More NOTW phone hacking suits settled
December 18, 2012
More than a year after it first broke, the phone hacking scandal continues to play out in London, where Rupert Murdoch’s News International settled yet more lawsuits last week.
Another 22 settlements went on the books, though the amount being paid to the victims of the hacking was not disclosed.
News of the World was accused of illegally accessing the voicemail of hundreds of subjects of stories before shutting down in summer of 2011, in response to public outrage over the apparent hacking of a teenage murder victim’s voicemail.
Hugh Tomlinson, the lawyer for the claimants, said more suits are expected to be settled by year’s end.
The claimants this time included the ex-girlfriend of singer Robbie Williams and Colin Stagg, a man falsely accused of murder.
News Corp. has paid out hundreds of millions to the victims over the past 18 months.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit