Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Martin Bashir parts ways with MSNBC
Facebook: We want quality over quantity
‘Sons of Anarchy’ tops cable Tuesday
Fox: Super Bowl advertising is sold out
King of the kids specials: ‘Rudolph’
Out-of-home ad spending growth slows
‘Come Dine With Me,’ a tasteless stew
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
‘Music,’ hoping to hit the right notes
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.