Nelson rises to editor-in-chief at Time Inc.
December 19, 2012
As expected, Martha Nelson has become the first female editor-in-chief in the 90-year history of Time Inc., succeeding the retiring John Huey yesterday.
Nelson takes over at a time of flux for Time Inc. and every other magazine publisher as they try to navigate the digital world, which has made some publications seem impossibly dated and others out of touch with readers’ expectations.
Nelson’s appointment had been expected from the moment Huey, who is moving on to a fellowship at Harvard’s Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, announced he was leaving.
She had served as Huey’s No. 2, editorial director, the past couple years. She was also launch editor at InStyle and People StyleWatch before that.
One of her first moves in her new position was recruiting former New York Times public editor Daniel Okrent to become interim corporate editor.
Rumors of impending job cuts continue to swirl around Time Inc., but Nelson refused to address the speculation during an interview with New York Post reporter Keith Kelly yesterday.
Tags: Daniel Okrent, editorial director, Harvard, john huey, keith kelly, magazines, martha nelson, new time inc editor in chief, new york post, new york times, time, time inc, time inc editor in chief
Time to winnow the bubble shows
How one agency deals with viewability
Ratings arise for Easter programming
‘American Odyssey,’ lost in the dark
So, what’s your outlook for this year’s upfront?
On April Fools’, celebrating the foolers
Cable overnights: Big turnout for Bieber roast
CBS leads Daytime Emmy Awards noms
Discovery upfront: Big bump in originals
ABC rises Monday as other networks fall
Twitter gets busy with two awards shows
Indianapolis Star’s front-page editorial: ‘Fix this now’
‘The Daily Show’ finds its new host
- Mike Geiger becomes chief digital officer at David&Goliath
- Eric Segal and Gareth Goodall rise to managing partners at Anomaly
- Rafael Rizuto and Eduardo Marques become ECDs at 180LA
- Damien Marchi becomes global head of content at Havas Media
- Kevin Garrity becomes CEO at Gen Media Partners
- Nick Gilhool becomes VP of casting at Discovery Channel
- Alex Treadway becomes VP of leadership sales at The Washington Post
- Paula Goldstein Di Principe becomes fashion director at Refinery29
- Andrew Dumont becomes VP of marketing at Bitly
- Coleman Insights VP Chris Ackerman retires
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Out-of-home specialist available for all markets
Media planner/buyer job in Raleigh
Temp media buyer wanted in Hollywood
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ