Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
‘Quantico’ gets a vote of confidence
Getting out of home measurement right
‘Blindspot’ bumps up in week four
Whoa: No more naked ladies in Playboy
Magazines’ new play: Money-back guarantee
‘American Horror Story’ screams on Twitter
Fall TV’s winners and losers (so far)
L+7 surprises from premiere week
‘Casual,’ that about captures it
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
For ‘Best Time Ever,’ a tougher time
WashPost reporter convicted in Iran
OK return for NBC’s sitcom ‘Undateable’
- Toygar Bazarkaya and Matt Howell join Havas Worldwide
- Kathryn McFarlane rises to creative director at Team One
- Steve Elliott becomes VP of branded entertainment at Comedy Central
- BBC director of television Danny Cohen exiting
- Preston Hillman becomes principal data scientist at PushSpring
- Matt Melnick becomes SVP of global sales at Tracx
- Ben Sprecher becomes chief product officer at Catalina
- Cole Wright becomes host of NFL Network's 'NFL HQ'
- Taye Diggs guesting on Fox's 'Rosewood'
- Rihanna performing on CBS's 'Victoria's Secret Fashion Show'
- Paul Reubens guesting on Fox's 'Gotham'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven