More layoffs hit NBC Universal
November 13, 2012
More jobs are on the chopping block at NBCUniversal.
The broadcast and cable giant is reducing its workforce by 100, according to The Wall Street Journal, bringing the total number of employees cut over the past few months to 500.
This week’s layoffs will come largely at G4 network, a Comcast channel that got rolled into NBCU when the latter was purchased by the cable giant nearly two years ago.
G4 sustained a previous round of layoffs several weeks ago, when the long-running programs “Attack of the Show” and “X-Play” were canceled and their staffs let go.
NBCU is rumored to be chopping 500 jobs total during the final months of the year. That tally includes the roughly two dozen layoffs at “The Tonight Show” earlier this year.
Other NBCU networks that have been hit by layoffs include Syfy, Bravo, USA, Oxygen, E! and Style, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Comcast is looking to cut costs, of course, but also to eliminate duplicate jobs and inefficiencies that arose when it took over NBCU.
Tags: broadcast, broadcast and cable, broadcast networks, cable, comcast, g4, g4 layoffs, jobs, layoffs, nbc, nbc layoffs, nbcu, nbcuniversal, nbcuniversal layoffs, The Wall Street Journal, this week, tonight show, tonight show layoffs, usa
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘Relatively Insane,’ totally inane
For NBC’s Thursday, an early close
Cable overnights: New high for ‘Chrisley’
The word: FCC guts net neutrality rules
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia