Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
Nickelodeon upfront: Cutting the cord
FCC votes yes on new net neutrality laws
Solid rebound for Fox’s Daytona 500
Yes, ‘Empire’ hits yet another series high
Alas, 2014 wasn’t good for advertising
The Big Four: Crossing the big gray line
The midseason’s winners and losers
Pretending to be Michael Jordan
‘Secrets and Lies,’ hidden a bit too well
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
For ABC, one smart Thursday play
Study: Most of us have binge watched a show
Cable overnights: OWN’s ‘Haves’ tops the night
- Dan Matarelli becomes VP and director at SMG Performance Marketing
- Chris Gyorgy becomes group creative director at Havas Chicago
- Jonathan Lewis and Dave Ortega rise at McKee Wallwork + Co.
- Alan Brydon becomes CEO at the Outdoor Media Centre
- Mike Sundet becomes director of sports and entertainment at Momentum
- Remy Stern rises to chief digital officer at The New York Post
- Deena Schacter joins and Katie Tomlinson rises at Veranda
- Luz Maria Doria, Irma Martinez and Luz Avila-Kyncl join Siempre Mujer
- Mark Boudreaux becomes director of sales at Entercom New Orleans
- Duncan Lawrence and Sharna Morelli rise at Morpace
- Rob Stone becomes studio host for Fox's Women's World Cup
- Andrew J. West joins CW's 'Dead People'
- Adam Rodriguez joins ABC drama pilot 'Runner'
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager
Digital media buyer job in Springfield, MO
Assistant media planner job in Santa Monica
Digital media planner opening in Las Vegas