Obama pic sets record for retweets
November 8, 2012
Viewership for this year’s presidential election results may have been down on television, but it set some records online.
Barack Obama’s tweet announcing that he had won re-election became the most-retweeted tweet in the history of Twitter.
Issued at 11:16 p.m. Eastern time, just minutes after most of the networks had declared him the winner, Obama’s tweet said simply “four more years” and linked to a photo of him embracing wife Michelle Obama.
The photo was retweeted more than 781,000 times as of this morning.
And the same picture posted on Facebook became the most-liked photo in the site’s eight-year history, drawing more than 3.9 million “likes” as of this morning.
Twitter clearly saw an election boost. The site reported 30,000 tweets per second at the height of the election results tabulating on Tuesday night, and it served up 31 million election-related tweets on the day.
Readers: It will be a record Super Bowl
The rest of the best of the Super Bowl
‘Kids Baking Championship,’ what fun
Rachel, the stress from work is too much
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘Americans’ dips slightly
New from Snapchat, meet Discover
Survey: Native advertising will soar this year
Coming soon: Nick without the cable bill
Disney Junior planning Latin-inspired princess
‘Empire’ holds steady in fourth week
Havas combines two agencies into Helia
- Jeremy Gibney and Rob Esmudo join San Francisco agency Eleven
- Paul Pastor becomes EVP of network strategy at Discovery Channel
- Amy Hyland and Justin Nesci rise at Nickelodeon
- Pete Rumpel becomes chief sales officer at ABI Research
- Lincoln Lopez becomes VP and GM of social media at Univision
- Jim Lawson becomes regional manager at iHeartMedia
- John Reiss rises to executive producer at NBC's 'Meet the Press'
- Roberto Ruiz becomes news anchor at Azteca America
- Tyler James Williams joins CBS's 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Looking to fill a media planner job in Chicago
Senior media connections planner/buyer in Columbus
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York