New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois