Murphy named NY Times business editor
December 13, 2012
More than a year after taking over as executive editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson has selected her business editor.
Longtime reporter and editor Dean E. Murphy is taking over the position, which had been held by Larry Ingrassia since 2004.
Ingrassia, who was wooed from The Wall Street Journal, will remain with the company in what Abramson termed “a larger role,” though she has not said what that role will be.
Murphy has been at The Times for 12 years. He first served as a political reporter in San Francisco, then moved to deputy national editor and, most recently, deputy editor of the business section, a position he’s held for two years.
Prior to that he was a foreign correspondent for The Los Angeles Times, covering the war in the former Yugoslavia and also spending stints in South Africa and Poland.
Abramson took over as executive editor in September 2011. There’s been speculation that she would install her own choice as business editor since then.
Tags: correspondent, dean murphy, deputy editor, executive editor, foreign correspondent, jill abramson, larry ingrassia, new york times, new york times business editor, new york times personnel, ny times business editor, own, political, san francisco, South Africa, The Wall Street Journal
Summer’s most DVRed shows: Dramas
Gold Cup final tops Spanish-language TV
Amid controversy, ‘Cait’ does great
British Open final round shines on Twitter
Big bump for ‘Bachelorette’ finale
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
The real growth in digital radio: Mobile
Play the over-the-top guessing game
Summer’s top shows: Oldies mostly
‘Knock Knock Live,’ snore, snore
Tell us your thoughts on radio
For Telemundo, one caliente summer
From Pandora, a new way to listen ad-free
- Julius Dunn becomes director of talent at DDB North America
- Phil Talbot rises to managing partner at DWA
- Jenn Vickery rises to senior director of digital at Nebo
- Kim Tranmer becomes managing director at Leavitt Digital
- Ian Trombley rises to president of operations at NBCUniversal
- Lleni Sandoval rises to VP of human resources at NBCU Hispanic
- Peter Krogh and Jacco de Bruijn join PhotoShelter
- Ashley Gorman and Patricia Childress join syndicated talk show 'FABLife'
- Diane Keaton joins the cast of HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Terry O'Quinn joins the cast of ABC's 'Secrets & Lies'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta