Mobile ad spending soars again in 2013
March 19, 2014
Mobile ad spending had another year of triple-digit growth in 2013.
Global mobile ad spending reached $17.96 billion last year, according to eMarketer, up 105 percent from $8.76 billion in 2012. And while the growth will begin to slow, eMarketer predicts the medium will continue to build by double digits through at least 2018.
For this year eMarketer forecasts mobile spending to jump another 75.1 percent to $31.45 billion. By 2018 it sees mobile spending reaching $94.91 billion.
One major change in mobile in recent years is the rise of Facebook. In 2013 the social network’s share of global mobile ad spending was 17.5 percent, up from just 5.4 percent in 2012.
That was still well behind Google, however, which claimed a market share of 49.3 percent last year.
But Facebook will continue to grow as it places greater importance on mobile. In 2011 eMarketer says just 11 percent of Facebook’s ad revenue was from mobile, but that number will jump to 63.4 percent this year.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago