Nelson rises to editor-in-chief at Time Inc.
December 19, 2012
As expected, Martha Nelson has become the first female editor-in-chief in the 90-year history of Time Inc., succeeding the retiring John Huey yesterday.
Nelson takes over at a time of flux for Time Inc. and every other magazine publisher as they try to navigate the digital world, which has made some publications seem impossibly dated and others out of touch with readers’ expectations.
Nelson’s appointment had been expected from the moment Huey, who is moving on to a fellowship at Harvard’s Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, announced he was leaving.
She had served as Huey’s No. 2, editorial director, the past couple years. She was also launch editor at InStyle and People StyleWatch before that.
One of her first moves in her new position was recruiting former New York Times public editor Daniel Okrent to become interim corporate editor.
Rumors of impending job cuts continue to swirl around Time Inc., but Nelson refused to address the speculation during an interview with New York Post reporter Keith Kelly yesterday.
Tags: Daniel Okrent, editorial director, Harvard, john huey, keith kelly, magazines, martha nelson, new time inc editor in chief, new york post, new york times, time, time inc, time inc editor in chief
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Will ‘Community’ return?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
How much is new media encroaching on old?
Premiere of ‘The Game’ scores for BET
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.