Layoffs at Conde Nast may continue today
October 11, 2012
The axe swung at Condé Nast yesterday, and it’s not expected to stop chopping until at least tomorrow.
At least a dozen staffers were let go, most of them on the editorial side at Self magazine, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly.
Vice president of media relations for digital and corporate communications Susan Portnoy also lost her job after more than six years in her position.
The cuts are part of a mandate by Condé Nast to reduce costs by 10 percent this year, the latest round of cost-cutting following what was a brutal recession. The company also wants to reduce costs by 5 percent next year.
There are rumors that the layoffs will continue today, and Kelly says Glamour and GQ are in danger, though he notes that The New Yorker and Vanity Fair, two of the company’s most successful brands, are believed to be safe.
Nikki Finke may have a new purpose in 2015
Tell us, what was the big story of 2014?
Facebook: ‘Thrones’ was the year’s top show
Final tally: 190 new magazines launched in 2014
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
Sony: We’ll be releasing ‘The Interview.’ Really.
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
An up and down year for broadcast
The buzziest new cable shows of 2015
Our OOH outlook: More connectivity
Our newspaper outlook: Not good
Our magazine outlook: More upheaval
The ad outlook for 2015: Pretty decent
- Helen Prokos becomes group creative director at Publicis Hawkeye
- James Florez becomes Dallas GM at Allison+Partners
- Robyn Hurd, Michael Oesterlin and Lorenzo Bertolotti join A+E
- Nate Lanxon becomes senior editor at Bloomberg Media
- Marian Bull becomes associate digital editor at Saveur
- Byron Pitts becomes co-anchor at ABC's 'Nightline'
- Annie Wersching joins CW's 'The Vampire Diaries'
- Daniel Wu joins the cast of AMC's 'Badlands'
- Ashley Tisdale guesting on ABC Family's 'Young & Hungry'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver