Murphy named NY Times business editor
December 13, 2012
More than a year after taking over as executive editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson has selected her business editor.
Longtime reporter and editor Dean E. Murphy is taking over the position, which had been held by Larry Ingrassia since 2004.
Ingrassia, who was wooed from The Wall Street Journal, will remain with the company in what Abramson termed “a larger role,” though she has not said what that role will be.
Murphy has been at The Times for 12 years. He first served as a political reporter in San Francisco, then moved to deputy national editor and, most recently, deputy editor of the business section, a position he’s held for two years.
Prior to that he was a foreign correspondent for The Los Angeles Times, covering the war in the former Yugoslavia and also spending stints in South Africa and Poland.
Abramson took over as executive editor in September 2011. There’s been speculation that she would install her own choice as business editor since then.
Tags: correspondent, dean murphy, deputy editor, executive editor, foreign correspondent, jill abramson, larry ingrassia, new york times, new york times business editor, new york times personnel, ny times business editor, own, political, san francisco, South Africa, The Wall Street Journal
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
The local Super Bowl ads at a glance
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
‘Yes, that billboard was shot on my iPhone’
Euro 2016: Ready for a big push
HBO Now subscribers: 800,000 (really)
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
‘Scandal’ tackles a taboo topic
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager