New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
Remembering James Gandolfini (Tony)
NBA Finals heading for a huge finale
Strong finale for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
Game 3 sets a record for NBC Sports Network
CNN’s ‘New Day’ bows to ho-hum numbers
Conde boots Lucky editor Brandon Holley
Poll: Very few trust the U.S. news media
Remembering Michael Hastings, journalist
This won’t be a great year for broadcast
Readers: CBS is the network to beat
Daytime Emmys, down but not out
‘Naked and Afraid,’ true adventure
So, what’s your take on magazines these days?
- Brian Powley rises to global president at iCrossing
- Steven Berns becomes CFO at Tribune Co.
- Terry Moran becomes chief foreign correspondent at ABC News
- Ben Gerst becomes SVP of development at Fox Sports Digital
- Ryan O'Hara becomes president of content at MSG
- Nancy Cohen becomes SVP of ad sales at UP
- TV writer Lisa de Moraes joins Deadline Hollywood
- Alex Price rises to director of Southeast sales at MundoFox
- Sue Renaldo becomes director of operations at Talent Partners
- John Hurt joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Liv Tyler joins HBO's 'The Leftovers'
- Fox News contributor Tobin Smith exits
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Director of digital ad operations in New York
Digital media planner job in London
Digital media director in San Diego
Broadcast investment supervisor in Toronto
Freelance broadcast buyer available