Murphy named NY Times business editor
December 13, 2012
More than a year after taking over as executive editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson has selected her business editor.
Longtime reporter and editor Dean E. Murphy is taking over the position, which had been held by Larry Ingrassia since 2004.
Ingrassia, who was wooed from The Wall Street Journal, will remain with the company in what Abramson termed “a larger role,” though she has not said what that role will be.
Murphy has been at The Times for 12 years. He first served as a political reporter in San Francisco, then moved to deputy national editor and, most recently, deputy editor of the business section, a position he’s held for two years.
Prior to that he was a foreign correspondent for The Los Angeles Times, covering the war in the former Yugoslavia and also spending stints in South Africa and Poland.
Abramson took over as executive editor in September 2011. There’s been speculation that she would install her own choice as business editor since then.
Tags: correspondent, dean murphy, deputy editor, executive editor, foreign correspondent, jill abramson, larry ingrassia, new york times, new york times business editor, new york times personnel, ny times business editor, own, political, san francisco, South Africa, The Wall Street Journal
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on sweeps’ final night
OMG, teens are so over Facebook
CBS snaps Fox’s eight-year win streak
Twitter increases security measures
Discovery launches online video network
CBS adds another comedy for next season
‘The Office’ series finale a social media hit
‘Hit the Floor,’ no, grab the remote
Rachel, I’m irked. My friend got a raise.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
NBC wins penultimate night of sweeps
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI
Associate media director in New York
Digital media planner opening in Boston