Layoffs at Conde Nast may continue today
October 11, 2012
The axe swung at Condé Nast yesterday, and it’s not expected to stop chopping until at least tomorrow.
At least a dozen staffers were let go, most of them on the editorial side at Self magazine, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly.
Vice president of media relations for digital and corporate communications Susan Portnoy also lost her job after more than six years in her position.
The cuts are part of a mandate by Condé Nast to reduce costs by 10 percent this year, the latest round of cost-cutting following what was a brutal recession. The company also wants to reduce costs by 5 percent next year.
There are rumors that the layoffs will continue today, and Kelly says Glamour and GQ are in danger, though he notes that The New Yorker and Vanity Fair, two of the company’s most successful brands, are believed to be safe.
‘Saving My Tomorrow,’ save a half hour
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Suddenly, TV spending looks stronger
The new normal: Multiscreen viewing
New York Times wins three Pulitzers
‘The Prancing Elites Project,’ lotsa heart
So, what network will win May sweeps?
The season’s biggest trend: Diversity
Behind ‘Sabado Gigante’s’ cancellation
In Norway, the end of FM radio
HBO to bar: No ‘Thrones’ viewing parties
‘New Girl’ doubles rating with DVR viewing
Country music awards top Sunday
- Kevin Foreman becomes digital creative director at Moroch Partners
- Joyce Jenereaux rises to publisher at The Detroit Free Press
- David Chivers becomes president and publisher at The Des Moines Register
- Matt Ericson rises to associate editor at The New York Times
- Scott Hopeck rises to New York market president at iHeartMedia
- Nada Stirratt becomes CEO at Verve Mobile
- ESPN EVP of sales and marketing Sean Bratches exiting
- Susan Kesser becomes VP of media relations at FX
- Pete Rose becomes a guest studio analyst at Fox Sports
- Dominic Cooper joins the cast of AMC's 'Preacher'
- Sterling K. Brown joins FX's 'American Crime Story'
- Longtime CBS Radio personality Scott Mason dies
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Assistant media planner wanted in San Francisco
Media planner position open in Charlotte
Media planner and content manager opportunity
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle