Nelson rises to editor-in-chief at Time Inc.
December 19, 2012
As expected, Martha Nelson has become the first female editor-in-chief in the 90-year history of Time Inc., succeeding the retiring John Huey yesterday.
Nelson takes over at a time of flux for Time Inc. and every other magazine publisher as they try to navigate the digital world, which has made some publications seem impossibly dated and others out of touch with readers’ expectations.
Nelson’s appointment had been expected from the moment Huey, who is moving on to a fellowship at Harvard’s Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, announced he was leaving.
She had served as Huey’s No. 2, editorial director, the past couple years. She was also launch editor at InStyle and People StyleWatch before that.
One of her first moves in her new position was recruiting former New York Times public editor Daniel Okrent to become interim corporate editor.
Rumors of impending job cuts continue to swirl around Time Inc., but Nelson refused to address the speculation during an interview with New York Post reporter Keith Kelly yesterday.
Tags: Daniel Okrent, editorial director, Harvard, john huey, keith kelly, magazines, martha nelson, new time inc editor in chief, new york post, new york times, time, time inc, time inc editor in chief
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
As other spending slows, digital surges
‘Galavant,’ ambitious but disappointing
As the year ends, Rachel reminisces
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘Colbert Report’ surges
Networks: Hey, don’t let Aereo do that
Order from Amazon, get it in an hour
Survey: People trust the internet, for now
Vme TV airing Christmas marathon
‘Survivor’ paces CBS to a Wednesday win
Where people watch online video: PCs
- Justine Bloome becomes head of strategy at Carat USA
- Carol Duncan becomes SVP and CFO at Barker
- Bill Robinson becomes VP of partnership development at Home Team Sports
- Sharon Dastur becomes SVP of programming integration at iHeartMedia
- Tasneem Raja becomes senior digital editor at NPR
- Mike Wilson becomes editor at The Dallas Morning News
- Ian Bremmer becomes foreign affairs columnist at Time
- Dan Berman and Sacha Scoblic join National Journal
- Cosme Lopez rises to SVP and GM of pay-TV at Cisneros Media
- John Lambertus becomes VP of revenue operations at Vdopia
- Former CBS News executive Emerson Stone dies at 86
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver