Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Fox’s summer play: Keeping it real
Weekend TV: NHL playoffs heat up
Three-year high for NBA on ESPN
Sponsors give FIFA a yellow card
Hulu drops the Duggar family
Judge: Yahoo class action can proceed
New ‘Daily Show’ host will bow this fall
Fox wins night as ‘MasterChef’ rebounds
This season’s broadcast superlatives
NBC’s summer play: Mixing it up
It’s a slam dunk for the NBA
‘Nightingale,’ troubled flight of fantasy
- Sherri Goldstein becomes director of integrated strategy at Moonrocks
- Anand Kini becomes CFO at NBCUniversal
- John Verre rises to VP of automotive sales at Cablevision
- Tom Callahan becomes CFO at Reader's Digest Association
- Nicole Flatow becomes enterprise editor at Guardian U.S.
- Chris Connelly becomes interim editor in chief at Grantland
- Sean Lindsay rises to chief technology officer at Tapjoy
- Neil Janowitz becomes editorial director at Vulture.com
- John McCauley becomes VP of content and strategy at OneUp Sports
- Randy Jackson signs production deal with Endemol Shine North America
- Former head of King World Michael King dies at age 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh