New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
Remembering Ben Bradlee, editor
For the CW, two promising new shows
Coming, a new way to measure online TV
On TBS, a strong postseason even so
‘Constantine,’ fighting its own demons
Melissa Joan Hart, still a witchy woman
Cable overnights: Okay bow for ‘American Dad’
FX shuts down ‘The Bridge’
‘The Millers’ falls in move to Monday night
Pandora: Watch one ad, skip the others
Dish drops Turner networks in carriage dispute
Stop the presses: The one thing left and right agree on
This week’s cable ratings
- Four join Indianapolis agency Young & Laramore
- Four rise at Las Vegas agency SK+G
- Christine Lubrano rises to SVP of programming at IFC
- Adam Auriemma becomes deputy editor at Fusion
- Kim Riedell becomes head of product and marketing at Digilant
- John Haake becomes chief marketing officer at Verve
- Michael Trucco joins the cast of ABC's 'Scandal'
- Calista Flockhart and Eric McCormack join DirecTV's 'Full Circle'
- James Denton joins Hallmark Channel's 'The Good Witch'
- Leslie Jones becomes a regular on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Christian Slater joins USA’s ‘Mr. Robot’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago
Media buyer job in Medford, Oregon
Media planner position in Chicago