Layoffs at Conde Nast may continue today
October 11, 2012
The axe swung at Condé Nast yesterday, and it’s not expected to stop chopping until at least tomorrow.
At least a dozen staffers were let go, most of them on the editorial side at Self magazine, according to The New York Post’s Keith Kelly.
Vice president of media relations for digital and corporate communications Susan Portnoy also lost her job after more than six years in her position.
The cuts are part of a mandate by Condé Nast to reduce costs by 10 percent this year, the latest round of cost-cutting following what was a brutal recession. The company also wants to reduce costs by 5 percent next year.
There are rumors that the layoffs will continue today, and Kelly says Glamour and GQ are in danger, though he notes that The New Yorker and Vanity Fair, two of the company’s most successful brands, are believed to be safe.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago