Murphy named NY Times business editor
December 13, 2012
More than a year after taking over as executive editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson has selected her business editor.
Longtime reporter and editor Dean E. Murphy is taking over the position, which had been held by Larry Ingrassia since 2004.
Ingrassia, who was wooed from The Wall Street Journal, will remain with the company in what Abramson termed “a larger role,” though she has not said what that role will be.
Murphy has been at The Times for 12 years. He first served as a political reporter in San Francisco, then moved to deputy national editor and, most recently, deputy editor of the business section, a position he’s held for two years.
Prior to that he was a foreign correspondent for The Los Angeles Times, covering the war in the former Yugoslavia and also spending stints in South Africa and Poland.
Abramson took over as executive editor in September 2011. There’s been speculation that she would install her own choice as business editor since then.
Tags: correspondent, dean murphy, deputy editor, executive editor, foreign correspondent, jill abramson, larry ingrassia, new york times, new york times business editor, new york times personnel, ny times business editor, own, political, san francisco, South Africa, The Wall Street Journal
New from Kantar, a programmatic buying tool
ABC slips ahead of NBC in nightly news
Behind the coming changes in the upfront
Poor MTV: Hot on Twitter, less so on TV
‘Real History of Science Fiction,’ fun
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Pucker up: It’s NHL playoff time
CBS on Chelsea Handler: Not gonna happen
Yet another big social network acquisition
Starting today, a new paper for LA
Big events spark huge Twitter buzz
ABC’s ‘Resurrection’ rises with DVR viewing
CBS’s Monday night takes a hit without ‘Mother’
- Paul Longo becomes managing director at Accordant Media
- Kristy Kneiding becomes public relations manager at Cord Media
- Marc d'Avignon and Jay Berry become ECDs at Translation
- Courteney Monroe rises to CEO at National Geographic Channels
- Rita Mullin rises to general manager at Science Channel
- Alan Chartrand becomes Boston market president at Clear Channel
- John Wattiker rises to international fashion manager at Esquire
- Raj Choudhury becomes chief executive at BLiNQ Media
- Jason Shulman becomes SVP of sales at Vdopia
- ABC Entertainment president Paul Lee signs new deal
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Online media buyer position in Provo, Utah
Digital media planner/buyer job in Minneapolis
Senior media planner job in Dallas/Fort Worth
Media buyer/planner wanted in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Cleveland