More NOTW phone hacking suits settled
December 18, 2012
More than a year after it first broke, the phone hacking scandal continues to play out in London, where Rupert Murdoch’s News International settled yet more lawsuits last week.
Another 22 settlements went on the books, though the amount being paid to the victims of the hacking was not disclosed.
News of the World was accused of illegally accessing the voicemail of hundreds of subjects of stories before shutting down in summer of 2011, in response to public outrage over the apparent hacking of a teenage murder victim’s voicemail.
Hugh Tomlinson, the lawyer for the claimants, said more suits are expected to be settled by year’s end.
The claimants this time included the ex-girlfriend of singer Robbie Williams and Colin Stagg, a man falsely accused of murder.
News Corp. has paid out hundreds of millions to the victims over the past 18 months.
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ surges to record finale
Fox wins a Wednesday littered with reruns
Philly: Auto driving big TV dollars
Defining the big issues in digital video
A stunt that goes over the rainbow
‘Salem,’ this witches’ brew boils over
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Best tube bets this weekend
Tuesday cable overnights: Solid start for ‘Fargo’
NBCU: We’re ramping up digital content
‘Divorce Court’ up 24 percent this season
Pivot upfront: Four new shows on the way
ABC’s ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ grows in later timeslot
- Sarah Amatuzio becomes VP and creative director at Alcone
- Tim Nolan becomes group creative director at Huge
- Jonathan Kim rises to digital engineering director at Media Kitchen
- Anand Kini rises to EVP of strategy at NBCUniversal
- Meaghan B. Murphy becomes executive editor at Good Housekeeping
- Mary Jeanne Cavanagh becomes EVP of ad sales at BabyFirst
- Steve McEvoy becomes VP of advertising sales at PageScience
- Howard Schneider becomes Federal Reserve reporter at Reuters
- Former 'The View' co-hosts returning to honor Barbara Walters
- Brad Paisley guesting on CBS's 'Two and a Half Men'
- MSNBC personality Lawrence O'Donnell injured in car accident
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media planner/buyer opening in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer opening in Austin
Online media buyer position in Provo, Utah
Digital media planner/buyer job in Minneapolis
Senior media planner job in Dallas/Fort Worth