Mobile ad spending soars again in 2013
March 19, 2014
Mobile ad spending had another year of triple-digit growth in 2013.
Global mobile ad spending reached $17.96 billion last year, according to eMarketer, up 105 percent from $8.76 billion in 2012. And while the growth will begin to slow, eMarketer predicts the medium will continue to build by double digits through at least 2018.
For this year eMarketer forecasts mobile spending to jump another 75.1 percent to $31.45 billion. By 2018 it sees mobile spending reaching $94.91 billion.
One major change in mobile in recent years is the rise of Facebook. In 2013 the social network’s share of global mobile ad spending was 17.5 percent, up from just 5.4 percent in 2012.
That was still well behind Google, however, which claimed a market share of 49.3 percent last year.
But Facebook will continue to grow as it places greater importance on mobile. In 2011 eMarketer says just 11 percent of Facebook’s ad revenue was from mobile, but that number will jump to 63.4 percent this year.
Lessons from the Bruce Jenner interview
‘The Casual Vacancy,’ of human failings
Make it four in a row for ‘World News’
The lowdown on Mayweather-Pacquiao
CBS’s ‘Stalker’ grows in Monday move
Maker: Expect a lot of Disney tie-ins
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
These days, people prefer streaming
Buzzfeed: We’re video distributors now
How to target Millennials in print
‘Swab Stories,’ better left to daytime TV
Will NBC bring Brian Williams back?
The big sads for ‘One Big Happy’
- Jim Houck becomes ECD at Lowe Campbell Ewald
- Zola Mashariki becomes head of programming at BET
- Kim Nussbaum and Don Burk rise at The McClatchy Co.
- Alex Rogers becomes a Congressional reporter at National Journal
- Brad Herman becomes chief business development officer at Verve
- Blake Burrus becomes EVP of customer success at ThinkVine
- Ed Henry covering Hillary Clinton for Fox News Channel
- Jake Tapper becomes host of CNN's 'State of the Union'
- Dora Madison Burge joins NBC's 'Chicago Fire'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
Associate comms director opening in Boston
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC