Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
Trump: Pay up or I’ll drop this debate
Discovery’s new TV Everywhere service
‘Big Bang Theory’ delivers big DVR numbers
‘Bones’ stars sue Fox over profits
Patriots’ first loss a big win on Twitter
Solid numbers for ‘Superstore’ preview
Cyber Monday: What worked and what didn’t
Study: Brand loyalty key on Black Friday
Note to readers: We were hacked
Coming at you, the midseason premieres
Where mobile is failing: Big data
‘Wow, that’s a lotta Christmas trees!’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
- Mary Lee Schneider becomes president and CEO at SG360
- Brittany Resnick becomes head of The Door's social media division
- Michelle Ronan Noteboom joins Amendola Communications
- Suzanne Kaufman and Christine Fontana join DGital Media
- Valerie Cabrera and Melissa Landau join AMC Studios
- Liana Huth becomes VP of programming innovation at Entercom
- Shannon Knoepke becomes market manager at CBS Radio
- Mike Woosley becomes chief operating officer at Lotame
- Rachel Nichols leaving CNN to return to ESPN
- Juanes and Trisha Yearwood join CBS's Frank Sinatra special
- TV news journalist Linda Ellerbee retiring
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner opening in Boston
Assistant media planner job in Torrance, Calif.
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York