New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
Shows Trump hates are seeing big ad gains
Broadcast vs. cable: How the top shows stack up
The word: Time Inc. sale is imminent
Rundown: Which advertisers have jumped from YouTube
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
For HBO, doing hard time with Dwayne Johnson
CBS wins Friday with NCAA basketball
ABC pulls ahead with ‘World News Tonight’
For one TV ad, a case of premature congratulation
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
CBS dominates Thursday with more NCAA playoffs
Podcasting comes of age: What’s behind a recent boom
CBS renews a slew of shows, with a few missing
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency