Murphy named NY Times business editor
December 13, 2012
More than a year after taking over as executive editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson has selected her business editor.
Longtime reporter and editor Dean E. Murphy is taking over the position, which had been held by Larry Ingrassia since 2004.
Ingrassia, who was wooed from The Wall Street Journal, will remain with the company in what Abramson termed “a larger role,” though she has not said what that role will be.
Murphy has been at The Times for 12 years. He first served as a political reporter in San Francisco, then moved to deputy national editor and, most recently, deputy editor of the business section, a position he’s held for two years.
Prior to that he was a foreign correspondent for The Los Angeles Times, covering the war in the former Yugoslavia and also spending stints in South Africa and Poland.
Abramson took over as executive editor in September 2011. There’s been speculation that she would install her own choice as business editor since then.
Tags: correspondent, dean murphy, deputy editor, executive editor, foreign correspondent, jill abramson, larry ingrassia, new york times, new york times business editor, new york times personnel, ny times business editor, own, political, san francisco, South Africa, The Wall Street Journal
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois