More NOTW phone hacking suits settled
December 18, 2012
More than a year after it first broke, the phone hacking scandal continues to play out in London, where Rupert Murdoch’s News International settled yet more lawsuits last week.
Another 22 settlements went on the books, though the amount being paid to the victims of the hacking was not disclosed.
News of the World was accused of illegally accessing the voicemail of hundreds of subjects of stories before shutting down in summer of 2011, in response to public outrage over the apparent hacking of a teenage murder victim’s voicemail.
Hugh Tomlinson, the lawyer for the claimants, said more suits are expected to be settled by year’s end.
The claimants this time included the ex-girlfriend of singer Robbie Williams and Colin Stagg, a man falsely accused of murder.
News Corp. has paid out hundreds of millions to the victims over the past 18 months.
What radio must do to reinvent itself
Young love is totally digital these days
Good start for Friday sitcom ‘Dr. Ken’
NBC’s ‘Tonight Show’ takes premiere week
‘Best Time Ever,’ bit of exaggeration
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A night of declines for broadcast
Early takeaways from the TV season
Fact, is, people still trust advertising
‘Dr. Ken,’ a malady with no known cure
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Rachel, I said awful things to a client
Weekend TV: A slew of premieres
- Kelli Robertson becomes managing director of planning at R/GA
- Dave Monk becomes ECD at Publicis London
- Tom Hamling and Tim Eger rise to group creative directors at GSD&M
- John Partilla becomes CEO at Screenvision
- Julian Zilberbrand becomes EVP of audience science at Viacom
- Jennifer Sarlin becomes SVP of marketing at TLC
- John Duff becomes director of business development at beIN SPORTS
- Shelley Zimmerman becomes head of scripted series at AwesomenessTV
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven