Layoff twist: Choose who keeps their job
December 13, 2012
Just when you thought getting laid off near the holidays couldn’t get any worse, there’s the arrangement the Kansas City Star apparently put forth to veteran reporters Karen Dillon and Dawn Bormann.
The two women were told this week that one would be leaving the paper involuntarily.
Here’s the catch: They had to decide between themselves which one it would be.
KCConfidential.com reports that the reporters were told that only one of them can continue in her job. Because Dillon had seniority, she had the right to take the layoff package being offered or pass on it. If she passed, then Bormann would be booted.
Star management was vilified yesterday on Jim Romenesko’s Facebook page and on Twitter for the “Hunger Games”-esque scenario.
Though K.C. management has not confirmed the arrangement, Romenesko received confirmation of the validity of the report from Dillon, who broke the story of Paul “Pee Wee Herman” Reuben’s arrest for lewd conduct at a movie theater back in 1991.
KCConfidential.com reported last night that Bormann will be leaving.
Another series low for ‘American Idol’
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.