Longtime editor Zinczenko leaving Men’s Health
November 20, 2012
As Anna Wintour is to Conde Nast, David Zinczenko has long been to Rodale, a celebrity editor whose personal fame often outshined that of the magazine he edits, Men’s Health.
Apparently that had begun to wear on Rodale’s ownership, which wanted a brand that outshined its editor and not the other way around.
Now Zinczenko is out as editor in chief of Men’s Health, reports The New York Post, which quotes Rodale chief executive officer Maria Rodale as saying that the decision was mutual but initiated by the Rodales.
“His contract was up at year end, and we decided it was a good time to make a change,” she tells Keith Kelly.
Menshealth.com editor Bill Phillips will take over the print magazine, the latest in an increasingly long line of digital editors being tapped to help revive the print side.
Rodale Books head Steve Perrine is also leaving in the shakeup, and Kelly reports that Perrine and Zinczenko may be teaming on a new venture.
Zinczenko, the best-selling author of “Eat This, Not That” and “The Abs Diet,” had been at Rodale for 20 years and was also executive vice president and general manager of Rodale’s Healthy Living Group.
He is a frequent guest on “Today” and dated actress Rose McGowan for years.
Tags: Bill Phillips, david zinczenko, eat this not that, editor in chief, executive vice president, Healthy Living Group, keith kelly, maria rodale, men's health, print, rodale, Rodale Books, Steve Perrine, time, zinczenko
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.