New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
Facebook becomes No. 2 digital ad seller
Tell us, what were the year’s big media stories?
Katie Couric’s talk show ending
NFL: We may delay the Super Bowl
For TV, hitching on to new technology
For social media, embracing mobile
For newspapers, the hard task of change
Fox: We’ll wrap your gifts. Will you watch our shows?
For out of home, increasing interaction
For radio, the year of online listening
For magazines, moving beyond print and digital
Walmart tops list of best holiday ads
Seven predictions for media in 2014
- Thomas Crampton rises to managing director at Social@Ogilvy
- Marshall Ingwerson rises to editor at Christian Science Monitor
- Caterina Bartoli rises to EVP of media at The Media Kitchen
- Alexander Mahernia rises to North America CCO at Rosetta
- Bill Bergmann, Janet Dickinson and Joe Zamora rise at Starz
- Magnus Kastner becomes Northern Europe EVP at Viacom
- Henry B. Haitz III becomes Connecticut president at Hearst
- Jeanne Whalen joins the health and science bureau at Wall Street Journal
- Randy Minor becomes design director at Elle magazine
- Marcia Cross joins Fox's comedy pilot 'Fatrick'
- Josh Peck guesting on CBS's 'The Big Bang Theory'
- Judy Davis joins Fox's '24: Live Another Day'
- Actress Kristen Johnston diagnosed with rare form of lupus
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Freelance media planner opening in Chicago
Social media strategist job in Washington D.C.
Media buyer position in Colorado Springs
Senior media planner opening in New York
Senior media buyer and planner in Denver