More NOTW phone hacking suits settled
December 18, 2012
More than a year after it first broke, the phone hacking scandal continues to play out in London, where Rupert Murdoch’s News International settled yet more lawsuits last week.
Another 22 settlements went on the books, though the amount being paid to the victims of the hacking was not disclosed.
News of the World was accused of illegally accessing the voicemail of hundreds of subjects of stories before shutting down in summer of 2011, in response to public outrage over the apparent hacking of a teenage murder victim’s voicemail.
Hugh Tomlinson, the lawyer for the claimants, said more suits are expected to be settled by year’s end.
The claimants this time included the ex-girlfriend of singer Robbie Williams and Colin Stagg, a man falsely accused of murder.
News Corp. has paid out hundreds of millions to the victims over the past 18 months.
‘How to Get Away With Murder’ equals a season high
Satellite’s now an afterthought in the era of digital radio
NASCAR spins its wheels as season gets underway
Best of the week: Ranking black American influencers
Paper cuts: Axe swings at The Financial Times
It’s time to get over the gimcrack of Times Square
Weekend TV: It’s Oscar time in la la land
People really didn’t like media coverage of the election
Cable overnights: ‘Alaskan Bush People’ rises in finale
ABC wins Wednesday with night’s top four shows
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
Who’s leading the February sweep? It’s complicated.
So-so start for HBO’s much-hyped latest new series
- Eight join at FCB Chicago
- Seth Kusiak rises to VP of infrastructure and security services at Advertising Specialty Institute
- John Podesta joins The Washington Post as contributing columnist
- Kim Lamoreaux joins DeForest Times-Tribune
- Lauren Burack rises to SVP of brand and consumer marketing at IFC
- Matthew Broderick starring in ‘Katrina: American Crime Story’
- Brad Garrett joins CBS drama pilot ‘The Get’
- Lea Michele joins ABC comedy pilot
- Lauren Graham joins Fox comedy ‘Linda From HR’
- Former Fox News Channel host Alan Colmes dies at 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York