Megyn Kelly getting a primetime slot
July 3, 2013
Fox News Channel, so dominant for so long in primetime, is about to get a makeover.
The network said yesterday that Megyn Kelly will be getting a primetime slot when she returns from maternity leave later this year.
The network did not specify what timeslot she will take over or who she will replace, but the speculation is that her rise will lead to Greta Van Susteren getting the boot.
Van Susteren, who recently extended her deal with Fox, hosts the 10 p.m. show on the network, which saw the gap between it and No. 2 CNN decline to just 136,000 viewers in the key adults 25-54 demo during second quarter, according to Nielsen.
It’s unlikely that Bill O’Reilly, who hosts the No. 1 cable news show, or Sean Hannity, one of the biggest names on FNC, will be replaced by Kelly. Van Susteren thus seems like the most logical choice.
Kelly appeals to a younger audience than some of the network’s other anchors, who tend to be older and male.
Fox News said yesterday that it has also renewed the contracts of O’Reilly, Hannity, Bret Baier and Shepard Smith.
Best tube bets this weekend
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done.
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
Ben Bradlee, in other people’s words
How the MRC investigates snafus
New York City: TV is suddenly tight
‘Celebrity Name Game,’ bubblegum
For ‘Newsreaders,’ a dash of the absurd
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago