Megyn Kelly getting a primetime slot
July 3, 2013
Fox News Channel, so dominant for so long in primetime, is about to get a makeover.
The network said yesterday that Megyn Kelly will be getting a primetime slot when she returns from maternity leave later this year.
The network did not specify what timeslot she will take over or who she will replace, but the speculation is that her rise will lead to Greta Van Susteren getting the boot.
Van Susteren, who recently extended her deal with Fox, hosts the 10 p.m. show on the network, which saw the gap between it and No. 2 CNN decline to just 136,000 viewers in the key adults 25-54 demo during second quarter, according to Nielsen.
It’s unlikely that Bill O’Reilly, who hosts the No. 1 cable news show, or Sean Hannity, one of the biggest names on FNC, will be replaced by Kelly. Van Susteren thus seems like the most logical choice.
Kelly appeals to a younger audience than some of the network’s other anchors, who tend to be older and male.
Fox News said yesterday that it has also renewed the contracts of O’Reilly, Hannity, Bret Baier and Shepard Smith.
Stunner: Univision axes ‘Sabado Gigante’
CBS wins for the third straight night
A la carte, kinda: Verizon’s new deal
Online video’s not getting the ad dollars
May’s most-anticipated sweeps stunts
‘Tatau,’ silliness in the South Pacific
Rachel, I’m thinking of going on my own
Weekend TV: The NBA playoffs tip off
Tell us, which bubble shows will survive?
Tops for OTT: Baltimore & Minneapolis
Veteran ‘Survivor’ finishes No. 1
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Nat Geo Channel upfront: Five new shows
- Matt Baker becomes head of planning at JWT NY
- Kevin Amos and Dan Gbur becomes VPs at Brunner
- Mark Lopez becomes EVP and GM at Univision Digital
- Sara Morris becomes senior director of government affairs at iHeartMedia
- Meggan Crum becomes accessories director at InStyle
- Neil Versel, Thornton McEnery and Kathryn Rubino join Breaking Media
- Anand Subramanian becomes SVP of operations at Synacor
- Christina Cole joins the cast of USA's 'Suits'
- Four join the cast of AMC's upcoming adaptation 'The Night Manager'
- Dave Matthews Band performing on 'Legends on Letterman'
- NY Times reporter and editor Barbara Strauch dies at age 63
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle
Digital media planner wanted in Boston
Out-of-home specialist available for all markets
Media planner/buyer job in Raleigh