Nielsen: Global ad spending up 2.4 percent in Q2
October 1, 2012
The slowdown that hit the U.S. ad economy during second quarter seemed to wallop the rest of the world as well.
Ad spending was up 2.4 percent worldwide during the April to June period, with emerging markets pacing much of that growth, according to the latest report from Nielsen’s quarterly Global AdView Pulse.
Middle East and Africa advertising grew at a torrid 19.6 percent rate over the year-ago period, and Latin American advertising was up 4.9 percent.
Europe struggled as the debt crisis continued to loom. Though ad spending grew in the UK, Turkey and Norway, overall spending in Europe was down 3.8 percent, with major declines in Greece, the Netherlands and Portugal.
U.S. ad spending was up 2.4 percent, slower than previous quarters. Canada fell 2 percent and Mexico was also down.
But the quarter did end on a slightly higher note. June ad spending rose 3.1 percent worldwide.
Total second-quarter ad spending was $139 billion, and total first-half spending was $266 billion.
Tags: ad spending, Africa, Canada, economy, europe, global ad spending, Greece, Latin American, Mexico, Middle East, Netherlands, nielsen ad spending, second quarter ad spending, Struggling Europe, turkey, U.S., worldwide ad spending
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
NBC locks up another summer victory
That final-season surge for ‘Sons’
‘Mysteries of Laura,’ the allure of Debra
For ‘Extant,’ the blastoff that didn’t
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner
Opening for a chief experiential officer