site reported 30,000 tweets per second at the height of the election results tabulating on Tuesday night, and it served up 31 million election-related tweets on the day.
Watch out, CBS cuts gap with NBC
ACM Awards take a dive on Twitter
ABC tops NBC newscast for third week
CBS’s ‘Scorpion’ grows in season finale
Coming, a boom in smartwatch ads
‘Saving My Tomorrow,’ save a half hour
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Suddenly, TV spending looks stronger
The new normal: Multiscreen viewing
New York Times wins three Pulitzers
‘The Prancing Elites Project,’ lotsa heart
So, what network will win May sweeps?
The season’s biggest trend: Diversity
- Luis Martinez becomes design director at 2C Creative
- Matt Gamewell rises to VP of national sales at Learfield Sports
- Charlotte Greensit becomes managing editor at The Intercept
- Christine Buhagiar rises to European region director at Agence France-Presse
- Linda Little rises to market president at iHeartMedia
- Axie Navas rises to senior gear editor at Outside magazine
- Amer Yaqub and Rebecca Frankel rise at Foreign Policy
- Christine Cattano rises to executive producer at Framestore
- Craig T. Nelson joins Netflix's 'Grace and Frankie'
- Mitch Pileggi returning for Fox's 'X-Files' reboot
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle