Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
The latest: Bloomberg Pursuits folds print edition
Victoria’s Secret sashays to No. 1 on Monday night
Orlando is the best city to party in on New Year’s Eve
Dallas Cowboys’ latest win tops social media
Five ad spending trends to watch for next year
Pondering the future of troubled Pandora (cont’d.)
Here are the top cable channels among Millennials
Back from the dead, yes, it’s Paste magazine
Introducing Media Life’s Out of Home Premium
Honoring Jimmy V with good early-season matchups
Time’s up: The Apple Watch appears to be tanking.
‘This Is Us’ rises to broadcast’s top L+3 drama
The worldwide leader in ad blocking: Poland
- Robert Arrindell becomes programmatic director at Rouge Media
- Mark Andersen becomes group creative director at Colle+McVoy
- Stephen Mooallem becomes editor in chief at The Village Voice
- Bruce Perlmutter becomes SVP of production at Condé Nast Entertainment
- Julia Ioffe becomes foreign policy reporter at The Atlantic
- Yoel Flohr becomes SVP of franchise development at AMC
- Dorothy Crompton becomes VP of format licensing at Fox TV Distribution
- Steve Dennen becomes head of partnerships at Simmons Research
- Nick McCarthy becomes UK and EMEA managing director at Signal
- Alexandra Breckenridge joins NBC's 'This Is Us'
- Jimmy Kimmel hosting ABC's Academy Awards
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: August 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
SEO and SEM manager opening in Pittsburgh
Media supervisor opening in New York
Media buyer/planner position in Madison, WI
Cincinnati agency needs a senior media strategist (online)
Senior media buyer position in San Diego