Mobile ad spending soars again in 2013
March 19, 2014
Mobile ad spending had another year of triple-digit growth in 2013.
Global mobile ad spending reached $17.96 billion last year, according to eMarketer, up 105 percent from $8.76 billion in 2012. And while the growth will begin to slow, eMarketer predicts the medium will continue to build by double digits through at least 2018.
For this year eMarketer forecasts mobile spending to jump another 75.1 percent to $31.45 billion. By 2018 it sees mobile spending reaching $94.91 billion.
One major change in mobile in recent years is the rise of Facebook. In 2013 the social network’s share of global mobile ad spending was 17.5 percent, up from just 5.4 percent in 2012.
That was still well behind Google, however, which claimed a market share of 49.3 percent last year.
But Facebook will continue to grow as it places greater importance on mobile. In 2011 eMarketer says just 11 percent of Facebook’s ad revenue was from mobile, but that number will jump to 63.4 percent this year.
Best tube bets this weekend
The February sweep’s winners and losers
President and CEO fizzle out at TheBlaze
Pew: Race influences local news consumption
More changes at the top at Viacom
A hefty fine for a misleading advertisement
Your selfie on a digital billboard, for a good cause
You guessed it, another record for ‘Empire’
The hottest social network: Instagram
Who’s watching ‘House of Cards,’ anyway?
How kids consume different media
‘American Crime,’ storytelling at its best
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
- Tim Libby becomes SVP and digital director at Starcom USA
- Cedric Devitt becomes chief creative officer at Big Spaceship
- Tony Zito rises to CEO at Rakuten Marketing
- Nick Maine, Sam Thompson and Ashraf Mohammad join Digital Pulp
- Scott Bailey becomes automotive president at TEN
- Bill Brink rises to media editor at The New York Times
- Cara Rubinsky rises to associate Europe editor at The AP
- John Strong and Alexi Lalas leading FS1's MLS coverage
- Three join the cast of AMC's 'The Night Manager'
- Griffin Gluck joins NBC comedy pilot 'Cuckoo'
- Martha Stewart among Justin Bieber roasters
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager