Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
‘American Idol’ finale takes a big dive
CBS upfront analysis: Cruising at full speed
ESPN snags U.S. Open rights away from CBS
NBC: We’re seeing record Olympics ad sales
CW upfront leftovers: Comedy in the wings
Carell returns for ‘The Office’ finale
For the CW, changes on every night
‘Does Someone Have to Go?,’ yikes
For USA, a new focus on laughs
Imagine, a crowdfunded newspaper
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
Fox wins night but part one of ‘Idol’ finale fades
- Elizabeth Tumulty becomes EVP of affiliate relations at CBS
- Kurt Davis becomes VP of news services at CBS News
- Michael J. Hayes becomes SVP and group head at Hearst Television
- Steven Lerner and Freddy James rise at Scripps Networks
- Michael Musto and Michael Feingold leave the Village Voice
- Alexandra Senes becomes French edition editor in chief at Harper's Bazaar
- Matt Hansen becomes editor at large at Powder
- Jim Delaney rises to CEO at Marketwired
- Stephanie Elam becomes a correspondent at CNN
- Kelly Evans becomes co-anchor at CNBC's 'Squawk on the Street'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Associate media director in New York
Digital media planner opening in Boston
Assistant media planner in Jacksonville, Fla.
Digital media specialist job in Austin
Opening: New business director for West Coast