Magazine closures way down this year
October 2, 2012
So far this year magazine launches have outpaced closures three to one.
Through the first three quarters of the year 181 new magazines have launched, according to the online publication database MediaFinder.com, compared to 61 that have closed.
The top three categories for launches were regional interest, food and lifestyle. New titles have included the lifestyle publication Mud and Magnolias and the luxury title Du Jour.
The 181 new launches was actually down from 200 during the first nine months of 2011, but closures were down even more, from 128 last year to 61 in 2012. Among the titles that have closed are Stuff and several from the iPad publisher Nomad Editions, including Uncorked.
Twenty-five new titles have launched so far this year in the business-to-business category, while 12 have closed. MediaFinder.com includes Atlantic Media's new online business publication Quartz in this category.
NBCU’s Olympics coverage, by the numbers
Uber to drivers: Please listen to Pandora
ABC’s premiere strategy: Rolling through October
NBC springs back ahead of ABC on Monday night
Set to soar: Programmatic TV advertising
The media we consume: What’s hot, what’s not
Upfront begins its chug to the finish line
The coming great shift in mobile advertising
America’s most patriotic brands: Jeep and Disney
Tell us, what’s your take on ad agency kickbacks?
For ‘Zoo,’ maintaining that animal instinct
Shocker: Global newspaper readership rises
Correction: Those 126 papers closed over a decade
- Matthieu Habra becomes head of Havas' new network Adcity
- Nils Leonard, Lucy Jameson and Natalie Graeme leave Grey London
- Roy Huhta becomes chief product officer at West Cary Group
- Sheryl Grigsby becomes GM at True Blue Media
- Starz CEO Chris Albrecht adds network president to his duties
- Keith Bradsher becomes Shanghai bureau chief at NY Times
- Nancy O’Dell hosting CBS's 'Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular'
- Matthew Goode joins WGN America's 'Roadside Picnic'
- Freida Pinto joins the cast of Showtime's 'Guerrilla'
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: May 2016
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Associate media director position in LA
Media assistant opening in Northern Virginia
Freelance broadcast planner/buyer available
Assistant media buyer job in Fort Worth
Needed in Louisville: In-house media buyer