New magazine launches fall in 2013
October 9, 2013
New magazines launches are down this year, but they still easily outnumber magazine closures.
Through the first three quarters of the year, 138 new magazines have launched, according to MediaFinder.com, down from 181 new magazines during the first nine months of 2012.
Still, there have been about three times as many magazine launches as closures this year, with 45 titles shutting down. That’s down from 61 closures during the same period last year.
MediaFinder says the top categories for new magazines were food and regional interest, with new titles including Goodcents Cooking, Edible Long Island and Our Wisconsin.
Among trade titles, 17 new magazines launched during the first three quarters of the year, down from 25 launches a year ago. Meanwhile, 11 trade magazines have closed so far this year, down slightly from 12 a year ago.
CW tweaking three nights at midseason
Lots of surprises in Golden Globe nods
A merry night for ABC’s ‘Modern Family’
For TV, hitching on to new technology
Green Monday lives up to its name online
Goodbye, Bio channel, and hello to FYI
Cable overnights: ‘Sons’ closes season strong
For magazines, moving beyond print and digital
The five best Christmas specials
Why the bright outlook for local advertising
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
An early look at the Heisman favorite
Study: Millennials aren’t glued to smartphones
- Myles Kellam becomes director of client development at LevLane
- Elizabeth Tumulty rises to president of affiliate relations at CBS
- Bear Fisher becomes SVP of marketing at NBCUniversal
- Vernon Loeb becomes managing editor at The Houston Chronicle
- Jennie Morris and Jerry Blake join cable network Pivot
- Jeff Sottolano becomes director of programming at CBS Radio
- Four join online ad technology company Rubicon Project
- Bette Midler producing and starring in HBO's 'Mae West'
- Megan Mullally guesting on NBC's 'Sean Saves the World'
- Kevin Pollak joins CBS's comedy 'Mom'
- Dann Florek leaving NBC's 'Law & Order: SVU'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner opening in New York
Senior media buyer and planner in Denver
Programmatic media director in Chicago
Senior media planner position in Calgaray
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan