New editor for Time Inc. Sports Group
October 19, 2012
Sports Illustrated has a new point guard.
Longtime Time Inc. Sports Group editor Terry McDonell is moving upstairs at Time Inc., to be replaced by Paul Fitchtenbaum, who ran SI.com for years.
Chris Stone will become the magazine’s managing editor, up from his position as assistant ME.
McDonell had guided Sports Illustrated and its associated properties for a decade, pushing digital hard and playing a key role in getting SI onto the iPad. He’ll now be working on digital initiatives as a Time Inc. senior adviser.
Fitchtenbaum, who oversaw SI.com for eight years, is expected to have a similar focus moving forward, following a major reorganization over the summer that integrated SI’s print and digital properties into so-called verticals broken up by sport, eliminating many of the remaining barriers between the two forms of publication.
Sports Illustrated’s ad pages are down 4.8 percent this year through third quarter, though that’s better than rival magazines ESPN the Magazine (off 16.5 percent) and Sporting News (off 78.4 percent with a big cut back on print publication).
NBC’s ‘Tonight Show’ hits 11-month high
Friday overnights: ‘Last Man Standing’ lifts ABC
This week’s daypart ratings
Remembering Leonard Nimoy, ‘Star Trek’s’ Spock
Solid sendoff for ‘How to Get Away with Murder’
Alas, 2014 wasn’t good for advertising
Nickelodeon upfront: Cutting the cord
‘The Last Man on Earth,’ quite good
Rachel, I’m fed up with his dirty talk
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘O’Reilly’ tops 3 million again
CBS slates summer premiere dates
- Dan Matarelli becomes VP and director at SMG Performance Marketing
- Chris Gyorgy becomes group creative director at Havas Chicago
- Jonathan Lewis and Dave Ortega rise at McKee Wallwork + Co.
- Alan Brydon becomes CEO at the Outdoor Media Centre
- Mike Sundet becomes director of sports and entertainment at Momentum
- Remy Stern rises to chief digital officer at The New York Post
- Deena Schacter joins and Katie Tomlinson rises at Veranda
- Luz Maria Doria, Irma Martinez and Luz Avila-Kyncl join Siempre Mujer
- Mark Boudreaux becomes director of sales at Entercom New Orleans
- Duncan Lawrence and Sharna Morelli rise at Morpace
- Rob Stone becomes studio host for Fox's Women's World Cup
- Andrew J. West joins CW's 'Dead People'
- Adam Rodriguez joins ABC drama pilot 'Runner'
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager
Digital media buyer job in Springfield, MO
Assistant media planner job in Santa Monica
Digital media planner opening in Las Vegas