Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager