More layoffs hit NBC Universal
November 13, 2012
More jobs are on the chopping block at NBCUniversal.
The broadcast and cable giant is reducing its workforce by 100, according to The Wall Street Journal, bringing the total number of employees cut over the past few months to 500.
This week’s layoffs will come largely at G4 network, a Comcast channel that got rolled into NBCU when the latter was purchased by the cable giant nearly two years ago.
G4 sustained a previous round of layoffs several weeks ago, when the long-running programs “Attack of the Show” and “X-Play” were canceled and their staffs let go.
NBCU is rumored to be chopping 500 jobs total during the final months of the year. That tally includes the roughly two dozen layoffs at “The Tonight Show” earlier this year.
Other NBCU networks that have been hit by layoffs include Syfy, Bravo, USA, Oxygen, E! and Style, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Comcast is looking to cut costs, of course, but also to eliminate duplicate jobs and inefficiencies that arose when it took over NBCU.
Tags: broadcast, broadcast and cable, broadcast networks, cable, comcast, g4, g4 layoffs, jobs, layoffs, nbc, nbc layoffs, nbcu, nbcuniversal, nbcuniversal layoffs, The Wall Street Journal, this week, tonight show, tonight show layoffs, usa
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
NBC locks up another summer victory
That final-season surge for ‘Sons’
‘Mysteries of Laura,’ the allure of Debra
For ‘Extant,’ the blastoff that didn’t
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner
Opening for a chief experiential officer